S SERIES VS L SERIES vs all others, deck construction

I had the express toon setup. Bought my 2012 RL with the 2 toons. After a couple of years added the Express toon and underskinned. Definitely improved performance and comfort of the ride, glad I did it and worth the investment. However IMO it is a great after market product but if I was buying new I would not consider the express and would suggest SPS as it really out performs the express and is worth the extra $

Frankly, I don’t ever recall reading that someone loved their express toon setup, but many have posted about their frustrations. I’m actually surprised that Bennington continues to offer the option, based upon what I’ve read here.

Frankly, I don’t ever recall reading that someone loved their express toon setup, but many have posted about their frustrations. I’m actually surprised that Bennington continues to offer the option, based upon what I’ve read here.
To be fair, the express tube does meet the needs for folks on a budget who want more front passenger buoyancy and do not need the performance enhancements provided by the full center tube. The 'cocktail' cruisers.

It kind of goes back to what I think is a nice asset for Bennington marine: the options and flexibility across model lines for most owners.

Even a more unpopular options will fit some niche wants/needs by someone - and Bennington often has that option.

Yes, to be fair, the express toon probably does work for some folks who who mainly putz around. However, the OP suggested that he has daughters, who likely will want to indulge in water sports at some point. After all, a bargain is only a bargain if it truly meets your needs. Given the cost involved here, I’d strongly recommend a test drive.

I wish I could go for a ride on each very badly. The current dealer has been very accomodating, but the LSR is so new it is still being assembled. They sell the boats and mottors rigged seperately, so really I cannot expect aea trials on the exact boats I am looking at, I get that. Would be nice if they had examples.

First post here. I just bought a new 23 LSB, set up with the Merc 225 and DTS. You won't be disappointed! Only 26 hours so far, so don't know all of the particulars, but here's my take.

The boat handles great under all conditions. The digital throttle -DTS - option sets the trim automatically, increases rpm when making a turn so you maintain speed, and the docking function reduces rpm range for close quarters maneuvers and makes docking easier. With the Sea Star steering system, this barge handles almost like my ski boat. Performance wise, we operate in an alpine environment at 9100 feet, so I don't have full horsepower, but it will do 40 mph on flat water.

I was a bit nervous about the swingback, as I though the footprint was too big, but now believe it works very well. Our normal crew is 6 adults, and even with the table set up you can seat 4 around the table for a cocktail cruise.

Don't know where you are located, but here is a plug for the dealer. I purchased this boat from White's Marine in Pittsburg, MO. Great guys to work with, made everything easy, and price was better than anything I could find in Denver metro area. Well worth the long distance trailer haul.

If I remember right @DAVECS1, didn't you mention boating occasionally on the Great Lakes? or bigger lakes where wave/wind conditions would be a factor? I mix up threads sometimes, lol. If so, I wouldn't EVER operate an express package on water that can get rough enough you need to check the marine forecast. I've never operated the express package, full disclosure. But operating in the Gulf around Cape Coral and Sanibel on a Hurricane deck boat was enough that I wouldn't take it outside the protection of the intracoastal waters. getting into open water was rough for passengers and had me working throttle and trim a lot. And that hull is considerably better than the express package is at handling rough conditions. Ever since, I won't touch the ocean without something with a deeper v-hull, or Sea Ray cruiser... But its about knowing your limits, comfort level, etc. I'm operating on a series of lakes that are primarily no wake... but for watersports, I wouldn't have it any other way than the sps+....

I like to spend on things that can't really be changed down the line. but creature comforts are very, very nice!

2 years ago dealers had nothing in stock . Many had to order site unseen . I was fortunate enough to be able to attend the dealer showcase to see what I planned on ordering before placing the order.

we do Door County a few times a year (Green Bay, Lake Michigan). My wife and I discussed not buying a boat around the most extreme singular case we have ever encountered, and then all the girls "piped up, and said dad can pilot anything" proud dad moment. At any rate we want a long term boat as we are getting a bit older and really do not want to play musical boats at this stage. so I get the SPS discussion here. Usage is going to be a big factor as everyone is busy but this seems to be a priority. so do we invest in the extra with limited usage being an issue, or do we hold.back a bit and work with what we got? Hard questions, I just want a beer on a bennington sun lounge, in the sun lol

…I just want a beer on a bennington sun lounge, in the sun lol
Great news! You can accomplish this with joy no matter what decision and boat you buy. ;)

I will share that making our final decision(s) for our boat in 2016-17 was one of the hardest and most stressful purchases I’ve ever made. Much more gut wrenching than homes and autos over the years. Lots of money. Only so many hours per year is it going to get used. So many options. So much $$$$ for every little change.

My wife and I had a tough time pulling the trigger on deposit and our order. We ended up an easy $20k above what we went in thinking we would spend. That was tough to do for something like this. We ended up leaning into trying to get our last boat first, and cover our current and future boating wants/needs. I think we pretty much did it. I would switch a few options around these days after spending our last 8 years with our boat. But that said, our rig works great for us.

The stress stayed with us until our first few outings with the boat. Since then, we have not had a single regret in what we spent other than wanting 1-2 more things and wishing we had pushed $8k higher for SPS+ and a 250 Mercury Verado Pro.

Not saying go all in. Just saying, cover as much of your current and future usage wants and needs now. Otherwise, you will end up spending even more down the road to accomplish what you want. Not an easy decision at all.

we went in with the mind set we were gonna get what we thought was a conventional pontoon. 90hp would be more than adequate, and the splurge would be a Bennington. We were not aware, what pontoons had become. Now we are into financing and trying to determine what a reasonable investment would be. Such a slippery slope.

I hear you there. A slippery slope indeed. Brings back memories of fall - winter 2016-17…lol. Best of luck in making those choices.

dont want to get to excited yet, but I am impressed, the dealer is pulling out all the stops to see if we can get the budget to fit the LSB. It is really close. After all the curfuffle, should get a dang enclosure for it and sail the seven seas lol!

Tell the dealer you want to wait and order a 24 .( past experience)

I have the Express Package with a 115hp Yamaha. For my needs it is great. We boat on a small 1,500 acre lake. However, if I was on larger water I would definitely go with the full tri-toon with a 200+ motor. Listen to all the members on this forum. They offer great advice. Not that I know a lot about boating, but I’ve learned quite a bit in my 3 years of ownership. I’ve enjoyed all of it. The Bennington dealer experience has been great for me also. I get mine serviced at a different dealer than I purchased it. I purchased it 8 hours away. They are just as nice as if I purchased it from them. I hope it all works out for you and the family. You all will enjoy it.

why would I do that? This LSB has more than I wanted and I can almost guarantee, it will be less than anything ordered.

I have an sps hull and a Yamaha 200 and have taken it off shore in the Atlantic. I would never do that with express package.

Attachments

• 3AE55765-B649-4747-BF66-55C3F18C1611.jpeg
    3AE55765-B649-4747-BF66-55C3F18C1611.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 8518F9A4-821B-45CA-B504-CAFCD4943928.jpeg
    8518F9A4-821B-45CA-B504-CAFCD4943928.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 525E1B8B-3B72-4021-B27F-A438F420650F.jpeg
    525E1B8B-3B72-4021-B27F-A438F420650F.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 17
Exciting. What are the deets on the LSB? Fingers crossed for you finding the right boat and deal.

Back