Pre Lake List; Whats on yur to - do list?

Toon'r

Reaction score
I had a few minutes so I thought I would wipe my pontoons off  B)

med_gallery_5404_460_1815261.jpg

Wow what a difference,how long do you think to do the complete polish and what are you using.......

Lookin good Toon'r

Good shot of the buffer in the reflection.

My list is prepping the dock for delivery of the new Benny.

Staining maybe a commercial indoor outdoor carpet for the feet some new dock bumpers,

new cleats, corner bumpers, dock cushions for the edge and a new ladder for the dock as well.

Lets hope Mother Nature allows some good weather to prep before the Benny arrives in May

Man I want those shiny toons on my pontoon.

Looks like I will be investing in a buffer.

27949384.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
med_gallery_5404_460_2371037.jpg

Wow what a difference,how long do you think to do the complete polish and what are you using.......
I always buffed out my glass boat but this is the first time polishing pontoons. I went to u-tube(how to polish aluminum by tonymetalart) and checked out a couple of video's. I ordered Zypher buffing wheels and rouges. Notice that is plural!

I started with the blue wheel, yellow wheel, white wheel and finished up with a seperate white wheel for the red rouge. Rouge's- Started with brown,green, white and finished up with red. Polished it with the Pro 40 polish. As you can see there are several steps involved and it makes a hell of a mess. A resperator is a must !!! If you don't cover up, you will turn darker!!! Probably have about 4 hrs in this toon and still have the back 1/3 and end cap to go. I'm getting faster though as i've got the motion figured out. I ordered the supplies from 4-states trucks out of Joplin Mo. They had everything I needed including the adapter plates and the rake. Spent about $160 for all the stuff. Already had variable speed buffer I picked up at Harbor Freight a few years back. It worked but I'm looking to upgrade to a better one. Good Luck and a little tip.... you gotta WANT to do it..... :rolleyes:

Looks great!!!!!!!!!!! My hats off to you!

Figuring out how to get the family of skunks out from under my shed at the lake that I keep my golf cart and water towable toys in.

I must admit that the shiny toons do look great but for me I can't justify the effort.  However they do look so good that you have me considering so I must ask a question.  Once polished how long before you have to do the entire buff out again?  Does your boat stay in the water or lifted out? 

I must admit that the shiny toons do look great but for me I can't justify the effort.  However they do look so good that you have me considering so I must ask a question.  Once polished how long before you have to do the entire buff out again?  Does your boat stay in the water or lifted out? 
Boat stays out of the water. Longest time in is a week while on Vaca.  From what others on here have said, I'm expecting to do a light buff maybe once or twice a yr. since this is my first go-round, I'm not sure. I plan on spraying it with the Pro 50 Eliminator and wiping them down coming off the water. Just gonna try a few different things to see what works best.

To me it's kinda like owning a really nice hobby car. I know from the "Toys & Hobby" forum that  there are lots of you guys out there that have some toys that spend as much time detailing as you do driving them. Just ask BigBlock and Bulldogs Cadillac- Derrick.

Toon'r

Yes I love keeping the equipment mint, BUT not during the boating season. I do all this stuff, polish, sharkhide, etc. now so that during the season I can just enjoy the use of the boat. I polished and sharkhided my last Q25 and I had virtually no maintenance on it for two years (traded it off and it still looked great). Had a special dust cover made for the new one just so I could spend less time cleaning and more play time.

Toon'r and BigBlock -

Okay, I'm about to ask a really stupid question, but I can't seem to find it online and I've never used a sander/polisher before.  So I have the sander/polisher, and it came with a threaded backing plate thing and a bonnet and that's all that came with it.  Neither of them will help me polish the toons. Might as well throw them both away.

So, what I'm left with is a 7 inch polisher with a threaded shaft.  No flanges.  Not even a locknut for the shaft.  In order to mount those airway wheels, I assume I drag the polisher to the hardware store, and get two of the bigest washers I can find and a locknut that will screw onto the shaft of the polisher.  Is that all I need to mount the airway wheels?  The airway wheels already appear to have metal hubs on them (from pics, I haven't bought them yet).  So, just wondering how all this fits together.  Do I really need the flanges?  Saw on some websites that a 3-inch washer will work with the airway wheels...

Thanks for any info.  I'm pretty excited for the weather to warm up so I can polish the toons again (by machine this time).  Bought the sharkhide already.

Also, should I use an 8 inch wheel or a 10 inch wheel???  The buffer/polisher is a 7 inch...  Not sure what that means regarding what size wheels to use...

Do I need a shaft extender kit to keep the wheel far enough away from the buffer???

Use the proper flanges! I would recommend 8" wheels

Dang Toon'r,

The glare off the toons in the sun will blind anyone close to you!!!! I'll sure see you pulling into the cove at point 16 this summer, well at least see the bright glare coming in!!

Marc

Toon'r and BigBlock -

Okay, I'm about to ask a really stupid question, but I can't seem to find it online and I've never used a sander/polisher before.  So I have the sander/polisher, and it came with a threaded backing plate thing and a bonnet and that's all that came with it.  Neither of them will help me polish the toons. Might as well throw them both away.

So, what I'm left with is a 7 inch polisher with a threaded shaft.  No flanges.  Not even a locknut for the shaft.  In order to mount those airway wheels, I assume I drag the polisher to the hardware store, and get two of the bigest washers I can find and a locknut that will screw onto the shaft of the polisher.  Is that all I need to mount the airway wheels?  The airway wheels already appear to have metal hubs on them (from pics, I haven't bought them yet).  So, just wondering how all this fits together.  Do I really need the flanges?  Saw on some websites that a 3-inch washer will work with the airway wheels...

Thanks for any info.  I'm pretty excited for the weather to warm up so I can polish the toons again (by machine this time).  Bought the sharkhide already.
First thing is to make sure your buffer will turn up there in the 3000rpm range but not over 3500. Agin, I have a $39 dollar Harbor freight variable speed buffer and its done the job so far. You will want to get the flanges for the wheels. They come with the nut and lock washer to bolt it all together. They are $15 and worth it. You should'nt need the shaft extender and put the beveled part of the flange to the wheel.  You need the rake as well. You will want to run your wheel on the rake prior to polishing to open them up and then occcasionally as the wheel cakes up. Use a seperate wheel for each level of rouge.

The Blue wheel and brown rouge (Tripole-(sp) ) is first. Yellow wheel and Green bar. White wheel and white bar.  Another white wheel and red bar. This will get it pretty shiny. I used the Pro 50 Eliminator (spray bottle) to wipe down and then applied the Pro 40 Polish.   You will also want to go to your local hardware store,  Lowe's, Home Depot etc.. and pick up some masks and a set of painter coveralls with the hood. Trust me on this... you need em. Buy a bag of rags as well. I got a 8# bag for $20 and will worth it. Best to do it outside if you can and cover the boat with a tarp. Go to U tube and watch a video so you kinda get an ideal of what your doing. Have Fun  Like I tell my son...If it was easy...everybody would do it.. B)

If you're wanting to pickup buffer pads, etc., most local auto paint suppliers carry them for the professional detailers and auto painters.  A buffing pad is not just a buffing pad, as the colors are for different uses.

You can find good information on boat and metal detailing online if you use Google.

I just use a Porter Cable dual action sander polisher the first of the year with White Diamond metal polish (Advance Auto Parts sells it).  It's not a complete mirror finish, but it looks great for a 1-2 hour labor job.  And the more you polish, the faster you get at doing it.

Back