QX line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well she arrived on Monday morning and we have been out for the last two days. Oh my, what a beauty and smooth ride. I can’t believe how much smoother she takes the waves. The increased weight of the boat makes us feel much safer out in the ocean. Yes she’s a gas guzzler on WOT but I’ll take safety over gas money anytime.
‘I’m still trying to figure out how to operate the Simrad. Between the manual and YouTube this shouldn’t be an issue.
Only a couple of things so far I don’t care for the boat are the new seat hinges. Some don’t have straps to pull up the seats. So you have to slide the seat forward slightly then pull up because there is a plate holding the seat secure. I could probably remove the plate and put on a strap. Also the seat cushion that covers the battery is difficult. You have to pull up to remove. It has two pvc type tubes, about 3” long, that insert into holes. Then I literally had to sit on it to secure the cushion. It definitely needs to be secured better with a hinge. I’m afraid I might lose it if I don’t secure it properly especially at high speeds. I kept losing my depth on the Simrad. Looks like transducer needs to be lowered. I’m not mechanically inclined so I will have mechanic adjust it for me when I take it for 20 hr oil change. The 450R engine does bog down quite a bit on acceleration regardless of how it’s trimmed. It does have trim assist which you can turn off. I need to play more with it. Other than that, which are petty issues, I have no complaints.
The pillow top stitch material is amazing. Extremely comfortable and easy to clean. The Captain’s chair is amazing. I have a bad back and since I’m smaller, I can slide it forward and adjust the back for lumbar support. The raised helm does help seeing over passengers but I wish it was maybe 4” higher. But soooo comfortable. I could easily watch the rpm’s, for break-in, on the 12” Simrad. The power steering just blew my mind. I felt like I was driving a car on water. The swing back was amazing with all the different layouts possible. The new ladder, I think they call it the Lilly pad, was much easier on the feet and easier to climb a board. The 450R is a beast. WOT it feels like you are flying on top of the water. Just amazing to drive this QX. The Fosgate 8 speaker system is amazing. Unfortunately the subwoofer takes up 1/2 the space underneath the helm. The RGB lighting is something I’ve only seen on other boats. I doubt we will use it much except for maybe the 4th of July and Christmas parade. I’m not a fan of driving at night. And I doubt they will help for navigation. I added two Minn Kota power poles since we like to beach. Whe I opened them up they slammed down hard. I’ll have to read up on them also. I don’t know if that is normal or not. My other power pole did not slam as hard. Maybe a tension issue! Idk. We have not opened the Bimini yet. We will try that next time. But the sleek look of the arch combined with the entire fiberglass design is gorgeous. I couldn’t be more pleased with the boat. I highly recommend the QX line!

ps… wish it had more storage but I’ll get over that real quick.

Well she arrived on Monday morning and we have been out for the last two days. Oh my, what a beauty and smooth ride. I can’t believe how much smoother she takes the waves. The increased weight of the boat makes us feel much safer out in the ocean. Yes she’s a gas guzzler on WOT but I’ll take safety over gas money anytime.
‘I’m still trying to figure out how to operate the Simrad. Between the manual and YouTube this shouldn’t be an issue.
Only a couple of things so far I don’t care for the boat are the new seat hinges. Some don’t have straps to pull up the seats. So you have to slide the seat forward slightly then pull up because there is a plate holding the seat secure. I could probably remove the plate and put on a strap. Also the seat cushion that covers the battery is difficult. You have to pull up to remove. It has two pvc type tubes, about 3” long, that insert into holes. Then I literally had to sit on it to secure the cushion. It definitely needs to be secured better with a hinge. I’m afraid I might lose it if I don’t secure it properly especially at high speeds. I kept losing my depth on the Simrad. Looks like transducer needs to be lowered. I’m not mechanically inclined so I will have mechanic adjust it for me when I take it for 20 hr oil change. The 450R engine does bog down quite a bit on acceleration regardless of how it’s trimmed. It does have trim assist which you can turn off. I need to play more with it. Other than that, which are petty issues, I have no complaints.
The pillow top stitch material is amazing. Extremely comfortable and easy to clean. The Captain’s chair is amazing. I have a bad back and since I’m smaller, I can slide it forward and adjust the back for lumbar support. The raised helm does help seeing over passengers but I wish it was maybe 4” higher. But soooo comfortable. I could easily watch the rpm’s, for break-in, on the 12” Simrad. The power steering just blew my mind. I felt like I was driving a car on water. The swing back was amazing with all the different layouts possible. The new ladder, I think they call it the Lilly pad, was much easier on the feet and easier to climb a board. The 450R is a beast. WOT it feels like you are flying on top of the water. Just amazing to drive this QX. The Fosgate 8 speaker system is amazing. Unfortunately the subwoofer takes up 1/2 the space underneath the helm. The RGB lighting is something I’ve only seen on other boats. I doubt we will use it much except for maybe the 4th of July and Christmas parade. I’m not a fan of driving at night. And I doubt they will help for navigation. I added two Minn Kota power poles since we like to beach. Whe I opened them up they slammed down hard. I’ll have to read up on them also. I don’t know if that is normal or not. My other power pole did not slam as hard. Maybe a tension issue! Idk. We have not opened the Bimini yet. We will try that next time. But the sleek look of the arch combined with the entire fiberglass design is gorgeous. I couldn’t be more pleased with the boat. I highly recommend the QX line!

