Pontoon versus Tritoon

Quick question...........

Why are the twin ellipticals so much faster than a Tri toon?!?

What lakeliving said.  The ellipticals provide a "flatter" surface to the water, owing to the 32" design, so they're not digging in.  You also don't have as much weight.  When I switched from the ellipticals to the SPS I lost about 8 mph.  Everything else on the boat was the same above the deck, as well as the same boating environment, so it was a pretty good test.

I'm really noodling over whether to go back to them.  They were really fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
What lakeliving said.  The ellipticals provide a "flatter" surface to the water, owing to the 32" design, so they're not digging in.  You also don't have as much weight.  

Boat Builder shows 25" vs Elliptical (150hp setup), as 100# lighter with the 25" toons ???

Just a side note, I had  "surprise $$$" show up the week of our boat settlement. If we had known that $$$ was coming back in October, we would have upgraded to ellipticals. (future use of course ;) )

Boat Builder shows 25" vs Elliptical (150hp setup), as 100# lighter with the 25" toons ???

Just a side note, I had  "surprise $$$" show up the week of our boat settlement. If we had known that $$$ was coming back in October, we would have upgraded to ellipticals. (future use of course ;) )

That's fair.  I was comparing apples to oranges.  I was comparing the twin ellipticals that I had to the tritoon SPS that I have now, and the difference in weight is just over 750 lbs.

Bought my second elliptical pontoon a year ago, went from a 22 SLX extended platform boat to a 21SLX without the extended platform. When ordering the boat, I was concerned about the weight difference, for I wanted the most speed I could get with 150hp. I to looked in the literature and found the little weight difference, which lead me to call Bennington and talk to an engineer, who in turn told me that the literature had not been updated, and I should see about 400 lbs less. I guess what I am trying to say is, that the literature is not always right. The 22SLX with a standard 150 would only do about 39mph with the standard prop, the 21 SLX with a 150 SHO will only do 42mph with a SDS prop. My experience with elliptical tubes is the boat has extremely good hole shot and runs on top of the water (or planes) with very little power, and takes the waves great. The ride maybe a little rougher than a tri toon, and the turn radius wider. In my opinion, for me this would not be the boat for any kind of water sports, power steering would help, but the boat turns extremely flat and a real shape turn may put a few passengers on the floor. The boat serves our needs needs well, all we do is cruise, but if I want to get somewhere quick, there is not a problem. With a true GPS the boat is doing a strong 30 mph  at about 4200 rpm.

Wow,PADS already?

Oh no .... no PADS. Just a missed opportunity due to the unknown. I actually was debating on getting a cost for two ellipticals from my dealer, but figured it's way overkill on a 20 hp lake (after the fact). Would have been different cost factor if ordered originally. 

Oh no .... no PADS. Just a missed opportunity due to the unknown. I actually was debating on getting a cost for two ellipticals from my dealer, but figured it's way overkill on a 20 hp lake (after the fact). Would have been different cost factor if ordered originally. 

Maybe TomS can grab you a set when he gets the others for tcp.

Well, got my final answer today.  No insurance payout.  They pressed the marina, but it's a case of "Well, we've never had a complaint about electrolysis in the past", and because I don't have any proof showing the power cable in the water.....

Looked at the used pontoons and they're too beat up.  So now I'm down to the SPS replacement at $16k.  Decided that if I'm spending that kind of money, I'm going all in on a new boat.  Very expensive lesson learned, but it's all part of life.

Talked it over with Blondie, and she's in full agreement.  She also wants the ellipticals again as she misses the speed!  (I gotta tell you, I totally didn't expect that answer from her; after the last fiasco with the ellipticals, I didn't think she'd even consider them again, but she's really big on them again).  So building a couple of boats and will let you guys know how we end up, but it's definitely going to be ellipticals.

Damn insurance people! 

Can you just put ellipticals back on yours? 

Damn insurance people! 

Can you just put ellipticals back on yours? 

No, not really.  I asked about that and it gets messy because of the 32 gallon fuel tank in the SPS - which then has to go away and get reconfigured for the 24 gallon again with the ellipticals.  And even then I'm still looking at beaucoup money - just to get it back to where it was 5 years ago.  It would really turn into a Franken-toon then (that's what I started calling the boat when I was looking at the used pontoons LOL)!

No, I just gotta "suck it up, Buttercup" and get a new boat.  Very happy that Blondie is on board with the plan.  Makes shopping for a new boat MUCH less stressful.

That's a very sad report.  Is Marina Mike's willing to take it on a trade if you buy a new boat from them?  I sure hope so.  I know how you feel, sometimes you just got to bite the bullet an move on.

I'm talking with a number of dealers on the best path forward.  Should have some numbers in a day or two.

WELL, the bright side is that you will have a 10 yr. warranty on the new boat. Just trying to be positive with the situation! Good luck shopping.

Sooooo, I have to ask ... Do you just (heavy cringe) scrap the current boat?

WELL, the bright side is that you will have a 10 yr. warranty on the new boat. Just trying to be positive with the situation! Good luck shopping.

Yeah but that 10 year warranty would probably not cover that. We thought of doing a dock storage and leave it in the water but all the trouble we have with our first boat and leaking tubes we decided against it. Then again we had plugs in the tubes and drove that thing for 3 years and just drained the water out when we got off the water. I ended selling it to a guy that said he could fix the tubes and went out and bought a new one. From all the information I gathered trying to find out about the holes in the old tubes I doubt I will ever have my boat in the water at a dock for an extended period of time.  Electrolysis seems to be an all to often problem with most boat docks with electricity. 

Sooooo, I have to ask ... Do you just (heavy cringe) scrap the current boat?

I'm thinking swap toons and it becomes a rental. You should see some of the rentals at our marina. I think they got their money's worth 10 times over. 

I'm talking with a number of dealers on the best path forward.  Should have some numbers in a day or two.

Make sure to let us know your budget so we can help spend it ....   ;)

I'm just happy you didn't spend all that money on a wrap before you found the issues.

Back