Remove registration numbers/stickers

Indy597

Reaction score
Picked up a 2011 2275 RCW a few weeks ago. Here in Maine boat registration numbers are permanent and they stay with the boat even with a transfer of ownership. Went to register it today and the clerk tells me that the previous owner had put the wrong stickers on the boat...I didn't think this was a big deal because the numbers they had used were ugly as hell and I had already ordered new ones to replace them...I went out yesterday to try to remove the numbers, in the past I had just used a heat gun or hair dryer to heat them up and they peeled right off. This time NOTHING worked. I tried heat for hours, goo gone and a dozen other types of over the counter sprays or chemicals and nothing would touch it. Having lost all hope I bought the "3M Stripe Off Wheel" at an auto parts store - it is for removing pinstriping off cars without damaging the paint. I put it in my drill and it tore through those decals like they weren't even there....maybe 10 minutes of work to get all the sticker material off followed by a wipe down with soap and water and it was as if they were never there.

Just wanted to share it with you guys and hopefully prevent someone from getting as frustrated like I was for a couple days.

Also - my new numbers are from that domed numbers website that I read about somewhere on this forum - they look excellent too.

not sure if i'm allowed to post links, here is the wheel I used: http://www.amazon.com/3M-Stripe-Wheel-07498-Hardware/dp/B00063VT0G

Good to know! My buddy used to own an autobody shop and they used these things there, but they got them from their supplier, good to know where I can get them now that he sold the business!

Derrick

Thanks for the tip. The use I see for this is to remove those stupid dealer stickers from my car... Hate the things.

Indy597, went to O'Reilly's to pick up the stripe tool.....49.95 plus tax...told them I wasn't going to pay double, was willing to pay $10 more but not double. Just ordered from Amazon. You have to draw the line somewhere and double was it for me. Hope it works as well for me. Steve

Wow! Wish I had known about that product when I bought my boat a few years ago. I actually used Goo Gone and WD 40. I sprayed the numbers/letters and left it on overnight and went back to the lake the next day and they came off w/just using my fingernail. That wheel would have been much quicker..........

Great info. Goo B. Gone is a great product too. Spray on. Wait a few and use a plastic squeegee and off they come thanks for sharing

Todd

I realize this is a very old thread but just wanted to know if this 3M Stripe Wheel is still the best thingto use for removing old decals and such?  I am planning on removing the 3 original Bennington decals off of my boat and replace them with the new dimensional ones that now come on the Q and R models.  I just picked up one set to replace the one on the bow to see how it goes.  I eventually also want to replace the state I.D. numbers/letters with those domed ones people on here have been talking about. 

Hey Keith......just moved from VA to NC and had to change all letters and numbers on my boat. I used my neighbor's heat gun and they came right off. I just pointed the gun at the individual number/letter to heat it up for a few seconds and they peeled right off. Can't get any easier than that........This is the same method that this "Wrap" company is going use to take the decals off when I get my boat wrapped in the off season.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks....my Dad has a heat gun and I just snagged it from him.  I'll try my luck with it tomorrow.   My only hope is that when I remove them I don't have brighter paint under it than the rest of the side panels are.

Just don't get too aggressive with the heat gun. It doesn't take much, even a good hair dryer will do it.

Yup Tom is right. I was going to use a blow dryer but the

heat gun became available.......

Yeah my Dad gave me the same warning.  Thanks guys.

Thanks for the tip. The use I see for this is to remove those stupid dealer stickers from my car... Hate the things.

I make the dealers take those stickers off before I drive off of the lot. Made the boat dealer take all of the dealers stickers off of my boat, too. I'm not giving any of those guys free advertisement. If they don't help pay for the boat, or pay me per month to have their name on my property, it's not going to be there.  

I'm the same way. I don't want to be driving a rolling/floating billboard.

Well as usual you guys were spot on with the best way to do this.  Just finished removing the Bennington word from the bow gate and it came off effortlessly and with minimal heat....just as you said it would.   Best part of all is there's no discoloration between what was behind the lettering and the rest of the panel.

Prior to installing the new lettering is the process of preparing the panel to apply rubbing alcohol on it first and then letting it dry before I put the new letters on? If anyone is an expert at this please chime in. Thanks again everyone.

Not sure on the prep but I'm dying to see the finished product!

I'll probably wait until Saturday to do it because the high temps will be in the upper 70s vs. the 90 degrees it was today. I already took a before pic...I'll post it plus the after photo once I'm done.  I must say these new decals look WAY nicer.

Do you remember the website for the domed letters by chance?

shop.domednumbers.com

A bit pricey but I'm very happy with the product!

Yup...I liked my domed numbers

Last edited by a moderator:
Back