Question on buying a new 2014 Bennington

Mjlawson

Reaction score
Our dealer has several new 2014's in stock that we are interested in and wondering if we may get a better deal on one since they are now trying to sell the 2015's. We are looking at a 20 SSX w. Yamaha T50, their price w o trailer is $21900, NADA say suggested Retail is 23,900. Do dealers usually discount fairly heavy to move the old models out and if so do you think if I offer around the $18-19k range I would be in the ball park? We are looking at a 2015 as well but the '14 model has a few more options that we like compared to the '15 and the option on the 14 is not available on the '15- we would have to go to a 22' to get it which increases the cost.

Thanks for your responses.

Make an offer and see what happens. Worst they can do is say no.

In my experience they do want to get rid of last year's models.

Brian

Reactions: ssc
My dealer gave us a 7k discount on a ordered 2015 22 slx with a 115hp, off of list. There are some changes on the 15. The front gate is smaller so that the loungers can wrap arond further. Carpet style has changed also. Work some numbers with your dealer!

Ask your dealer to price ordering a boat with the options that you really want! And remember its cheaper to add more horspower now than later.

If their "lot price" is $21,900, meaning you haven't started to negotiate, then I'd offer 20% off that as a starting point.  You may not get that, but that's where I'd start.  Let them know you're serious, but that you are also shopping around.  Don't let them know you are locked in on this one, or this particular dealer, or your price will not come down...

Like Crowbar said, price a new one too, but don't let that scare you into a higher price on the 2014.  They should be looking to move those out...

Plan to "walk away" for a few days after getting their best price.  Then look around.  Get online.  Make some calls.  Then call them back and "see what they can do". 

I did all this, was told I would NEVER find a lower price, so I took that as a challenge.  I actually found a better price (not by much) at another dealer, and that ended up being the boat I bought.  The guy that told me I'd never find a better price lost out. 

You are in the driver's seat.  Use the "that's not going to be acceptable" line.

Another thing I learned buying my boat is to USE EMAIL as much as you can.  It slows things down, which is a HUGE benefit to you. The dealer is a salesman everyday of his life.  That's what he does.  He knows the tricks.  He knows how to apply pressure.  How often do you buy a boat???

Email slows everything down so you have time to THINK before you reply.  In the showroom, the dealer has me beat by a long shot just by his sheer experience.  Using email gave me time to think and compose my response and come up with a strategy.  The buyer is at a disadvantage negotiating live.  Some can do well live, but I bet even those guys would do even better if they could slow things down.

Good luck.  Let us know what you do!

20% off the msrp should be reasonable for 2014 model. Ordering a new boat will definitely has less discount. I believe the higher end you go, the better discount you will get.

Also, you can have dealer throw in some options , like a second battery, to sweeten the deal for you if they won't budge on the price.

Year old ,start @ 30 -35% off list . 2k off on a 2014, way out of line

The dealer needs to give you a much bigger discount on a left over 2014.  I know all dealers are different and some are able to give bigger discounts if they are considered high volume dealers but this dealer is basically discounting the boat about 10% on a left over year old model.  We bought our 2015 22 SLX at the end of the 2014 season and got a very large discount from the dealer (MSRP on boat was $27,870 and we got it for $18,792 before taxes).  The boat is pretty basic on the options but it has everything we wanted or needed and we were able to order exactly what we wanted.  The dealer we bought from is considered a high volume dealer and that is why he was able to give such a large discount.  Note: our boat purchase did not include a trailer.

Go back to the dealer and make an offer for a discount of at least 30% or more. 

Lastly, the suggestion from Kaydano is excellent -- use email in your negotiations.  That is what we did and that is what I have done when buying cars and it has always worked out very well.  These guys do this for a living and do it everyday.  Doing your negotiating in person will certainly put you at a disadvantage.  Good Luck.

Thanks for all the insight so far, I will start w emails w the salesman we met at the boat show and see where it goes. They are a pretty high volume dealer here in MN and one of the floor plans we like is not in the brochure, they only make that floor plan for this dealer due to their volume. Looking forward to joining the Bennington family - seems like the quality and the options for the price is the best around.

We bought a 2014 GSR in late July 2014 and were able to get 33% off the retail price as they were just starting to receive new 2015's and the boating season was winding down in our area.  They also winterized and stored the boat for free for us this winter.   I would think you would be able to get at least 30% off now. I agree with the emails approach.  Always the best way to negotiate.

Thanks for all the insight so far, I will start w emails w the salesman we met at the boat show and see where it goes. They are a pretty high volume dealer here in MN and one of the floor plans we like is not in the brochure, they only make that floor plan for this dealer due to their volume. Looking forward to joining the Bennington family - seems like the quality and the options for the price is the best around.
Have you been on the "Build Site" ?

http://www.benningtonmarine.com/Pontoon-Boat-Search.php?model_line=15&action=list

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno...in my opinion, anything honest and honorable is done face to face. I wouldn't negotiate with anyone that wanted to negotiate via email. I'd dismiss the prospect as insincere (at best), or untrustworthy (at worst). It's just my opinion, but the entire nature of negotiation is face to face. Again...it's just my opinion. I look to someone who cannot make a deal in person as someone who cannot make a deal, period. Maybe this is the best strategy for people who can't negotiate, but...wow. Seems like...I dunno...just not confident or capable. Probably just me though.

Hmmmm.... Sounds like something a boat dealer would say.

or...not.

Only 2K off list on a year old boat is no deal .

My opinion is a new dealer .

How much is he offering off on a 2015 order ?

Used car salesman?

Nope. Really? I question the honor of not dealing face to face, with sincere capability to consummate a deal in person...and your only reply is that I'm a used car salesman? Not that there's anything wrong with being a used-car salesman. But...that's the only explanation for someone who believes in an old fashioned face-to-face deal?

I negotiated and bought mine over the phone..... Some people are not comfortable with face to face, some are. Play to your strengths and don't be pushed into something you are not comfortable with. If you think you got a deal that is all that matters. None of here are going to be making the payments. Unless your on food stamps then we kind of are!!!! Just kidding!

Back