Removing heavy calcium/mineral deposits

Polaris192

Reaction score
I need to get the toons cleaned up below the water line.  The previous owner left the boat in the water for the season for about 10 years.  There is heavy build up (1/16" +) of mineral deposits.  Im hesitant to use an acid like CLR or the works toilet bowel cleaner.  Are those fine or is wet sanding with a 220 grit a better option?  If I do sand what type of sander, da or line sander?  Also what grit do I use?  

Thanks!

Tim

I would use an acid, but you're going to need one made for aluminum. CLR is useless.

I would use an acid, but you're going to need one made for aluminum. CLR is useless.

Can you make a recommendation CWag, as I would be interested

google pontoon cleaner, I used Toon Brite for years and never had a problem, I also used a pressure washer made the pontoons look like new.

There are many acid based pontoon cleaners that you can see on YouTube. But it's hard to clean the ENTIRE pontoon yourself when it sits on a trailer. I've had ours done a few times over the years and the marina we used to keep our boat at picked our boat up off the trailer and had full access to the underside of the pontoons. The only way to get a good complete cleaning...... 

I have access to a scissor style trailer so the toons will be fully exposed.  I've read on other forums that if they are really bad sanding is the best option.  The acids that are aluminum safe are way less effective.  I hope someone here has been through this and can post their results.  

Think Kaydano did a detailed description of what it took, perhaps he can find it and provide a link.  I just remember that it made me sure I wouldn't attempt it

I just polished my toons. Nothing that extreme. Although I'd probably use my sander/grinder, and some kind of abrasive/sanding wheel... That would be a lot faster than sandpaper.

Can anybody recommend a good tube cleaner? Mine are heavily stained. I tried Star Brite but that stuff is useless.

Try "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner at the Dollar store.

I just polished my toons. Nothing that extreme. Although I'd probably use my sander/grinder, and some kind of abrasive/sanding wheel... That would be a lot faster than sandpaper.

Sorry , but i think that is a terrible idea and bad advice for anyone that reads this. Using something that abrasive on your pontoons is asking for trouble and would more than likely ruin them. How much material do you think needs removed when you are starting with aluminum that is only .08" thick to start with? Better be pretty handy with that grinding wheel...

Ha ha! I didn't say use a grinding wheel! I agree, that would cut a hole in your pontoon, and that would be bad!

You can use a grinder to polish pontoons to a mirror finish though. Of course you have to select the right wheel for the job (and the right rouge if you use a cotton or wool wheel). If the pontoons are really bad, something more abrasive. But I didn't mean cut holes in the pontoon!

Chemicals can be expensive, so before using them on the whole boat I would start with a powerful power-wash. My dad had an old crusty aluminum fishing boat that stayed in the water for years. We flipped it upside down blasted it for an hour and it took off about 95% of the build-up. I would start there first and see what comes off before using chemicals.

Kaydano,

I didn't think you'd actually use a grinding wheel but just making sure! I'd be real careful with sandpaper of too low of grit too. Personally I wouldn't use anything more abrasive than an aluminum polish. Acid wash first (or whatever chem of choice) if it must be done.

Ok, I tried JJV's Best Aluminum cleaner now my tubes look like crap even though I did exactly as the YouTube video says to....Now I have tubes that are different shades of gray, silver and black and chaulky looking....any ideas?....Do I need to apply another coat? tubecleaner 003.JPG

IMG_20170821_151318.jpg
This was the result using white diamond polishing compound found at auto parts stores. Don't remember which one I go it from but think it was O'Reilly. I tried it after reading of others experience with it and it works great. Don't let the small bottle fool you...a little goes a long way!

I messed up my tubes on my first boat by using the aluminum wheel cleaner spray on them at the car wash one day. Made a mess out of them similar to yours. Tarnished and streaked them up pretty bad. I used porter cable 5" buffer and it took me about 2 - 2 1/2 hours to get them to that point in the picture. The boat was fairly new at the time so older tubes might take a bit more time but it isnt that bad and it gets way easier the next time if you keep up on them. The next time I decided to shine them up it probably took about an hour. Unbolt the trim piece above the tubes and it will make it a bit easier also.

Back