Pontoon versus Tritoon

Yeah but that 10 year warranty would probably not cover that. We thought of doing a dock storage and leave it in the water but all the trouble we have with our first boat and leaking tubes we decided against it. Then again we had plugs in the tubes and drove that thing for 3 years and just drained the water out when we got off the water. I ended selling it to a guy that said he could fix the tubes and went out and bought a new one. From all the information I gathered trying to find out about the holes in the old tubes I doubt I will ever have my boat in the water at a dock for an extended period of time.  Electrolysis seems to be an all to often problem with most boat docks with electricity. 

Understand about electrolysis not being covered by the warranty. BUT, I hope this forum has opened every ones eyes to a real potential problem. Really sorry that TC paid the price for this lesson on electrolysis. Please also remember that low voltage current can be just as bad as 120 volts.

Understand about electrolysis not being covered by the warranty. BUT, I hope this forum has opened every ones eyes to a real potential problem. Really sorry that TC paid the price for this lesson on electrolysis. Please also remember that low voltage current can be just as bad as 120 volts.

It is a big problem. It is the same as people using treated lumber from the big box stores as floors instead of using CCA. Being new to pontoons when I bought my first one I was amazed at all the issues that can occur and how many people just don't know the issues. The biggest thing is electric and dissimilar metals in water because the aluminum always loses. 

FLASH!

Took the boat to another dealer today.  His service guy took a look at it and said.....

"I'm pretty sure these pontoons can be repaired.  We have a company who does our aluminum welding work and I'd like you to take it over to him while you're here."

I took the boat over to him and he took a good look at it, pounded on the walls of each section of each pontoon and said that the holes are small enough that they can be aluminum welded and sealed.  He's going to pressure test each of the sections, see what other leaks there are and we'll go from there.  As it stands now, he said he doesn't see the cost exceeding $4,000 tops - assuming that there are no surprises under the keel (which he said he didn't expect to see, based on the rest of the pontoons.  The only problem is that he has a 3 week backlog.  In addition, he's going to buff/shine all 3 tubes (I was going to do this after the soda blasting), and do the Sharkhide.  He said that we should not try and remove any material to try and smooth out the pitting.  He said we're better off using any epoxy to smooth that all out and just bottom-coat the boat again.  If we try and buff/smooth them out, we could cause more problems.

So we're back to bottom painting.  I've got to run but will post more when I return.

GREAT NEWS!

FLASH!

Took the boat to another dealer today.  His service guy took a look at it and said.....

"I'm pretty sure these pontoons can be repaired.  We have a company who does our aluminum welding work and I'd like you to take it over to him while you're here."

I took the boat over to him and he took a good look at it, pounded on the walls of each section of each pontoon and said that the holes are small enough that they can be aluminum welded and sealed.  He's going to pressure test each of the sections, see what other leaks there are and we'll go from there.  As it stands now, he said he doesn't see the cost exceeding $4,000 tops - assuming that there are no surprises under the keel (which he said he didn't expect to see, based on the rest of the pontoons.  The only problem is that he has a 3 week backlog.  In addition, he's going to buff/shine all 3 tubes (I was going to do this after the soda blasting), and do the Sharkhide.  He said that we should not try and remove any material to try and smooth out the pitting.  He said we're better off using any epoxy to smooth that all out and just bottom-coat the boat again.  If we try and buff/smooth them out, we could cause more problems.

So we're back to bottom painting.  I've got to run but will post more when I return.

GREAT NEWS!

YAAAAAAAAAAH, PADS will have to wait!

Great news - I hope it goes as planned.

Very happy to hear this update.  Keep us posted.  Hoping the repair goes as anticipated.  

I moved my Pontoon Saga back over to the Ugly Curve thread so as not to hijack this one.

Great news! Kinda thought it could be fixed.....

Be a lot happier spending that 4 then one with a long trail of 0's after it 

Back