Sharkhide application from Bennington and 7 year warranty

Good question, answer is no. We cannot control the re-application process, which is necessary during the life of the product. Please refer to the Sharkhide website for further information!

learn about Sharkhide here

I have another question. How can I or the dealer confirm upon delivery that the Sharkhide was actually applied by Bennington?

I think it's done by the dealer.

I asked at the factory while they were debating that question, but last I heard it's being done at the factory. The issue is having a warm non windy place year round to spray and/or coat it.

But does it change the way the tubes looks or feels so I can visually check to make sure they have been treated? I'm not implying they would intentionally not apply it, but mistakes can be made and just need someway to make sure it was done.

I'm pretty sure you can tell, from what I've seen it looks almost like a matte or dull finish on the aluminum, not real shiny.

I'm pretty sure you would be able to tell the difference.

You definitely want to make sure there are no scuffs or scrapes in the coating, as they would need touched up ASAP.

Last edited by a moderator:
When we apply Sharkhide at the factory, only a trained eye can tell that it has been applied. It has almost no affect on the look of the tube. (Although the "rainbow" effect" may be more apparent in direct sunlight?) TB

Does anyone who has Sharkskin have any comments on how well it works?

Does anyone who has Sharkskin have any comments on how well it works?
I had them apply mine at the factory on my boat that just arrived. I'm not sure how many seasons it will last, but you do have to watch any abrasion, such as side guides on a lift, bumpers, trailer guides, etc as it rubs off with enough pressure.

Best thing since sliced bread! It will rub through but can be touched up. Automotive grade lacquer thinner will take it off very easily. I polished my tubes and did not put Shark Hyde on it because I didn't want to dull it any....BIG mistake. Caused me a lot of work re-buffing and if it had been treated it would have kept the 90% shine for years. Steve

When we apply Sharkhide at the factory, only a trained eye can tell that it has been applied. It has almost no affect on the look of the tube. (Although the "rainbow" effect" may be more apparent in direct sunlight?) TB
Is that applied to all your pontoons or is it an option?

Option. I believe it's on the "boat builder".

Definitely worth every penny. Last year was my first with my Bennington. Dealer applied Sharkhide and my boat sits in the water all summer. Can't say I worked hard at cleaning my toons, an occasional wipe down maybe once a month and when my boat came out at the end of the season the toons still looked pretty new. We then used a very heavy duty cleaner which may have been acid so now I am wondering do I apply again this year

Link, if you acid washed the tubes then yes, you'll have to reapply.

Thanks Carl, will do

There's a good question...I too ordered the Sharkskin protectant and my boat will be in the water until I decide what to do about a lift. At the end of the season, how should I go about cleaning up the pontoons without compromising the Sharkskin? Would a good plan be to do as stated above, wipe them down occasionally with a mild detergent throughout the season and then a gentle power-washing at the end? Btw, it's nice to be able to dwell on these topics during the Winter doldrums. I'm sure our attention will be elsewhere and these matters will seem silly soon.

Back