ps… wish it had more storage but I’ll get over that real quick.
Pics or this all didn't really happen and you may have been having a nice dream. :)

Christmas In October! That’s living the dream right there with that boat and motor combination. Looking forward to the pics when they get posted. Enjoy the boat, even during the “getting the little details ironed out” phase of owning it.

The dealer here leaves them on. All of mine have had them on, as well as 2 separate toon replacements . Probably just dealer preference, and it's the only dealer I have used.

One item to consider, your Raptors appear to be mounted using a transom/engine bracket as opposed to a bracket directly behind one of the outer toons. When I reached out to Power Pole they advised against an engine bracket since it could create drag from spray coming from around the middle log. That might be why the boat bogs, when it squats on acceleration those brackets could be submerged. Might be worth having someone watch and see.

One item to consider, your Raptors appear to be mounted using a transom/engine bracket as opposed to a bracket directly behind one of the outer toons. When I reached out to Power Pole they advised against an engine bracket since it could create drag from spray coming from around the middle log. That might be why the boat bogs, when it squats on acceleration those brackets could be submerged. Might be worth having someone watch and see.
That was an issue with the dealer when I said I wanted 2 poles. I guess because of the ladder and engine size, the engine would not turn properly because the pole would be too close. So he said he would have to install the brackets for clearance. Honestly I thought it was the weight of the engine causing the drag upon acceleration. Now looking at it I think you are correct. I’m also losing my depth finder upon acceleration. Thinking it should be lowered for that reason.

I just got through the break in period so hopefully I can get it in next week. I’ll address these issues to a new marina. Plus I want the pontoon issu, shark hide application, taken care of also. Last time I spoke to dealer about the pontoons, he said he was waiting to talk to his GM but he was out of town this week. (Why would you have to wait and talk to the GM? I don’t understand this. If a customer has an issue with a new purchase wouldn’t you want that problem addressed immediately)?

I purchased the boat from Marinemax in SC so I’m taking it to MM here locally. Maybe I will get some answers from them.

I’ll post some pictures later. I do absolutely love the boat though. Major difference in riding in these rough waters at times.

Marinemax in Greenville? About 2 hrs from us. Was looking at a used Benny there years ago. Good group of people!

Marinemax in Greenville? About 2 hrs from us. Was looking at a used Benny there years ago. Good group of people!
Yes I worked with Tee Evans. Great guy. That’s why I bought from him because some of the locals here didn’t seem interested in speaking with me.

That was an issue with the dealer when I said I wanted 2 poles. I guess because of the ladder and engine size, the engine would not turn properly because the pole would be too close. So he said he would have to install the brackets for clearance. Honestly I thought it was the weight of the engine causing the drag upon acceleration. Now looking at it I think you are correct. I’m also losing my depth finder upon acceleration. Thinking it should be lowered for that reason.

I just got through the break in period so hopefully I can get it in next week. I’ll address these issues to a new marina. Plus I want the pontoon issu, shark hide application, taken care of also. Last time I spoke to dealer about the pontoons, he said he was waiting to talk to his GM but he was out of town this week. (Why would you have to wait and talk to the GM? I don’t understand this. If a customer has an issue with a new purchase wouldn’t you want that problem addressed immediately)?

I purchased the boat from Marinemax in SC so I’m taking it to MM here locally. Maybe I will get some answers from them.

I’ll post some pictures later. I do absolutely love the boat though. Major difference in riding in these rough waters at times.

Actually now that you posted the new photos is appears they are mounted flush to the deck? Not sure about the structural rigidity of that - probably fine if they use enough hardware and bolts through the deck supports - but it should be clear of the spray.

What is your prop model and pitch? It looks sufficiently big for the engine but that can have a big impact on hole shot.

