S SERIES VS L SERIES vs all others, deck construction

DAVECS1

Reaction score
Hey all, first post here. When my family was young the wife and I were avid boaters, we had a 28 foot Chap and ran the great lakes, mn and WI inland lakes. We live on the IL river. As the kids got into activities we sold our boat. Well everyone wants to get back on the water and a pontoon has been chosen as the vehicle of choice. We have gravitated to the bennington as those we have ridden in seem built tuff and hold up well to years of use. Was on a 2003 that felt only a couple years old if that.

Finally my question. We are in the sub 100K range. We are finding many floor plans we like on S series boats, our budget will allow us to get a decently appointed L series boat. I was wondering is there any difference in the foundational construction of the toons and deck. I understand furniture and tech are the big upgrades, but I want to ensure I am not giving up structural integrity going with the S-series? Thanks all for any help.

Hey all, first post here. When my family was young the wife and I were avid boaters, we had a 28 foot Chap and ran the great lakes, mn and WI inland lakes. We live on the IL river. As the kids got into activities we sold our boat. Well everyone wants to get back on the water and a pontoon has been chosen as the vehicle of choice. We have gravitated to the bennington as those we have ridden in seem built tuff and hold up well to years of use. Was on a 2003 that felt only a couple years old if that.

Finally my question. We are in the sub 100K range. We are finding many floor plans we like on S series boats, our budget will allow us to get a decently appointed L series boat. I was wondering is there any difference in the foundational construction of the toons and deck. I understand furniture and tech are the big upgrades, but I want to ensure I am not giving up structural integrity going with the S-series? Thanks all for any help.
There used to be a slight difference with the cross members between the S model and other models. They standardized it a few years ago. So there are not differences in that regard these days. You really wont be looking at any structural integrity differences between an S and L model boat. The refinement of some elements will be better on the L, and as you noted, a few more options available on the L’s compared to the S’s. The L series basically replaced the S-premiums back in about 2019-20. So the base L models are in essence a refined S model.

Side note, the old G series boats were replaced by the LX model. So a little more refinement and options on those compared to the base L line up. But that of course starts pushing the budget up more.

From a durability standpoint, the only area were you can “beef“ it up is really in the hull choice. Otherwise, all else will be equal in that regard between those line ups.

Personally, I like the small refinements of the L over the S. When we bought ours in 2017, they just had S or S premium and no L. We went S premium for those reasons. I think its worth it if the price is right.

Last edited:
Have you used Benningtons boat builder ? At times with options added that are standard on the next model ,the price is sometimes not a lot more . If you haven't done so already sign up for Benningtons emails, they were offering 10k off on some models.

This is good to know. The biggest thing right now is the fam, all girls, like the swing backs. Most of the L series in my area are quad bench models. There are many SX models to choose from, with swing back configs, and a changing room. To big ticket items for the girls.

This is good to know. The biggest thing right now is the fam, all girls, like the swing backs. Most of the L series in my area are quad bench models. There are many SX models to choose from, with swing back configs, and a changing room. To big ticket items for the girls.

I can't comment on the construction, but can offer a few thoughts... I boated as a kid on small inland PA lakes on 20' Glastron ski type boats, left boating until about 5 years ago, and got back into it renting boats during the weeks we'd spend in the Cape Coral/Sanibel area.

We bought a 24 L swing back last year and have a year and a half under our belt. I'm telling my story since we thought we bought too much boat, but have a very different opinion now, and spoiler... are very happy with our purchase... I have 2 teens, and my daughter and her friends (which can be called a gaggle most times we go out, lol), love the swing back.

First, layout. based on your description, and my experience, the girls will love the swingback. it is awesome to make a lot of folks comfortable without actually having seats for butts... on our boat, everyone likes to lounge, and the swingback is awesome for that. Second vote for the swingback is storage.... it is so much more useful than the storage under our bench seats... Think, table, water toys, floats for swimming, etc.

Changing room: hard pass... it's expensive, and too much trouble to muck with. We didn't buy it thankfully. by the time the girls think about it, they hold towels up for each other and create their own changing room. I can see how it is invaluable to some, especially if you need a head onboard. If it were me, I'd get some spring clips and a canvas tarp or something and just clip it on the bimini to make a changing room.

Get a tritoon. Especially if you are going to hit the great lakes at ANY time. Go for the SPS+ or ESP hulls. They will handle rough water much better, and any watersports you throw at them. Perhaps more importantly, opt for the center hull floor storage. We initially intended to get a much cheaper boat, but ended up with the SPS+, 250 VMax, and center hull storage. You'd need to pry all of them from my cold, dead hands... All of our fenders, anchor, inflatable kayak, etc. fit in the center locker. It makes the boat a lot more comfortable.

