Photos!

My wife hates snakes. She is dealthy terrified of them. I curb stomped one in our old sub during a walk. We have not seen any at the lake. I once even got in the paddle boat as it appeared there was a snake on the surface about 100 yards out. Turned out to be a stick.

I do not like snakes either.  A couple of weeks ago there was a small 2' garter snake on the steps at the lake.  I walked around the long way to avoid it.  Everyone at camp gets a kick out of me telling the story because each time I tell it I add another foot to the length of the snake, it is now an 8' monster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the snakes around here are harmless and I usually like seeing them. Rattlesnakes on the other hand scare the crap out of me, especially with dogs around. Last year we found one after dark about 10 feet off the bow of the boat where we were camped. We had to get rid of that one.

A couple other times I've found them in slot canyons while canyoneering. They always seem to be right at the bottom of a drop where a flood washed them in. And of course being stuck in there always makes them extra irritable. Once I rappelled right on top of one and didn't notice until I was off rope and I was wondering what that sound was, and then another time I almost climbed down right on top of this little guy. No bites yet, thank goodness, but I do get my active dogs the rattlesnake vaccine each year. 

moonshine-keg-knoll-7.jpg

No bites yet, thank goodness, but I do get my active dogs the rattlesnake vaccine each year. 
I didn't even know they made such a thing?? So if they get bit, it does not affect them? 

I didn't even know they made such a thing?? So if they get bit, it does not affect them? 
It gives them better resistance to the venom. It may still affect them, but it buys you time to get them to the vet before it kills them or does serious damage. Usually we'd be the better part of the day, sometimes involving miles of hiking, before we could get ours in. It costs us like $40 per year so well worth it considering where our dogs roam. More info on it here: http://www.redrockbiologics.com/rattlesnake_vaccine_faq.php

Nick, great pictures. I am not a snake lover. Kings and gopher snakes always get a pass. Rattlesnakes and sidewinders get something else. I have had my share of encounters with both. We have a bunch down here. However, nothing compares with my way too close encounter with a five foot boomslang or 10 foot Black Mamba in Namibia. Lesson learned: never go hunting in Namibia during the rainy season. I will look for the pictures.

Cheers, Steve

I took my daughter out fishing for Father's day on the Benny.  She did a great job of letting Dad catch all the fish until I said "you need to catch a photo worthy fish".  5min later, she pulled this hog in!!

Absolutely love that she loves fishing with me.  Proud Dad and fish like this will keep her coming back for many more fishing trips :).

WOW nice fish !!
My daughter says thanks...of course, I just took the picture :)

The problem now is that she thinks every time we go out she should catch one that big! 

She should catch one that big!

Our city has a balloon fest each year. The weather finally cooperated for a launch last night. As we live east of the event they take off and float over the lake.

4A4FBF38-56B2-4D61-B3D4-CC999DA809CC_zps7u8yfkbr.jpg

BBBBBBBenny! Benny! Nice looking combo there! I'll have to get mine together for a group photo as well!

An Indian Lake sunset from Orchard Island (taken a couple blocks from our lake house)

DSCN2513_zpsmbqkrslr.jpg

Went out to one of the islands on Sunday and look who I found............................Spinzone!

gallery_1200_549_451170.jpg
Hmmm, the thing I'm wondering is what did he do so wrong that Mrs. Spin abandoned him on an island???? Hehe

Back