QX line

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might want to keep Bennington in the loop on this .

You might want to keep Bennington in the loop on this .
I think that's a great idea Jack. I also have an issue with a previous Bennington dealer. I should probably let them know what happened with my previous boat. So it's been difficult for me to use another dealer since they are further away. That is the reason I bought this boat in S.C.

So spoke with GM at Bennington and he said those were the correct batteries but he would call Bennington to double check. I called Mercury and gave them the serial number and he said those were the incorrect batteries installed. I called GM and left a message and said they were incorrect and I would settle up with him later. GM called back and said do not put the 3100 series in there because it won't fit. I sent him pictures of my battery and how it was wired. He said he was waiting for a call back from Bennington. I just called Bennington and am waiting for Darik to call me back. I asked who he was waiting for to call him back and .....long pause....and said Alysia. (personally I don't think he had even called them yet). jmo.

So just a waiting game. Also I took the cowling off and I could see a stain of liquid and where it must be coming from. I don't know what hose it is for but maybe you guys know. I will send it in a sec

ok GM called back and said the "3100 series will not fit into the boat". WTF? I am furious to say the least. Why won't it fit? Said I need a Bennington dealer to file a claim and figure this out. Can someone chime in on this? I asked him why couldn't he take care of this and said he is 500 miles away and wasn't doing it. I get that part but I am furious to say the least.

Who has a QX and what batteries are you using? I wanted dual batteries for that just in case moment.

Find your nearest Bennington Dealer , and let them handle it .

Oh Viking...the cost of the replacement battery was $340.00. It was an interstate battery like was on previously.
$340 for an Interstate marine battery? Excellent batteries but definitely get your money back! I spent less than that on the 2 Interstates I replaced at the beginning of last season ....

ok GM called back and said the "3100 series will not fit into the boat". WTF? I am furious to say the least. Why won't it fit? Said I need a Bennington dealer to file a claim and figure this out. Can someone chime in on this? I asked him why couldn't he take care of this and said he is 500 miles away and wasn't doing it. I get that part but I am furious to say the least.

Who has a QX and what batteries are you using? I wanted dual batteries for that just in case moment.
Julianna, sorry to hear of what you’re going through. Your frustration must rightly be off the charts!

Not that it matters, but I think the battery requirements are more dependent on the engine than the Bennington model and I find it hard to believe the correct batteries won’t fit on your boat. Hopefully I don’t end up eating my words!

Julianna, sorry to hear of what you’re going through. Your frustration must rightly be off the charts!

Not that it matters, but I think the battery requirements are more dependent on the engine than the Bennington model and I find it hard to believe the correct batteries won’t fit on your boat. Hopefully I don’t end up eating my words!
Exactly.

Find your nearest Bennington Dealer , and let them handle it .
Called the Bennington dealer and they won't touch my Mercury. He said if he wired it wrong, and caught on fire, it would be his fault. He only deals wih Yamaha's. (Deep breath)

I called my Mercury guy and he is going to try and do it. Said he would call me by noon tomorrow. I don't understand why the batteries will not fit. There is a 1" difference in height and 2.5" difference in length. I measured and there is plenty of room. You might have to move the hydaulic pumps for the poles, but that shouldn't be difficult. There is plenty of room underneath the swingback. I am not understanding something. Hopefully Ken, my Mercury guy, can make this work. (Sorry about the rant guys, but this put me over the edge. I spent a fortune on this boat and they can't reimburse me for their mistake)?

The dealer in essence selects and mounts the battery’s. Sort of like propping the boat.

I have a swingback myself. With the swingback, they literally have the entirety of that rear area. If there is no room, it’s because of where they put the original battery’s, but that doesn’t change that they can relocate new batteries ANYWHERE in that rear area. This literally makes ZERO sense. My dual batteries are mounted dead center of my rear swingback seat. Awkward spot, but that’s a HUGE area back there. Frankly, I think that is just an excuse for them to try to blow you off.

As for the other dealership, I kind of get where they are coming from with liability and the fact they don’t sell or service Mercury motors at their location.

This is why I always recommend to buy local from the dealership that will service the boat and motor. Otherwise, nightmares like this can happen far too easily. I know you’ve commented on your rationale for buying as you did. I’m just putting this as a reminder and cautionary tail for others in here that sometime’s talk about chasing a long distance “deal” and not thinking of the limitations they may inherit for future work/service on their boat.

The dealer in essence selects and mounts the battery’s. Sort of like propping the boat.

I have a swingback myself. With the swingback, they literally have the entirety of that rear area. If there is no room, it’s because of where they put the original battery’s, but that doesn’t change that they can relocate new batteries ANYWHERE in that rear area. This literally makes ZERO sense. My dual batteries are mounted dead center of my rear swingback seat. Awkward spot, but that’s a HUGE area back there. Frankly, I think that is just an excuse for them to try to blow you off.

As for the other dealership, I kind of get where they are coming from with liability and the fact they don’t sell or service Mercury motors at their location.