Back to the hull/motor. We generally have two adults and 4-8 older teens onboard. I wouldn't want to operate that way with anything less than a 200Hp motor. I thought the 250 was insane, but actually would like a bigger motor (i'm at the hull limit at 250 anyway). Having boated in the open water in the Gulf a good bit, the hull and stronger motor are essential if you are going to be on the great lakes. If you aren't doing watersports, or on the great lakes, a 150 is probably fine. When operating at no wake speeds, the 250 is insanely fuel efficient. I was shocked. That said, at WOT, it chews fuel like crazy. Operating in the midrange is a lot more tolerable though.

Other thoughts...
  • the RGB lights are cool. Except up north, sunset and sunrise are so early/late that we essentially never use them. We always run them when onboard, but in the middle of the day/sun they don't add much.
  • Seriously consider upgrading from the "included" Garmin or equivalent. They are ok, but I find that I really want more info like maps, engine data like fuel flow, etc.
  • Get the elevated helm
  • Get a rearview mirror - there are some awesome ones referenced on the site
  • If you leave your boat in a slip (water), skip the sharkhide. it won't help enough to make it worthwhile
  • After your 20 hr motor break in, plan a whole day of handling and writing down speed and RPM's and understanding trim. You'd be surprised how often folks aren't propped quite right. It can be very dependent on what you do on the water.... it's also a good baseline data set to help understand how much heavy load affects the boat, build up on the toons is killing performance, or if you may have water building up.
  • Upgrade your ladder to a 5 step model if you can. the 4 step curved ladder is nice, but more is more
  • Be prepared to use your dealer a lot if you have issues. new boats aren't like new cars. Most dealers are pretty awesome to help resolve build snafu's I had several myself, and the dealer was very responsive.
  • Add a second battery... just do it...
good luck and hope this helps!

that does help, and it also hurts a little LOL. None of the SXSBs have the 200hp on them. One has a 150 SHO. There are two LSRs with Merc 200s big fuel tanks and DTS!, bit LSR..... I currently have the sale sheet waiting for a signature, for an LSR, in my email and the girls are not in agreement.

I need to find an LSB, with a 200 merc is what I am hearing.

that does help, and it also hurts a little LOL. None of the SXSBs have the 200hp on them. One has a 150 SHO. There are two LSRs with Merc 200s big fuel tanks and DTS!, bit LSR..... I currently have the sale sheet waiting for a signature, for an LSR, in my email and the girls are not in agreement.

I think an LSB with that Merc would be pretty awesome...

Ditto everything JCR said. Everything. We have the SB as well. When looking in (2016-17) our kids ranged from 13-24 at the time. Now all young adults (19-29). The swingback is the #1 layout feature the teens and young adults like. Hands down…hard stop.

When their friends or cousins are up with them, that’s where they are at. And 2 of them will ALWAYS choose that spot if it’s available. And the same for my wife and I when we get those rare solo opportunities to use it. Finally, it has a lot of practical advantages that JCR mentioned.

As a matter of fact, I was originally looking for a SXSR or GSR (at the time). Thought the quad bench was the way to go for people and socializing. We (and kids) saw the Swingback, and that was it. Went that way with our order, and have been so satisfied ever since.

We have a 200HP Mercury Verado Pro. Max for our normal SPS hull. Love the motor and it serves us very well. We do a ton of watersports, and the 200HP gets the job done regardless of crew on board. And like JCR, (and after adding Sea Legs in 2019 to our boat) I wish I had a little more, and in hind sight wish I had went with the SPS+ and 250 like him, but for teens and adults, large groups, and watersports, I am very satisfied with the 200. I would not be as satisfied with so many adult bodies and water sport with less.

My input would be to try to get an LSB with the 200. The LSR will be a GREAT boat. But is it the right boat for your family? The LSB will be nicer than a SSB, and the 200 HP will be much more future proof with young adult kids, family, friends and water sports. It will also give you more flexibility on larger bodies of water.

Finally, keeping your girls happy and thrilled will pay off over time. That excitement of theirs will likely translate more into them wanting to continue to boat with you and their friends vs slowly wanting to do other things with their friends at those ages.

Personally, I would not compromise as this is likely long term commitment in ownership, and they are so expensive. Get what is preferred, even if you have to order and wait. It will be worth it. FWIW, we looked the second half of 2016 (summer through fall). Ended up putting in an order over the winter so as to insure we got exactly what we wanted (and could afford). Delay and wait stunk! End result was 100% worth it.

Last edited:
I understand that there may be some deals on the 2023's right now . But,depending where you live the boating season might not have much left. Have you considered ordering a 2024 and getting exactly what you want ?

I understand that there may be some deals on the 2023's right now . But,depending where you live the boating season might not have much left. Have you considered ordering a 2024 and getting exactly what you want ?
This would be my advise unless the OP’s dealership is able to snag them theri desired 2023 2023 right now (which it doesn’t sound like).

