Question on buying a new 2014 Bennington

No, it's an explanation for a post that doesn't really provide much help to the original poster while inferring people that use email to negotiate are dishonest and dishonorable for doing so.

Bite me hard enough and I'll bite back.

I did both. Did the glad handing talky talky in person. When it came to numbers and documenting the purchase I did it by email. Then when I was at a point where I felt comfertable sitting across the table, I gave them my final number and there was documentation of what I was buying.

I work in Purchasing. Buying anything takes time, and you're best bet is to document "the deal" in writing. Always remember, unless you're talking the the owner, you're not at the top.

When I buy cars my first step is to contact the GM. Getting a note from your boss asking you to "work with someone" usually gets you a little more of a deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it's an explanation for a post that doesn't really provide much help to the original poster while inferring people that use email to negotiate are dishonest and dishonorable for doing so.

Bite me hard enough and I'll bite back.
False in a couple of areas. The absolute best way to get the absolute best deal is to walk in with the capability to pay....cash or pre-approved credit, sit across the desk from him/her who you are negotiating with...and make a deal. Then...before you sign off on the deal...have the guts to shake his/her hand, look him/her in the eye and say "you've got a deal". That's the most honorable way to make a deal. I'll call out the distance-deal-makers for what they are any day of the week. It is what it is. Take offense if you want to. But one is better than the other. It is better to have the ability to make a deal in person. And the deal is better. 100% of the time. 

And "bite me hard enough"? I never bit. Until now. 

It all started out as just one-guy's-opinion. But read anything on making a deal, and the best deals are made face to face. Email is for those that can't. Not for those that can...but feel that email is better. There are no people who "can" who feel that email would be better.

My two cents;  I have been a salesman my whole life and started my own company over 20 years ago doing well enough that I sold it as I turned 60 planning on never working again. I can think extremely quick on my feet but I have to admit that there is a lot of merit as to what kaydano says to negotiate by email. I would think that for me I would like to see the boat and start in person, followup with negotiating via email and then when the deal is close going in with the ability to pay on the spot as jeffs says

Another nice aspect of email is you have documentation of the quote/price of the rig and you can see everything in writing.

If it was me I would also price out what you would want on a 2015. If you can get everything you want for a couple grand more it may be worth it to you. Another thing I do whether it is cars, boats is hand the dealer what I want and tell them I am checking with other dealers as well so give me your best price/value up front. In my experience if they know you are shopping they will get closer to their real number without wasting your time getting there. It has worked for me on my last two boats. Plus it will probably get you closer to market value.

Being a former property claims adjuster I have no problem with face to face confrontation/negotiation (Imagine telling someone while standing in their home they are not covered for the 4ft of water in their basement. I have even had people pull out their gun....) I see what Jeff is saying as well as Dan.I think it all comes down to the salesman, the buyer and the budget. Somewhere these three circles will intersect and that is the sweet spot.

And one last thing, really take the time to plan what you will be using the boat for. It is a big investment and you don't want to only have it for three months and be disapointed and out buying another.....ask me how I know.

So Mjlawson, good luck and keep us updated!!

I bought my 2014 gcw in 10/14. I did the negotiations via email and got 24% of MSRP. I did compare with two nearby dealerS. Considering the after sale service, I decided to go with the closest dealer. Price wise, it is acceptable for me.

At the end of the day, I felt I did good. It is all it matters.

What is tough is anticipating the "service" ability of the dealer. Our original dealer was really small and we didn't need to test their service dept. Our second dealer was quite a bit larger with a very large service center but they could not line up a hinge come to find out. The service dept looked great though when we originally toured their facility! That is why for me price/value was a big deal. You can't always bet on service being spectacular.

On my 2013 order ,I actually went with the higher price .Distance to each dealer  was the same .

The lower cost dealer was in a Pole Barn ,and my first thought was about  service .My dealer is family owned and operated since 1969.

Ordering the 2014 was an easy choice ,especially since I received a larger discount for being a repeat customer .

I wonder what he would do on a 3rd ? :rolleyes:

There is only one way to find out Jack....

Good discussion.

Two things to remember.

1. Be nice to each other.

2. Be respectful of Bennington's dealers. This site is for Bennington owners to share. Thus far, we've been respectful. Let's keep it that way!

On behalf of the moderator team, thanks in advance.

There is only one way to find out Jack....
I will probably  see him later this week 

Last year I got him started into tapping his trees and making syrup .

I am going to pick him up some more supplies today if they are out yet .

Still WAY too cold for the sap to run 

I'd like to think of us all as brothers. Bound to ruffle feathers every once in a while but still respecting one another in the process! My dad always said, if one person thinks you're an a-hole, you might not be. But if 20 people think you're an a hole....you're an a hole.

While I may not agree with 100% of the posts I read, I typically learn something from each of them, even if that lesson is the art of self control or biting my tongue!!

I'll just say it, I love this forum and all the members that help make it unique!

Jared, that's 20 for most people.

It's 40 for you.

:)

Wow, hopefully I didn't start a s*** storm with this topic. I also have found the same model w another dealer and will be reaching out to them as well to see what there price is. They are quite a bit farther away so most conversation/dealings will be done by email. They also have the same model new in a 2013 so may see if they will deal a little more on that one as well. It will be mainly used for cruising on our lake and a little bit of fishing. I have another fishing boat that I use to go to different lakes with and a jet ski for the tubers so really don't need that large of a engine, 50-75.

I am in sales so I do negotiations in person, on the phone and via email. I don't feel someone is less trust worthy if the deal is done by email. We have already met the sales rep in person at the boat show so I don't think email would be a big deal. My wife works at a bank so we already have the loan set up so we will have cash in hand to make the deal so I feel that should help as well and not waste his time with paperwork, preapproval, etc.

Thanks for all of the insight so far and I will keep you up to date. May be a few weeks as my home will be a Hilton hotel the next 9 out of 11 days due to work so another reason for email contact and not one on one.

Good Luck mjlawson, keep us posted as to what you end up with.  And just a word of caution; there have been several posts on here concerning buying from a dealer that is further away to save money and many have ended with regret

You should be able to get great price on a 2013 Model.  That boat is costing the dealer money every month. 

Our dealer has several new 2014's in stock that we are interested in and wondering if we may get a better deal on one since they are now trying to sell the 2015's. We are looking at a 20 SSX w. Yamaha T50, their price w o trailer is $21900, NADA say suggested Retail is 23,900. Do dealers usually discount fairly heavy to move the old models out and if so do you think if I offer around the $18-19k range I would be in the ball park? We are looking at a 2015 as well but the '14 model has a few more options that we like compared to the '15 and the option on the 14 is not available on the '15- we would have to go to a 22' to get it which increases the cost.

Thanks for your responses.
Where are you located ?

I was just at my dealer he has 1 left over 2014 G series on his showroom floor .

Well I live 6.5 hours from my dealer, so no face to face, heck, I didn't even see my first boat in person till I had paid for it and was there to pick it up! I will agree with parts of each statement. Does it seem like someone isn't 100% serious/interested if initial contact is by email? Yes. I would shoot for a phone call at the very least to get the ball rolling. Now if you already talked to someone at the boat show, then by all means, email away!! I ordered one add on thing on my second boat (sub and amp) and wouldn't you know it, it was the one thing that didn't get added to my order. Keep in mind, dealers ALSO use our emails as a way to go back and double check what different options were added/removed. Although since I didn't have that sub and amp, I had to order another boat! hehe 

Back