This is why I always recommend to buy local from the dealership that will service the boat and motor. Otherwise, nightmares like this can happen far too easily. I know you’ve commented on your rationale for buying as you did. I’m just putting this as a reminder and cautionary tail for others in here that sometime’s talk about chasing a long distance “deal” and not thinking of the limitations they may inherit for future work/service on their boat.
I couldn't agree with you more Viking! Yes you should buy from a local dealer, if you can, and develop a relationship with them. That will totally make your life easier. Unfortunely, the only local dealer is the one that I won't take it to...Bennington that is. I will work with this Mercury dealer and I am sure he will take care of the issue. If I remember correctly, with my last Benny, I only took it in for maintenance issues with my engine and a couple other small items. So I will continue to go with him and if I have a Benny related problem, I will have it trailered out. The dealer that I purchased the boat from put me in a tizzy yesterday!

So...two weeks later my Mercury guy, Ken, never called back by "Friday afternoon". Guess he doesn't want to deal with me either. I'm beginning to feel like he doesn't want to deal with women? Yes I threw the female card out there.

Anyway, took the boat out yesterday for a nice afternoon on the water. Checked all the fluids and P/S was a little low under minimum line. Topped it off to the top line and oil was ok. Put the boat on 1+2 and cranked right up. Turned on all the accessories after that and Voltage on Simrad said 14.3 with minor variation while driving. I do not use digital assist while driving out because it's extremely shallow, 1-3' and no wake zone, and if I turned it on my trim would go completely verticle and I would hit bottom. I guess the digital assist is based on speed? Is that correct? Because getting out of the canals, I only go 6-7 mph. So being shallow I have to trim up about 50-75%.

Got to a place in the ocean and stopped so we could all just hang out. I did turn off all accessories when we stopped. I didn't want any battery issues. When I shut it off, I could see fluid around the engine in the water. Checked P/S and it was a little down, in between top and bottom line. Got home and same thing. The P/S was down to bottom line so that is what is leaking. Where I have no clue. It's not leaking under the helm so it must be leaking in the engine somewhere and I know absolutely nothing about that.

So I spoke to the salesman who sold me the boat. Once again, he told me NOT to put in 3100's because there is not enough room and because of the power poles. He said the wiring to the batteries will not be correct if I install 3100's. I told him Mercury said I must run 3100's AGM batteries for the 450R otherwise I will have electrical problems. He said that was the best we could do since I wanted to add power poles to the boat. Asked him why he didn't tell me ahead of delivery, he said he didn't think there would be any issues. Why would the power poles be an issue? I don't understand. Unfortunately, he was very short with me and hung up.

I did put in a call to Bennington Corp and left a message. He didn't call me back either. I will try again tomorrow. I seriously don't understand why these people are blowing me off.

I spoke to another certified Mercury guy and he said he could install the batteries with no problems. He didn't understand why the power poles would be an issue. He said he would have to look at how they wired it. But told me it shouldn't be an issue. So I will call him Monday also and make an appointment. I shouldn't be having these problems with a brand new boat.

Another question, why wouldn't my Simrad alert to me that the P/S was low or that there was an issue?

I did put in a call to Bennington Corp and left a message. He didn't call me back either. I will try again tomorrow. I seriously don't understand why these people are blowing me off.
Juliana
I feel your frustration on this with Bennington. Jack M has frequently said to some of my inquiries and many others "call Bennington" and he provides the number. He has also given great advise from his personal experience. From my experience I took that advice. In 20+ calls the phone has never been answered and I have never gotten a call back. So do not take it personal they did not call you. Jack M it is interesting to say call them, and it is not personal I mentioned you just reflecting on to this approach and maybe they answer for you, but if they do not answer we turn to other owners on the forum to get information. Having said this, and I think it is a terrible customer service model they are now following. However I did have a Regional rep reach out via email eventually, Elijah, and he has been very very responsive to my questions and has provided great information. But no way to talk to him is provided. Juliana I can see if he covers FLA, I am in NC, and let me know an email and I will include you in a request.

That's interesting, that is the same number I use . It may take a couple of days but they do call back.

Jack I called 20+ times over a 10 day period. That was 2 months ago...crickets. Maybe they know who you are.

I don't believe they do . Different contacts for forum activity.

Well, with you isolating it to P/S, that should be a warranty covered issue. Just a matter of networking through a Bennington dealership to get it taken care of. I know that’s a challenge for you with past issues with one dealership, and distance and other issues with who you bought it from now.

But, for it to be taken care of through warranty, it will need to get taken in to a boat dealership that is an authorized Bennington service center to get officially and specifically diagnosed and approved for a warranty repair, and then it will need to get done the work done too.

This should have went much more smoothly for you through the dealership(s) you’ve tried working with on these issues. Shows how much a good dealer matters, and how inconsistent sometimes they can be. Perhaps one of the most important variables in boat ownership: fair, trustworthy and a competent dealership service center. I feel for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back