Prop Help

Hey Andy, do you have another pic of the deflector just to the right of your center tube under the deck?  I've thought of having something like that welded on my Express, and seeing how this is done would give me a good hint at how to do it....

I tried to PM you but it said you cannot receive messages. That is the best picture I currently have. PM me your e-mail and I will take some better photos soon and send them your way.

My vessel is in the shop now and they are changing me to a 15" pitch Reliance prop and moving my motor to the #1 slot.  I hope that takes care of everything.  I also verified that I have the SPS hub.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice! 

Looking forward to getting a performance update!

Definitely.  My wife just made dinner plans with my parents.  :(   I was planning on going straight to the lake once I pick it up.  Now I'll need to wait...but then again, I'm very fortunate to still have both my parents alive to take to dinner.  :D

Last edited by a moderator:
When I say all the way down I am in the top hole.

SAM_3583_zps015d1ac5.jpg

Right, I meant to say move it to the #1 position.   (Maybe that isn't what I meant at the time, but that's where it's going!)  Thank you for bringing that to my attention!

I tried to PM you but it said you cannot receive messages. That is the best picture I currently have. PM me your e-mail and I will take some better photos soon and send them your way.

Try to PM me now.  I had to delete some.

I took the boat out tonight.  Upstream with the Bimini up, in the wind, with a current, 6200 RPM and 43 MPH.  I've asked my dealer for the 17" back to do one more test.  Putting the motor in the #1 slot made all the difference in the world.  I 100% feel for those with a 150, the 15" prop in slot #1 is the way to go.  The verdict is out on a 17" for a 200 on a 24 tritoon with SPS or better.  I had a little bit of prop spin but that was due to trim.  This is the first time I've had the boat that I could actually trim the boat up and down.  Before with the 17" in slot #2, I had to keep it down and even then I had some prop spin, cavitation, and I felt like the engine was working too hard.  The best I could get was around 5400 rpm.  I'll let y'all know how slot #1 with a 17" Reliance works tomorrow evening.  

Thank you to everyone with your awesome advice. Today my boat ran and steered like my old Sea Ray fiberglass boat.  ...and it was fairly fast too!

You might want to keep that prop on there for when you have more guests on board.

I took the boat out tonight.  Upstream with the Bimini up, in the wind, with a current, 6200 RPM and 43 MPH.  I've asked my dealer for the 17" back to do one more test.  Putting the motor in the #1 slot made all the difference in the world.  I 100% feel for those with a 150, the 15" prop in slot #1 is the way to go.  The verdict is out on a 17" for a 200 on a 24 tritoon with SPS or better.  I had a little bit of prop spin but that was due to trim.  This is the first time I've had the boat that I could actually trim the boat up and down.  Before with the 17" in slot #2, I had to keep it down and even then I had some prop spin, cavitation, and I felt like the engine was working too hard.  The best I could get was around 5400 rpm.  I'll let y'all know how slot #1 with at 17" Reliance works tomorrow evening.  Thank you to everyone with your awesome advice. Today my boat ran and steered like my old Sea Ray fiberglass boat.  ...and it was fairly fast too!

Ray, thanks for that update.  I'm taking mine in this morning to have them move the motor.  I'm going to have them put it in hole #1 as well.  Will get it out on the water tomorrow afternoon and report back as well.

Well, my results were a bust! Moved from hole #2 to hole #1 and saw a drop of about 200 RPM.  Took the boat back to the dealer and asked them to move to hole #3, clean bottom, and run diagnostics on the engine.  Very bummed right now.  Something ain't right...

I guess my RPM's went up because I moved from a 17 to 15 pitch prop.  I went by the dealer today and borrowed the 17.  I'm going after work to see how the boat performs with the 17 with the motor in the first hole.  I'll post my results later.

tcpip95 - what size prop do you have?  Maybe the #1 slot is right, but your prop needs to drop down a size?  I personally would try a smaller prop before moving the engine again.

I have the  Reliance 14.5 x 15P.  It cost me $50 to move the motor to another hole; much cheaper than a new prop - which may or may not work.

I have the  Reliance 14.5 x 15P.  It cost me $50 to move the motor to another hole; much cheaper than a new prop - which may or may not work.

tcpip95 - My dealer allowed me to test a couple of props without having to purchase them.  I would check with your dealer.  They might allow you to do the same.

I almost had a huge disaster on the water today.  I decided to keep the 15 pitch prop on, drive to a local sandbar and change over to the 17 there.  While changing the prop a big wave hit at exactly the moment I was removing the washer and prop...well the wash fell down into the prop housing.  It took me about 30 minutes and lots of luck to get it out.  I was almost stuck on the sandbar on a very quiet Thursday afternoon!  Thank God everything worked out ok.

Today was a very poor day for testing.  We had high winds and white caps on the lake.  If I have time and tomorrow is calmer, I may try the 17 one more time before removing.  At this point, I'm 90% confident I'm going to keep the 15, but I would rather be 100% certain it's the right move before finalizing my prop selection.  So far, the 15 is not quite as fast but the boat rides much smoother.  

Thanks again for all the help and advice from everyone!  It's great to be part of a forum of helpful, knowledgeable, and courteous members!

Glad that worked out for you. As I said, that set-up certainly works on our SPS 150, and gives us a lot of trim adjustability. All is well that ends well.

Back