REPLACING TABLE on 2011 22ft BENNINGTON PONTOON

12voltman

Reaction score
Fellow Mariners,

I am looking to replace the standard plastic table that came with my Bennington Pontoon boat.

I have an aluminum hollow pole that fits the table on once side, and the other end slides into a premade hole on the deck.  My concern is that I am looking build a custom 1/2 table made out of teak wood, and Im not sure if the pole will support weight.

Has anyone tried to do a similar project....

Thanks

Woodenpontoon?!?

That is what I was thinking? He needs to chime in for sure!

I can't imagine that pole not supporting a wood table. Even if you make the table 3/4" thick and band it with another 3/4" to make it look like a 1-1/2" thick top, the weight can't be huge. I'm trying to remember the diameter of that vs. the seat pole which can hold 100's of pounds rocking back and forth and side to side. You would have to figure a mount for the under side of the table. if I remember on mine, the pole fits in a formed plastic socket on my table.  

Seems like it would be easy enough to glue or create a pocket underneath for the pole to go into. I think the factory tables should be removed at speeds above 15 mph or so so be sure to keep that in mind, Probably don't want it grabbing air, flying up and smacking someone in the face. I'll be curious to see how it turns out. I made a new handle for my hunting bow years ago out of black walnut and it fits my hand great. Sure added some class.

If it wobbles add a 2nd foldable leg to it.

Hahaha, remove above 15 mph ...... I NEVER have to remove mine then!!! LOL !!!

We use our table as a flotation device too. Sort of like a kick board. Works pretty well.

Seems like it would be easy enough to glue or create a pocket underneath for the pole to go into. I think the factory tables should be removed at speeds above 15 mph or so so be sure to keep that in mind, Probably don't want it grabbing air, flying up and smacking someone in the face. I'll be curious to see how it turns out. I made a new handle for my hunting bow years ago out of black walnut and it fits my hand great. Sure added some class.
You know......until somebody on this forum mentioned that you should remove the table if you exceed a certain speed I had no idea that was the case. Then I read the warning on the label. We have never taken that table out at any speed. For us who doesn't live on the lake that table is very valuable to us. We eat all of our meals on it and use that table every time we go out!

Ours is in the garage.

We have never used our table either.  Big Kahuna, mow that you are on the lake I bet you wont be eating on the boat as often

Our table is in the basement. Never use it. Maybe with the baby we will though.

Its easier to lay the baby on the lounger to change the diaper than using the table

Mark I'm sure we'll still take food/drinks. Just so used to it. But then again we can just run home........

I think I've only told Carl this.........an elderly retired judge lives waterfront directly in front of our house. She has 3 lots. Her house is on one and has a storage building on another w/a parking area and another heavily wooded. She has 2 boat slips but doesn't own a boat since her husband died....... I will be keeping my boat in one of the slips and park the trailer in the parking area...........for $50 a month. What a steal!!! So we'll have our boat across the street easily accessible anytime...........Another neighbor keeps his boat in the other slip and she's been charging him the the same for years........

Did she make you sign a contract?

Nope no contract......gave her the first $50 check yesterday on the 1st......

But we were thinking of writing a signed statement that we will assume full responsibility/liability should anything happen to her slip/property etc......piece of mind for her.

Its easier to lay the baby on the lounger to change the diaper than using the table
And probably preferable if you have lunch on the table and you're taking care of a dookie ......

We use our table all the time. When it's time to eat, it gets full quick. But with teens we bring lots of different snacks, which fills the table. It also has three built in drink holders. The are not the best but work for other stuff.

I'm pretty sure our table locks in to the post at the table and the floor both.

Nope no contract......gave her the first $50 check yesterday on the 1st......

But we were thinking of writing a signed statement that we will assume full responsibility/liability should anything happen to her slip/property etc......piece of mind for her.
I'd work on the language so it states you will only be responsible to cover damages based on your negligence etc. If your other neighbor damages the dock, has no contract and you have one stating you'll cover dock damages...she could come after you. And If I was her I'd be more concerned about liability. A slip and fall could cause way more litigation than replacing a 10' section of dock. I read indemnity/hold harmless agreements all day for multi million dollar contracts. Sometimes an extra word here and there can make a huge difference. Sounds like she is pretty cool but you never know how people will respond. I'm not a lawyer though so please don't quote me as giving legal advice. Juct wanted to make sure you are protected as well.

Back