Read this if you are trying to decide between a 115 and 150 HP

kaydano

Reaction score
First, I'm guessing this will be rather long, so if you are NOT currently trying to decide between the 115 and the 150, you might find your time better spent elsewhere. If you are struggling with this question, like I was, hopefully my story will give you some things to consider and think about to help you with your decision.

So we finally pulled the trigger on the upgrade from the Mercury 115 four stroke to the new 150 Fourstroke just this week (four days ago). It was a pile of cash, but it ended up being the right decision for us. We had the 115 for 2 years, and it just wasn't cutting it.

I'll jump right in with the 150's speed results. With a light boat (just me, about 1/3rd tank of gas, no coolers) and a 15P Enertia SS prop (thanks again Todd!) I was able to hit 41 mph last night, again I was out by myself. Today we took 9 people out tubing, we had a FULL tank of gas (16 gallons more), two coolers of ice and water, and the max speed was still 39 mph! Wow! It was my wife and I, our 10 year old son, and six 14-year olds, so this wasn't exactly 9 adults. But we had coolers, a lot more gas, and the top speed hung in there MUCH more than I thought. I was very pleasantly surprised. With the 115, the top speed drops significantly when you add more people. With the 115 we would have lost 10 mph pretty easily, instead of just 2 mph with the 150. Now we can now take out more of our kid's friends at one time and not be embarrassed! We would NEVER have taken a group that big out tubing with the 115. It was marginal at best with just 2 or 3 kids when we had the 115. The nine of us had a ball today.

Okay, so how did the 150 do tubing? Awesome. I could do almost everything I wanted, except I did have a little trouble dumping the two 14 year old boys off the tube. Pretty strong boys, and they were holding on for their lives, but they came off once I figured out how to drive it (I was used to the 115, and so I didn't know you could actually do certain things that the 150 can do). I was really whipping them outside the wake though. I probably shouldn't have been that aggressive, but they literally asked for it. That and the fact that I just got the 150 a couple days ago! Hey, I had to see what it could do...

Anyway, if you want to be able to give a wild ride when tubing, forget the 115. Go with the 150.

Can you tube behind the 115? Sure. But it will be full throttle all the time just to get them a little ways out of the wake. When you turn, the speed plummets. Then you have to wait for the acceleration, and it just doesn't work that well. With the 115, I was at full throttle CONSTANTLY. With the 150, I was between 4000 and 4500 rpm and that was FAR better tubing than the 115 was at nearly 6000 rpm. The motor was breathing easy, except when I was really whipping those two boys out wide and went full throttle for a few seconds just before the whip. I'm guessing they were probably going 30-35 mph as the "whip cracked". Really, that was too fast. Too dangerous, and I'm not likely to do that again, but what happened is what happened today, good or bad.

Steering. I only have cable steering. The 115 was fairly hard to turn. All my strength wouldn't let me steer it with one hand. It was two hands and hard cranking on the wheel. Here's the interesting thing: The 150 was pretty much the same! I really couldn't tell the difference. So is the 150 harder to steer? Sure it is, but I was running the tubers at 4000-4500 rpm on the 150. On the 115, it was wide open up in the 5500-6000 range. My guess is the prop torque was much less on the 150 due to the lower rpms, which made it pretty much the same steering difficulty as the 115 at full throttle.

Gas? It does use more gas but then I drove it quite a bit harder. If I drove the 150 at the same speeds as the 115 performed tubing, I'm guessing I would have actually used LESS gas with the 150, because it was breathing MUCH easier. Apples to apples, I'd say full throttle on the 115 (upwards of 6000 rpm) was about equivalent to 3500-4000 rpm on the 150. Big difference.

So bottom line is if you plan to do water sports, and your kids are small (7-10 years for example) the 115 will be okay if it's just mom/dad and two kids. But your kids will quickly outgrow it. They get bigger, heavier, and they have more friends as they get older who are also bigger and heavier. If you expect to trade in the 115 later on, maybe trade the whole boat in a few years, maybe the 115 would be okay for you. If your plan is to keep the boat/motor long term, go with the 150. We haven't pulled a skier or wake boarder, but from what I've read, the 150 is more than enough for that. I skied behind a 35 HP motor as a kid. 2 skis, but I had a blast. Course I didn't really know much different, but I could jump the wake with 2 skis. If I had to guess, with the size of the tube, and having 3 people on it vs 1 skier, I'd say if you can tube well, you won't have trouble skiing, wakeboarding, etc.