Actually now that you posted the new photos is appears they are mounted flush to the deck? Not sure about the structural rigidity of that - probably fine if they use enough hardware and bolts through the deck supports - but it should be clear of the spray.

What is your prop model and pitch? It looks sufficiently big for the engine but that can have a big impact on hole shot.
14.7 x 16p Mercury Enertia

Yes you are correct after I double checked. First time I took it out, and accelerated out of no wake zone, I thought the aft was going under. But yes they are mounted on the deck.

Attachments

• IMG_6755.jpeg
    IMG_6755.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6756.jpeg
    IMG_6756.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6757.jpeg
    IMG_6757.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 30
I run a 16p Enertia with my 200HP Mercury Pro motor. Now, I have a much lighter tritoon than you, but 16p Enertia for your motor seems way under propped IMHO. I’d have to think 18p or 19p with that 450R motor.

My original prop was a 14p Enertia from dealership, and my boat was doggy coming out of hole shot and at top end speed at WOT. I knew it was under performing due to too small of a prop. Dealership was fairly adamant that ”they” propped it correctly, but agreed after a half dozen phone calls to send a guy out and water test a 15p and 16p Enertia with me. Low and behold the 16p dialed my boat in. Hole shot went from doggy to powerful-quick. And I gained about 5 mph top end.

Moral of my story is to follow up with your dealership to water test a couple more larger pitch Enertia props. Bug them if you need to because my dealership was initially dismissive when I bought my boat. I think getting the right size (LARGER PITCH) will dial in your hole shot, efficiency at cruising, and top end at WOT.

Yep, ditto what Viking says you are likely a little underpropped. If you go to the Mercury performance bulletins there are some comps for your boat, closest being a 25' RXSBA with a single 450R that spins a 17" Enertia.

Bear in mind however they are likely propping for max speed (58mph for this particular R model) which is where the Enertia shines. However if you want better holeshot and acceleration you'd probably want to look either at a Mercury Enertia ECO, which is a completely different prop than a "regular" Enertia, or a 4 bladed prop to give some extra bite.

You'll lose some top end speed in exchange, but pick up the aforementioned acceleration and better fuel economy at cruise. It's all about tradeoffs so knowing what your goals are is crucial. You know the saying - good, fast or cheap, you can't have all three so pick two.

Thanks guys for all of your input and information. I did question my dealer on being under propped and he said he sea trialed it himself and said it ran “flawlessly”. You’re probably correct Potomac/Viking in that it was propped for max speed. We definitely don’t need to drive at max speed unless an emergency occurred. I think our cruising speed would fall into 30-35 mph category depending on the wave chop. This would probably be the highest for going to other islands in the surrounding area. Then of course you’re down to wake speeds of 5-7 mph.
is there any way to add an additional gas tank besides strapping it on the back? I have 55 gal now. Or once it’s built that’s it.

Thanks guys for all of your input and information. I did question my dealer on being under propped and he said he sea trialed it himself and said it ran “flawlessly”. You’re probably correct Potomac/Viking in that it was propped for max speed. We definitely don’t need to drive at max speed unless an emergency occurred. I think our cruising speed would fall into 30-35 mph category depending on the wave chop. This would probably be the highest for going to other islands in the surrounding area. Then of course you’re down to wake speeds of 5-7 mph.
is there any way to add an additional gas tank besides strapping it on the back? I have 55 gal now. Or once it’s built that’s it.
You'd have to look in your middle toon and see how much room there is, assuming that's where your current tank is (my 52g is located there under the swingback). You might be able to add another and plumb it somehow in series with the existing one, or have a two-tank selector valve and have them separate but it won't be pretty or easy IMO. And you'll lose valuable storage space, so probably not a lot of great options.

Best way to gain more range... trade in the 450R for a smaller 250! :p

Julianna, I guess I’m a wimp because without a windshield, I can’t imagine cruising at that speed for very long.

You'd have to look in your middle toon and see how much room there is, assuming that's where your current tank is (my 52g is located there under the swingback). You might be able to add another and plumb it somehow in series with the existing one, or have a two-tank selector valve and have them separate but it won't be pretty or easy IMO. And you'll lose valuable storage space, so probably not a lot of great options.

Best way to gain more range... trade in the 450R for a smaller 250! :p
Funny you crack me up trading down! Nothing wrong w/a 250 but I’ll keep the 450R. I’ll just have to start a go fund me page for gas money.
I have a 55/50 SD CTR w/enviro but I don’t have additional floor storage in the bow. Maybe they could add one up there? Without tearing up the boat? Idk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back