Just a word of warning if you do decide to order . The members on the forum ( including mods) are very good at spending other people's money .

Excellent comments above! We also LOVE our SB! Kids love it for sunning, socializing and playing cards, the wife and I love it for watching sunsets or the stars or for naps. The SB Plus (in 2021) added the speakers and fold flat layout, making it a longer space for tall people and increasing storage. The Co-Captain layout is, per the wife, a MUST HAVE. WE love our LED everything lights, but we only use a few times per season and a good place to save dollars. If you expect to go out at night regularly, maybe opt for just the side lights. I was talked into the LX / ESP / 350 - it was a huge stretch - but will never need another boat - and no regrets (first boat last). I did NOT get the elevated helm, instead the bolster seat - I am in the minority here but like the level flooring (but at 5'11", no issues seeing over passengers when sitting on the Bolster). The larger fuel tank, for us, was critical - on long hauls it is easy to burn through the 50 gallons. Dealer is Critical - do your homework - ideally pick one that is well rated and will make repairs - I have had something every year. Power Steering is also critical, so much easier to drive. The Double Bimini is critical for us - but our lake is typically 110 plus, and the cable stays allow us to WOT without an issue.

Guilty as charged JCR! :D

In all seriousness though, and we do tend to recommend a lot of “up charge” options around here, it is usually due to our experiences with certain features and how much we like them. I know that many in here steered us in a much more expensive direction in 2016-17 when we were boat shopping. That said though, I would say that those recommendations were about 90+% accurate and good for us and I am glad I went with most of them - at least the ones we could afford. ;)

these are exactly the discussions my wife and I are having, awesome group of people here! we are thinkng of ordering. originally we did not go in wanting a bigger pontoon, I was under the impression that pontoons were still inland lake put around machines. They had a 23 LSR on the floor at a price that got me thinking about pontoons a little different, and that possibly this significantly more pricey boat was also signifocantly more capable.

be that as it may, the wife had intentions of scooping up an end of the season deal. As things progress who knows now.

She and the Girls are really huge fans of an SXSB we went and looked at, which prompted this discussion here.

Thank you all for the input, it is so concise and on point, and not full of ancedotal junk as is often found in the cyber community.

these are exactly the discussions my wife and I are having, awesome group of people here! we are thinkng of ordering. originally we did not go in wanting a bigger pontoon, I was under the impression that pontoons were still inland lake put around machines. They had a 23 LSR on the floor at a price that got me thinking about pontoons a little different, and that possibly this significantly more pricey boat was also signifocantly more capable.

be that as it may, the wife had intentions of scooping up an end of the season deal. As things progress who knows now.

She and the Girls are really huge fans of an SXSB we went and looked at, which prompted this discussion here.

Thank you all for the input, it is so concise and on point, and not full of ancedotal junk as is often found in the cyber community.

Lol, hang around a bit longer... We have that too... #sandbags :p

Guilty as charged JCR! :D

In all seriousness though, and we do tend to recommend a lot of “up charge” options around here, it is usually due to our experiences with certain features and how much we like them. I know that many in here steered us in a much more expensive direction in 2016-17 when we were boat shopping. That said though, I would say that those recommendations were about 90+% accurate and good for us and I am glad I went with most of them - at least the ones we could afford. ;)
I'm also guilty, but past mistakes when ordering is my problem. For example not maximizing the HP to the toon configuration. If they ever bring back Crimson Red I'm in trouble.

Just spoke with the dealership I bought my Chap from years ago. they has an SXSB and LSB. The LSB has a longer center toon. He said that it is probably a bit more stable in the water. LSB also came with a 200 Yamaha. Looks like Saturday morning I will be able to compare them side by side. To make thinks a bit more muddy, he said the SX has a bit less drag in the water so they can pair them with 150s and the SX with a yamaha SHO moves out pretty good!

Just spoke with the dealership I bought my Chap from years ago. they has an SXSB and LSB. The LSB has a longer center toon. He said that it is probably a bit more stable in the water. LSB also came with a 200 Yamaha. Looks like Saturday morning I will be able to compare them side by side. To make thinks a bit more muddy, he said the SX has a bit less drag in the water so they can pair them with 150s and the SX with a yamaha SHO moves out pretty good!
Find out which specific “hull” configuration each of them has. If you have questions about them, just come back here. Many of us know them VERY well. If Tritoons: Bennington has a few different FULL tritoon hulls (SPS, SPS+, and ESP), and a 3/4 length center express pontoon package hull (IMHO, don’t get that last one).

Last edited:
I agree, don't get the 3/4 length center toon. It is called an express package. Go with the sps, sps+, or esp package

Back