Rough water package

lakeliving

Reaction score
Why are the rough water fins not fully welded? We ordered the sealed strakes which are recommended for salt water but the rough water fins are not fully sealed. I wonder why this is as water would definitely get behind there when under way.

Any thoughts?

Hmmm.  Guess I really never looked that close.  When I ordered my boat (3 yeras ago now) the saleman had no idea on why there was a difference (sealed vs unsealed).  He ordered sealed just because.....  I have the rough water package as well and really don't have a good answer except be glad we don't boat in saltwater and have to deal with washing a boat and flushing the motor after every use :D   

We're in Michigan for now but ordered the saltwater goodies in case we ever move south. I wonder why they wouldn't be sealed though. Hhhmmmm.

I paid to get the strakes sealed but I wonder why they feel the spash deflector bracing doesn't need complete welding to keep water out.

I paid to get the strakes sealed but I wonder why they feel the spash deflector bracing doesn't need complete welding to keep water out.
Maybe to make them easier to replace after they take a beating for a few years - hitting them on the dock and other things.  It is easy to bang them on things because of their location and how far they protrude from the nose.

Jack

I ordered the rough water package and the sealed strakes, here are the pix of them.

Thanks for the photos, I'm referring the that additional bracing under the splash guard. Looking at your photos it looks as if any water that gets in there can drain out. I think I might have answered my own question there.

Perhaps because the strakes are always underwater, and sealed strakes are part of the saltwater package, they did not want salt water in them all the time.

Since the splash deflectors are above the water, they may have felt it was better to give them drainage and air circulation?

I don't think they need full welding for strength, so why weld all that if it is not needed.

That's funny. We were thinking and typing the same thing at the same time!

I think Geoff and Andy are both correct, and both items are in different packages.

and I have no intention of salt water tooning !!!  hehe

Last edited by a moderator:
You never know Grizz, when all the snow melts up here in michigan and the north east, it could flood the us and we'll have diluted salt water to boat in!

Someone there told me it was so they would drain and could be easily rinsed out, leaving no salt.

Thanks Tom. That's kind of what we were thinking on the drainage.

oh no ! that would be worse than Bamaman accidently dropping a box of ice cream salt in the river !!! but my GF said don't worry cause he is down river !!! hehe !

Looking at the pics of the strakes, how can they be watertight if they're not welded all the way along the top? The ones on our boat look identical to the pics except ours has a hole in the rear (of the strake).

We boat in fresh water (if you call it that, point is it is not salt water) and I wish I had the sealed strakes.

Whenever we come down off plane and stop, the strakes submerge and bubble as they fill with water.  The first time I saw it, I thought I had punctured a pontoon or split a weld.  I cut the day short and went back to the dock just in case. 

Whenever we get up on plane, the strakes empty out.  Then they'll bubble again when we stop.  Not a major deal, but seeing bubbles coming out from under a pontoon always makes you wonder...

wow, I never heard that about the strakes before, but it does make a lot of sense.

Back