Okay so what if you don't do water sports? No kids? No grandkids? Should you still get the 150? Good question. Lots of people say "No one ever complained of too much HP" and "It will ever be as cheap as it is right now". I'm not knocking the people that say that one bit here. Both statements are true. I've said both myself. But if you're looking at shelling out $4-7k for a 150 over a 115, including hydraulic steering, and affordability is important to you, those statements really don't get you to the decision.

It is a hard decision. I spent almost 2 years with the 115. I've complained here a lot about it. I was hoping it would be "enough". I even tried the spitfire prop (which is pretty amazing), but we came to the realization that the upgrade to 150 was inevitable. The kids were already starting to get bored. Since our 115 was depreciating fast, we pulled the trigger now. And we needed it right now too.

Another consideration regarding speed (if you don't do water sports) is wind. It's loud. At 25 mph, people start holding on to things and raise their voices to be heard. At 30 mph, it's hold your hats and yell, so most of the conversation simply stops. At 35 mph, everyone is looking into the wind and silent. Just thought I'd mention this as it is a real-world boating factor to consider when you're thinking about how much speed you will use.

How many passengers will you typically have? A full boat REALLY drags down a 115. A salesman that is just trying to sell you a boat will not load up the boat with people. It will be husband/wife, maybe a kid or two, and the salesmen. The 115 WILL impress you. Don't be fooled. 6 people really start to load a boat down. You can easily expect a loss of 5-10 mph with a 115. A full boat, and expect half speed or less. Here's where the 150 shines. You won't notice the drop off NEARLY as much as you would with the 115.

If you plan to "party boat", with lots of people and just slow cruising, a 115 is FAR more than you need.

Getting back to the dock quick can be a factor. The speed of the 150 comes in handy if a storm pops up, or an emergency (medical or bowel).

How agressive of a driver are you? Do you have a sports car, and not just for show, you really like to drive it hard? Love the feeling of raw power and acceleration? Get the 150. Enough said.

Back to steering, it can be a workout with cable steering. Ask yourself if you're up to the task, especially with tubing. After a couple hours of tubing, I was fairly worn out just from steering. I constantly "S curve" when I pull tubes, so just understand that. Going straight is no big deal!

Weight - The 150 is noticeably heavier. I'd have to look up the specs. It's not a lot. If I had to guess, I'd say less than 50 lbs difference, but it's hanging way out back on the transom, and my boat sits even more "bow high" than it did before. Not sure why I mentioned this, as I can't think of any reason it would be important, just something I noticed.

Wow, this is longer than I thought it would be. Hope it helps...

Last edited by a moderator:
What a way to hit 1000 posts, great job!

No way!!! Ha ha ha ha. I didn't even notice that. Wow, have I really written 1000 posts??? I need to get a life. I guess when I'm not actually boating, I dream about boating, read about boating, and obviously write 1000 posts about boating.

THAT is some VERY useful information. Dealers need to start stocking up on 150's. ;)

I think as soon as a the customer says "watersports" or anything similar as a priority, the dealer should start talking about a 150, strakes, and either 2 ellipticals or 3 tubes. Otherwise they may have a disappointed customer. Ultimately the customer can decide if it's more than they want to spend, but at least expectations were clearly set beforehand.

Dano

Great information and perfectly said. I think a lot of people will take this post to heart. You've have helped probably more people then you will ever know with this testimonial.

Just make sure you keep that prop nice and shiny. She'll tell me if she isn't being taken care of... Hahahahha

I can tell you we have had our boat for a year and we're already saying we should've got a bigger motor. I could've take a nap tubing with my two nieces a couple of weeks ago.

How much did the trade up to the 150 set you back all in? Rigging,etc.

Mercury dealers that have been conservative in ordering engines are short on 150 motors. Some more aggressive dealers have plenty, and are willing to drop the prices to move them--about $10K without setup or controls.

The price differential between the 150 Fourstroke and the Merc. 115 hp is about $2,100 online.

A Yamaha F150 will set you back about $13K online.

Excellent info. Some day when I dump my 20hp this info will make it easier to just dump the cash on a 150. It'll be a couple years till we do the ICW so I better start saving. :)

So if at time of purchase it would be around 2500 - 3500. On a new 150 trading in a 115 we're looking at 5000-6500? Does that sound right?

Thanks for the the compliments guys, but I wrote this to help others because of the help you guys have given me over the last couple years. My contributions to the forum to date still do not make things even.

Cost. I forgot the most important item! Bama is right, before I started calling for quotes, I looked at online prices, NADA, etc. If you are simply going to buy a new motor (and not trade one in) Bass Pro shops are VERY competitive. They may not be the absolute best price on the internet, but there WILL be a store near you, which is important for a lot of reasons.

