Retirement locations

Link

Reaction score
Recently a few have inquired about lake living retirement. This months issue of BoatUS magazine had an article on "10 great boating towns". Here is a link to the article: http://www.boatus.co...ating-towns.asp then "Click here to see the ten boating towns we selected"

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course due to the article the cost of living/retiring in one of these towns now just doubled. lol :(

Traverse City, MI = 1 :) :) :) :)

In all seriousness the wife and I have decided we will be heading to the NC region in about 8-10yrs.

Nice to read about so many places that are great for retirement. Obviously BoatUS magazine also believes local culture and healthcare facilities are important, and they are.

But I don't understand how they think some of these places are affordable for retirement. For example, San Diego's Cost of Living: 32.6% above the national average, 1%-12.3% state income tax; 8.1% combined state and local sales taxes. Few people can afford to live there when working, much less after retirement.

There are just so many incredible lakes in places that are truly affordable and offer a quieter life than living in some big city. It's hard to beat the four large lakes on the MO/AR border or the 9 major Tennessee River lakes or the lakes of North GA, or Dale Hollow/Center Hill in TN or 3 lakes outside Birmingham. There are just so many lakes within an hour of larger cities that meet all the needs of retirees, and where they can still afford to put gasoline in their boats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great article. The first sentence "Do you daydream about life after working? Would you like to move to a boating paradise once you're free of the daily grind?"

YES!!!! I think about it all the time. It's never to early to think about it. I've got at least 15 years but you never know what happens.

I like where we are on Lake Norman. We're on a dead end foad, no homeowners assn, but within 5 mins to shopping etc. And the boat is parked out front. B)

They forgot to mention the price of gas ,$6.50 at the marinas in Northern Michigan

I like where we are on Lake Norman. We're on a dead end foad, no homeowners assn, but within 5 mins to shopping etc. And the boat is parked out front. B)
We'll be down there sooner or later, Carl..............Good article Link...........

Our new neighbor is Kyle Busch about 3 miles away. 7500 sg. ft. home for 7.5 mil. We paid 325k for our place in 2004.

Tell him I said Hi.. Just kidding. I'm glad Traverse City made the list. You can't beat northern Michigan (during the summer). I can't wait to get up there in a couple weeks.

What the heck?? Manitoba didn't make the list?? That article is a totally PAID advertisement!!! Haha jk

I want to retire wherever Gee lives!! Those pics are great!

Our new neighbor is Kyle Busch about 3 miles away. 7500 sg. ft. home for 7.5 mil. We paid 325k for our place in 2004.
That's a little larger than most the 5,500 square ft. average homes around here. 7500 square feet here would run about $1 million.

Except the Books A Million guy that just built 27,000 square feet on a 2000' lot with a 2 acre swimming pool. His only problem is that his 147' Christensen yacht ($25M-$30M) is too large for his boat dock. But the boat stays in Ft. Lauderdale most of the year.

Lake of the Ozarks is our retirement destination, we plan to move full time in 4 to 6 Months, wife is retiring, fortunately my employer has agreed to let me work from home in MO versus Wichita Ks.......

Lake of the Ozarks is our retirement destination, we plan to move full time in 4 to 6 Months, wife is retiring, fortunately my employer has agreed to let me work from home in MO versus Wichita Ks.......
Lucky family.

I hope to persuade my bride to do the same, staring to look at locations in August. If anything we'll start out with a family vacation home and then turn it into a permanent residence in 15 to 20 years or until I win the Lottery, whichever comes first...lol

Table Rock Lake will be our retirement home after I retire in a few months and am relly looking forward to it!

Jack

Jack we moved to Nixa from Memphis and it was the best move we ever made. Nice people, cost of living is low, clean area and 32 miles to Table Rock. What do they say:"PRICELESS".

Afisman - Nixa is a very nice community and is close to the lake. We have grown very fond of the Kimberling City area after many years of vacationing in the area and have purchased a house with a great view of the city and the lake and is about a 5 minute drive to the dock. I plan to be there full time soon after the first of the year. Hope to see you on the lake sometime. Our boat is Champaign so if you see us please stop and say hello.

Jack

Back