Perimeter L.E.D lighting

Ohhhh Derrick likey!! Well done

I placed an order for a few RGB LED slips. Perimeter lighting is now officially on the list for this season's upgrades. FYI - I went with IP68 (submersible) SMD5050 300 LED 15M Taotronics strips, and 44 key IR remote control color change controllers. For me, it was cheaper to buy components separately rather than go with kits. I will run separate controllers for each side so I have the option to go green/red to mimic navigation lights in addition to all of the other color choices including fade strobe etc. I bought 3 strips, and will cut one down to add an additional 5' or so to a 15 M strip on each side, and will be using inline amplifiers to compensate for controller power limitations. Looking to be a fun project.

Do you happen to know what SMD5050 is an acronym for? And were ther really 15m? I've only been able to find 5m and an email to taotronics revealed that the controllers are only capable of powering 10m.

Do you happen to know what SMD5050 is an acronym for? And were ther really 15m? I've only been able to find 5m and an email to taotronics revealed that the controllers are only capable of powering 10m.
Yeah, my bad not 15M, 5M or 16 point something feet. That's why I'm using three 5M strips - I'm cutting down the third so I can splice the smaller section together with a full section to make a full 20 - 22 feet both port and starboard, and will use a separate controller and inline amplifier on port and starboard. Should have 5 feet or so of LED strip left over to play with onboard too, so will probably end up getting a third contoller. SMD, probably has many definitions, the one I think is relevant is surface mounted device, and the number 5050 specifies the series of the LED chips used on my strips. The 300 indicates the number of SMD 5050 LEDS on the 5M strip,and I understand that strips with 300 SMD 5050 RGB LEDs are currently the brightest RGB 5M strips available. You are correct about the RGB LED controllers too, at least the controllers I ordered are max 74 watts, which is about what 5M on the brightest setting will draw with the 300 SMD 5050 RGB LED strips I have. The controllers can power two 5M strips only if those strips are the lower output 150 quantity LED 5M strips. The way around this limitation is to use inline amplifiers. They boost the signal from the controller, and provide additional power. The amplifiers mount inline, but require their own positive and negative power connections in addition to that of the controller. The inline amplifiers I purchased are called "MRGB-A4 Mini RGB Amplifier" - superbrightleds carries them - just keep in mind that I don't have them in hand, so cannot confirm how well they work yet. I also understand that the controllers are all over the place with respect to ordering of Red, Green and Blue. So, I plan to verify what the controller thinks should be red matches up to the red connection on the strip before soldering.

I saw the amps. I wonder if you could run one controller in parallel to 3 amps and the strips directly from there instead of in series (ie. controller - strip - amp - strip - amp - strip)

I saw the amps. I wonder if you could run one controller in parallel to 3 amps and the strips directly from there instead of in series (ie. controller - strip - amp - strip - amp - strip)
Yes, although I've only seen the wiring diagram below with the series configuration, I'm pretty sure you could use a three to one splitter from the controller to three amps, then on to the strips.

3304-dwg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, you would probably want to connect one of these to your controller, then on each of the three pigtails, run an amp then strip.

31Ge6FGxf0L.jpg

I would prefer this:

Controller - Amp - LEDs

L Amp - LEDs

L Amp - LEDs
I've been thinking a bit more about this. Might be cheaper and easier to use three controllers, and just bundle the IR receivers such that 1 remote controls all three. This way you avoid purchasing any inline amplifiers as well as a three way splitter. 44 key controllers are only $5 - $7 plus shipping, cheaper than most amplifiers.

Jim I agree. I found a manufacturer that makes a controller that has two outputs that will power 5 m each. Since I need 22 feet, that's about 1.5 sections of 5 m strips. Each controller will control a side. I also bought RGB plus power wire on eBay to extend the line from under the helm where I'm going to keep the controllers. I'm going to fish the IR sensor to my dashboard just under the windshield just above the gauges. I plan on spacing them just enough apart that I can cover one sensor with my finger at a time to give individual control of each side.

Done. I ordered the style with the pigtail so I can solder them to a power lead to send to a spare switch on my dash. Also Jim, have you given much thought on what the heck you're going to stick the lights to? I'm considering using small wafer head self tappers to screw a 1" wide strip of galv to the bottom edge of the visible crossmembers so I have a continuous solid surface to stick the strips to... The other option is to have them facing outward instead of downward but not sure I'd like how that will look.

I was thinking about mounting them facing downwards against the L shaped lip of where the pontoon attaches to the crossmembers. Not the best pic, but you can kind of see what I am talking about.

288wcvo.jpg

Although it does make access easier, flipping the pontoon to install perimeter lights is not required. LOL

In that case, I would look at installing something aluminum or plastic opposed to galvanized otherwise you might see some "dissimilar metal" corrosion. Might be worth a trip to Home Depot or the like to see what's readily available. My toon is still in storage, I may not have the lip either. In any event, after using the self adhesive, I do plan on following up with zip ties, or the silicone brackets supplied with the led strips to ensure the strips are secured. I wonder how Bennington installs the factory perimeter lights? Anybody got a pic?

Update -These guys use Clear plastic 'pvc' channels, look to be in 4' lengths.

http://www.pontoonstuff.com/Pontoon-Boat-Under-Deck-Lights-P493.aspx

Update #2 - Here's a place on Amazon that sells a 5 pack of 3' sections for $23:

http://www.amazon.com/Strip-Light-Mounting-Channel-Case/dp/B008B6UXR0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1363292974&sr=8-3&keywords=led+strip+mounting+channel

I'm still thinking there's a vinyl product at H.D. that would do the job cheap. Maybe even split PVC rigid tubing.

What about those plastic tubes they put around flouresent tubes in case they break?

Back