I dug up my cost info, and my notes show I estimated $2100 for the HP upgrade between the 115 and the 150. Exactly the same as Bamaman. I estimated about $1400 for depreciation on our 2-year old 115 based on NADA info. $300 for installation. We're at $3800 so far, and that incremental price is pretty much with me selling the motor on Craigslist, finding a buyer (phone calls, emails etc), demoing it (hopefully only once), negotiating it, taking money from a stranger, a trip somewhere to have the motor lifted off, my time, dealing with anything that went wrong after the sale, etc. I would also be paying ~$750 in sales tax on the new motor, whereas on the trade in, my tax cost was about 1/3rd that, so I would have paid another $500 for the extra tax if I sold it myself and bought a new one. Selling it myself, my estimated cost to upgrade would be around $4300.

I put my motor on Craigslist, and had a couple people interested in it, but I also called around for quotes to trade it in. Dealer quotes came in several thousand (not hundred) different from each other. I was surprised. Bama mentioned dealer inventory being a problem and he is right on the spot. These motors are hard to find. Only 2 of the 6 places I called actually had one in stock. The lowest price (which luckily was also very close to home, and they had one in stock) also threw in an extended 2 year Mercury "Gold" level warranty . So, I now have a 5 year warranty. Not sure what that would have cost, but let's estimate $500.

Sorry for all the reading just to get to the price I paid: Best quote was $4500 with my trade in, the new motor was in stock, and that included the $500 extended warranty (if you buy at the right time, you might get this for free, but the promo was not being offered at the time). Add to that tax and labor and the upgrade cost me $5200 out the door. Compare that to the $4300 above for selling it myself, plus add $500 for the warranty upgrade so this is an apples-apples comparison, and I estimate the upgrade would have cost me about $4800 if I sold it myself. I guess I could have saved ~$400 selling it myself (maybe more) but it wasn't worth it to me, ESPECIALLY since Bass Pro (which had the cheapest cost for a new motor, but they do not take trade-ins) didn't have them in stock! Had I sold my old motor myself, it would have ended boating season for us waiting for the new motor to arrive. So I went with the trade in.

When I bought the boat new with the 115 about 2 years ago, the incremental cost to get the 150 was pretty much the same as what it cost me to do it now because the only Merc four stroke option at that time was the 150 Verado, and it had all the digital controls which significantly bumped up the price. Two months after I bought our boat, Mercury started shipping the new 150 Fourstroke, a MUCH cheaper option. So all things considered, I'm not very far off from the cost it would have been had I just bought the 150 with the boat in the first place. Today you can do it cheaper.

The biggest thing that would have changed my initial decision, was HAD I JUST KNOWN HOW WE WOULD USE THE BOAT IN THE FIRST PLACE. That was the key. I didn't realize water sports was going to be such a big deal for us and the kids, but it ultimately was the reason for the upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
So if at time of purchase it would be around 2500 - 3500. On a new 150 trading in a 115 we're looking at 5000-6500? Does that sound right?
I don't know what the current "build a boat" incremental cost is, but I'll assume you are right. If you do the upgrade later, it depends how long your trade-in motor depreciates, but you are in the range on that. I was closer to the $5k end.

I have a 150, went tubing for the first time and WOW!!! So glad I didn't get the 115.

Thanks! Guess I'll start searching. What would be great would be to find someone that the 150 "scares" that would be willing to do a trade out.

Great info and great community!

One more comment about the 150...

When tubing with our 115, there was always a big spray of water (from the prop) that would come out of the water just in front of the tube while driving in a straight line. It was big enough to swamp the riders. I had to constantly "S" turn to keep it from happening. The 150 doesn't do this, and I think the reason is the rpms are a lot less for the same speed. If we are running near WOT on the 150 (obviously without tube riders) that same spray occurs. But at tubing speeds, it is no longer a problem.

Anyway, another nice side benefit of the 150.

Upon changing my signature, I thought I'd make one more comment. If you will normally be boating with just one or two people, and will not be pulling tubes, the speed I got out of the 150 was only 6 mph more than the 115. So, if this is your situation, the 115 could well be sufficient.

Thanks for all the info kaydano, you have definitely given me something to think about

Kaydano - thanks for all the great info. Could you please provide the specs on your boat (ie, boat length, toon sizes, strakes, etc?) Thanks!

Dano has a 24 SSL express toon package with lifting strakes on all 3 logs

Todd

Congrats on the new motor kaydano! My husband thought we only needed 115 hp on the new boat (coming from a 90 hp on the old toon)...but I told him we weren't buying without going to a 150 hp. Fast forward and he loves it, as do the kids. I really like to be right! :p

Back