Power Assist or No Power Assist

I didn't have to get power assist as I have a fit corn fed mid-western girl who knows how to use more than her finger!!!!

(I'd love to have power assist for me though!!)

My boat is older (2005) and I have hydraulic steering (standard on all I/O's) but no power assist (at least I'm pretty sure I don't have that anyway).  What would that cost to add that on and is it even possible?  I'm sure my boat would be much more difficult to operate if I didn't have hydraulic steering but no way can I turn the sterring wheel with one fingure...not even close.
Keith, I've never seen a i/o boat without power steering. Are you sure you don't have it? Next time you get a chance, snap a pic of the front of the engine for me.

Well I know it has hydraulic steering but I don't anything about that "power assist" that you guys are talking about. I do have a reservoir on the top right of my helm for the power steering. ..is this the same thing? Regardless. ...I actually expected the steering to be easier than it is.

Maybe you have it and it's just not wired in to your ignition like has happened to many others (myself included). 

Wonder how I check for that....

If you send your hull ID to Bennington .They should be able to tell you if it was factory installed .

I could swing by on lunch and help you take a look.

There used to be a Club Bennington web site where you could enter all the info on your boat and engine (which I did).  Where the heck is that at now??  The link from the main Bennington page to the Club Bennington site is now completely different.  I was gonna log on there to retrieve my HIN and then email it to Bennington to ask them if I have the power assist.  My boat is in inddor heated storage about 6 miles from my house so I guess I'll wait until I pull it out in the spring to get the HIN off of it.

You should have a pump on the engine, like a car.

I do.  And as I stated earlier, I remember there's a reservoir on the top of my helm that I thought was for power steering.  

I didn't get the power assist on this boat. I had it on my last one and now that I know what it's like without, I can tell you I wish I had it again! I will more than likely add it as an aftermarket mod when I get a chance.

There used to be a Club Bennington web site where you could enter all the info on your boat and engine (which I did).  Where the heck is that at now??  The link from the main Bennington page to the Club Bennington site is now completely different.  I was gonna log on there to retrieve my HIN and then email it to Bennington to ask them if I have the power assist.  My boat is in inddor heated storage about 6 miles from my house so I guess I'll wait until I pull it out in the spring to get the HIN off of it
Here is the registration site now 

http://www.clubbennington.com/#!form/c1ec9

I still don't see where to locate the info I once entered in that site.

It all seems to work for me, getting to the forum and registering your Benny

No I can see that as well.....I entered the HIN and all the info on my engine about 2 years ago....they've completely changed that web site and now I don't see anywhere to retrieve that info.

I bit the bullet Saturday and ordered my first boat.  I thought I knew what I wanted now an second guessing.  I went with the F175 because the dealer said I wouldn't need power steering with that motor.  I am getting the 2375 RCW.  Most opins here seem to think I'll want the power steering even with the 175.  Might as well go to 200 then.  There's another $4400.  

I have been reading this forum for a couple weeks and you have all been incredibly helpful.  thanks so much!

Congratulations

.Go with the deuce  :D

It will cost a LOT more later . I know .

Last edited by a moderator:
I bit the bullet Saturday and ordered my first boat.  I thought I knew what I wanted now an second guessing.  I went with the F175 because the dealer said I wouldn't need power steering with that motor.  I am getting the 2375 RCW.  Most opins here seem to think I'll want the power steering even with the 175.  Might as well go to 200 then.  There's another $4400.  

I have been reading this forum for a couple weeks and you have all been incredibly helpful.  thanks so much!
Assuming it's ESP hull, they strongly recommend power steering with engines 150hp+. The new F200 is a great motor. Several here have it and love it.

Get the 200!!!

Back