Pontoon Cover

safaucette

Reaction score
I’m looking for a new boat cover for my Bennington. I found a guide on the best pontoon boat covers. (https://www.pontooners.com/best-pontoon-boat-cover/) They recommend the Yescom 600D, the New Vortex, and the EmpireCovers covers. Anyone use any of these and can advise on the quality, or have any other recommendations. So far I’m leaning towards the Yescom cover. 

I’m looking for a new boat cover for my Bennington. I found a guide on the best pontoon boat covers. (https://www.pontooners.com/best-pontoon-boat-cover/) They recommend the Yescom 600D, the New Vortex, and the EmpireCovers covers. Anyone use any of these and can advise on the quality, or have any other recommendations. So far I’m leaning towards the Yescom cover. 

I have an EmpireCovers and don't like it.  The straps tore off after the first use.  I am going to put brass grommets on it and use bungee cords to attach it to the trailer.  Their straps are very poor.

What are your plans for the cover? Mooring or trailering. If you plan to tow with it, have one made. Upholstery shop. Has to fit tight.

Agree w/prd2hnt on getting an upholstery shop to make you one. We had a custom Sunbrella cover made last year and we couldn't be happier with it. My original Bennington cover did its job lasting 12 years. It was faded as hell but it protected the interior/upholstery/carpet like it was supposed to......

Custom made cover at a local shop! Our R25 cover was made out of black shark skin material. It's very light and strong. Best thing is that there's very little time involved on maintaining,only 303 fabric guard on the stitching. Our cover is used 24/7 everyday in all weather. The boat stays on the uncovered lift year round. Even holds up to 12" of snow!

I've had sunbrella also,and loved it too. But it is much heavier than shark skin. Most importantly,tell the shop what the cover will be used for so it will hold up to you expectations.

I have the heavier sun tells trailerable cover made. Pics in my gallery.

The problem with trailering with a cover is in the aerodynamics of pontoon boats--being big and square.  The wind just tugs and blows off the covers.  And with the cost of them being so much, it's too risky.

I would like to have a lightweight cover for my pontoon--like on my show car.  But I cannot even keep it on my car--blowing off in a normal windy day.  Heavier covers work so much better--not blowing off.

Another issue is that modern pontoon boats have different shaped fencing--which is not square or rectangle.  Unless the cover is a custom made product, it's not going to fit tightly.  And I have no desire to pay $1500 for another cover.

We're just fortunate to have our boats in a boathouse out of the weather.  Except for winter, I seldom use my mooring cover even.

Snaps are the weak link. I've thought about putting some grommets along the bow edge in between the snaps and tying them down when on the highway.  In my mind it's that front edge that will rip off first.

Snaps are the weak link. I've thought about putting some grommets along the bow edge in between the snaps and tying them down when on the highway.  In my mind it's that front edge that will rip off first.

Custom made mooring covers are the only way to go as far as I'm concerned. My other boats all had them and the pontoon covers traveled extremely well at highway speeds. They all only had snaps only. But on the pontoon cover,I added extra snaps when the cover was made.Some where about 1' OC across the front and several feet down the side.

Sorry Semp,but I'm still old school on this one!

When I brought our boat down here from Virginia I didn't think the cover would survive the 6 hour drive so we took it off. It's a good thing it was a beautiful day!/gallery/album_749/gallery_1283_749_87523.jpg

Speaking of snaps on the front of the mooring cover, where can I get more of those? I have about 3 or 4 of the male part of the snap that is screwed to the boat, that have been bent beyond use by something. 

Speaking of snaps on the front of the mooring cover, where can I get more of those? I have about 3 or 4 of the male part of the snap that is screwed to the boat, that have been bent beyond use by something. 

Something meaning trailer stops.   B)  Check here

Last edited by a moderator:
That page should be the ticket. Thanks, and another thanks to you for your service to our country. I saw that link that was posted about you being in that magazine Link posted.  :Like:

Back