Pulling Pontoon on Shore

SharkBate

Reaction score
hi, 2 questions about pontoons:
This is 1st winter for my pontoon and am trying to decide on winter storage options.
I was thinking of pulling the boat onto shore for the winter. It is a sandy shore with about a 10% grade. Many of my neighbors use PVC pipes under the pontoons and a winch to pull it up. I was wondering if this is a good idea, and how much winch will I need for a boat that ways about 2k lb's.
2nd separate question is weather a 10'x4' aluminum dock can be used for mooring. I'm worried that the boat might pull the dock off along with it in high winds. The lake is mostly calm with no more that 6" of swells, except for boat wakes.
Thx.

Do you have a friend with a 4x4 and winch? Problem solved if you go with option one.

I would imagine that the boat is well anchored and when the water rises in the spring it floats

Welcome to the forum Sharkbate.........

Assuming you have an outboard.........If you pull your boat on that sandy beach will the motor be able to be kept/stored in an upright position so it can properly drain the water so freezing wouldn't occur.

Is the aluminum dock permanently fixed or floating?!?

Thanks for replys.
* To put it back in water, just un-chock pipes and it will roll back by itself (I hope).
* Boat has electric motor, so no worries about tilting or drainage.
* Dock is fixed with auger legs. It has to come out for winter too.
Thx.

Sounds like reasonable ideas to me! I can’t answer about the dock but pulling in up on shore and rolling it back in should work fine, just make sure you buy heavy enough PVC otherwise it’ll crush under the load.

Thanks for replys.
* To put it back in water, just un-chock pipes and it will roll back by itself (I hope).
* Boat has electric motor, so no worries about tilting or drainage.
* Dock is fixed with auger legs. It has to come out for winter too.
Thx.

I think you would have to have multiple loose pipes to place behind it as it's rolling back. Once you hit the fulcrum point, the rear of toon would drop so you have to keep placing pipes behind it as it rolls..... make sense??

Back