Retirement locations

I too left Memphis, and it was like a new lease on life. It's wonderful to go into a fast food restaurant and actually get service without an attitude. Memphis is just about the only big city in the southeast without a really good lake close by. All the other major cities have lakes in the back door. Nashville has two major lakes and the Cumberland River within the city limits with Dale Hollow and Center Hill to the east.

I recognize that Springfield, MO is one of the most livable cities in the U.S., and an absolutely great place to retire. And if possible, living close to those Missouri lakes is even better. Many peop.le don't realize how nice the people in the Ozarks are

I just got in from a ride on the Tenn. River. The weather's still not settled into it's Summer doldrums, with white caps and wind. Few people were out today on the water. We're up to 5 generations enjoying our family's lake house. Best $4,000 my grandmother ever spent--in 1945.

I figure someday I'll retire to Elkhart Indiana. I could spend my retirement doing guided tours of the Bennington plant!!!

Hey, you could get a post retirement job delivering travel trailers--if there are any rv companies in business by that time.

Pontoons/tritoons are the only really big positive segment of the marine retail market, and it appears Bennington is the leader of the pack. I honestly don't know how such a young company could go through ownership changes and increase market share so fast. Just coordinating all of the components purchasing and spec'ing out seats, etc. has to be a nightmare. And they have to constantly change designs and colors in order to stay ahead of tough competitors.

And I wonder how many used beer cans are recycled to make enough aluminum sheeting to make Bennington pontoons?

Just know I am doing my part Bama in keeping Bennington supplied

Jack our new boat is a 2275GS also champaign with a black accent. Yamha 115. We are to put her in the water on Tuesday at Rockwood Resort where our slip is located. Will look for you as we "cruise" this summer. Oh about retirement. It took a few months to kind of get the hang of it but boy once it kicked in it has been great. Will be even better with the new boat. Best to you in your upcoming retirement.

hanshake, stan

I am retired on Dale Hollow Lake in TN. 32000 acres of clean water and great boating. Excellent medical facilities. 82 miles from Nashville and no state income tax. My place overlooks the lake on a private dead-end road.

dasalmon: You're right about Dale Hollow being an absolutely great, clear lake. It's another place you can get scuba tanks filled at boat docks. I was looking at Googlemaps the other day of Dale Hollow, and it'd be pretty easy to get lost on that lake. I've never seen so many coves and sloughs, and it'd be a great place to have a houseboat.

I assume you go into Cookeville for hospitals and shopping. I always enjoyed staying there, and they have a bunch of decent restaurants. One of my childhood friends lives there and installs video and audio systems in yachts and houseboats on Dale Hollow and Center Hill lakes.

Boy Bama you are correct about getting lost on Dale Hollow. I bought a Garmin GPS Map 521 and had the dealer install it on our new boat. Just for that reason. Now we can track back were we came from or punch in where we want to go. Sure makes you feel better knowing you won't get lost.

Back