Power Assist or No Power Assist

Grogers

Reaction score
Hello All,

Wife and I just ordered our 25ft RSR with ESP and F200 Yamaha.  We have a few days to confirm the final build, and we are debating if we should add the power assist option or not.  We do not plan on towing much at all but rather cruising and taking it up to Lake Michigan.  

I have read a few forums and did not get a sense of if it was worth the extra money or not.  

Appreciate your feedback if it is needed or not.

Yes ,it is recommenced on  everything 150 and above . I can turn mine with one finger 

I test drove boats with and without the power assist, and decided to buy it for my F200.  Although you will mainly be cruising, what is your docking situation like?  My marina is a little tight and I love how easy I can turn the wheel.  You are already buying a great boat, and it is not on the bottom of the price scale.  Why not pay a little more to avoid any possible regret of not having the power assist? (Of course it's always easy for the rest of us to spend your $$).   :D

Last edited by a moderator:
To add to the above, of which I concur, you will regret it if you do not get it. I have driven boats with and without it. There is a big difference. For me, it is worth every penny and I would never consider not getting it.

Cheers, Steve

You should get the power assist steering option.  After renting Bennington pontoon boats with 115 HP outboards w/o power steering a few times, I can't imagine how much more difficult it would be to steer with 200 HP outboards w/o power steering.  The rentals w/o power steering really worked the arm muscles.  Good luck with your new pontoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely 100% yes get power steering. I have a rig with the F200. It had the power assist steering option, but power was not connected at the factory and it didn't get caught in final inspection. Took me a couple of days to get the boat back to the dealer to have it powered up properly. The difference is tremendous. Also, from experience, it's not when you are driving in a straight line and cocktail cruising that it is recommended/required. It's when you are docking or trailering up at the end of the day. It is as close to necessary as anything you could want to buy as an option on your new boat. Just my $.02.

Yes on power assist and more motor if you're going on Lake Michigan.     :D

Definitely power steering and seriously consider at least 250hp on that lake.

The new 200 hp 4 cylinder engine is quite a performer.  I just have SeaStar on my F150.  It's no problem until you make a high speed turn, and then turning the wheel takes some effort.  When docking, hydraulic steering is no problem.  Yes, it'd be nice, but $3K is a lot of money to spend.

But from all the above comments, the consensus is to get the power steering assist.

If you can afford it easily, I would do it. Better to be covered by the 7 year warranty now then adding it later. Also, you may want to go bigger on the motor. I have the 2350 RSR. With the vf225 , it was slower than I thought it would be.

What a bunch of wimps. What's wrong with cable steering???

Ha ha. Cable steering is one finger steering at docking speeds. Maybe two fingers. It's at higher speeds where it's a lot of work. If you are pulling tubes, get the upgrade.

My wife can handle the hydraulic w/o power assist when she is pulling me around the lake.

At some point I will do a DIY upgrade to hydraulic steering.  I've read the instructions on the Seastar kits.  Looks like a fun little project to do.  On an S model that is.  Since it's not completely closed in underneath.

If you are getting a boat/hull that is completely covered up underneath, you'd have to take it all apart to route the hydraulic hoses.  The S is open enough to fish the hoses through where they need to go.

Something to think about for those considering a cable steering system.

Love my power assist. Test drove a boat without was a little hard in the turns. My marina is difcicult to get into so the power assist really helps with docking

Thanks for all your feedback, we went with the Power Assist, but I had to make a concession, so I took out the Diamond Stitching.  I would love a bigger motor, but the budget has already been busted 3 times, the F200 it is.

You will be glad you got it .

You'll love the F200. I think mine is a beast on my S.

My boat is older (2005) and I have hydraulic steering (standard on all I/O's) but no power assist (at least I'm pretty sure I don't have that anyway).  What would that cost to add that on and is it even possible?  I'm sure my boat would be much more difficult to operate if I didn't have hydraulic steering but no way can I turn the sterring wheel with one fingure...not even close.

It's not just the one finger steering, which is great, but I also like how the steering feels so consistent at all speeds.  Plus it makes my wife happy during the very infrequent times I let her drive.   :D

Back