Sharkhide vs. Gord's

keithkz

Reaction score
Ok I know there is another post here about Sharkhide and everything but which is better...that or Gord's aluminum polish? I actually purchased the Gord's last summer along with a variable speed buffer like he suggests...just didn't have time to use it. My local dealer wants $1000 to put that Sharkhide on my tri-toon. Not gonna happen. What exactly is the step process I should be doing here? I do not have any grime/algae on my toons but they really look like crap; very dull with streaks. Is there a cleaner I should use first (which one?) before I use my Gord's? After I use the Gord's should I also apply the Sharskin Polish or perhaps just use the Sharkskin Sealer?

How many seasons is this going to last?

I want to get this all done before I put my boat in the water so your advice here is greatly appreciated. I love my boat and the rest of it is in incredibly great shape given it's a 2005 but the toons themselves are absolutely ugly.

Thank you.

If you're going to polish the toons, you're going to have to clean them first. You need an acid based cleaner and the cheapest is "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner. You can get it at the Dollar store. They will come out clean and dull and then you'll have to polish and then the Sharkhide protectant. It's a lot of work. If you have a truckstop nearby, there are guys that polish the aluminum on big rigs for a living.

Thanks. Yeah I use that same toilet cleaner on my toilets and also to clean the bottom/fiberglass on my ski boat and jet skis when I pull them out in the Fall. Stuff works awesome for that. Never thought about using it on aluminum. What...just put on some rubber gloves and wipe it on with a sponge...let it sit for like 15 minutes and then hose it off? That's what I do on my other boat.

Either wipe it on or use a spray bottle (and a mask). It'll bubble a bit then hose it off real well. Make sure you don't get it on the anodized stuff.

Oh and make sure you read on Sharkhide about after you polish the toons, you're supposed to wipe them down with something, can't remember if it was lacquer thinner or something like that.

You are correct Derrick. Lacquer thinner it is.

We acid washed Zodapop '08 Q this year and then put on the sharkhyde. I'll try to text him and get him to post a pic.Most boats that have a water line that you can see will still have it slightly visible after this is done. Steve

Keith, they are also two different products. Sharkhyde is to preserve whatever finish you have before application. Gord's will get you there. Steve

I'm having a new 22SLX built. Should I Sharkhide at the factory? Boat will be in Lake Wisconsin.

Thanks again everyone.

Just to be clear. ...

The Works toilet cleaner (on dry pontoons?) followed by Gord's (since I already have that) followed by lacquer finish followed by Sharkhide protectant (not the polisher)?

I'm having a new 22SLX built. Should I Sharkhide at the factory? Boat will be in Lake Wisconsin.
Yes, do the Sharkhide.

Thanks again everyone.

Just to be clear. ...

The Works toilet cleaner (on dry pontoons?) followed by Gord's (since I already have that) followed by lacquer finish followed by Sharkhide protectant (not the polisher)?
I would hose the tubes down first with water and then the "Works. You can always do it twice.Then polish, then clean with lacquer thinner to get rid of the black residue (get lots of towels) and then the protectant when it's completely dry.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a good video on Sharkhide's web site that goes over the application and goes into how to treat the toons. We are going to do ours as soon as we get delivery but it is new so no prep necessary.

So using the lacquer thinner doesn't remove the shine from the polish does it? It just removes any of the extra residue from the polisher that's needed before you apply the protectant?

Again, I am going to use Grod's polisher since I already have that. Then I will apply the Sharkhide Metal protectant.

Thanks again to everyone for your great help!

It doesn't remove the shine, it does remove the stuff you don't under the sharkhide.

Is it the same for Gord's? Again, I'm using Gord's polisher.....not Sharkhide.

It's the same for any polish you choose to use. You have to get all the polish residue off before the Sharkhide is applied. Go to the Sharkhide website for all their info. If you call them, ask for Clint. He's the master of toon polishing.

Yeah I've already been to their website several times and watched all the videos.

Ok I'll try this out and see how it looks. I sure hope it comes out nicely because I can tell this is going to take several hours of work. If I hadn't already purchased the Gord's I would buy the Sharkhide polisher but I will certainly buy their metal protectant.

Maynard is correct, it's no easy job especially if you.ve never polished aluminum before. It gets real dirty so buy some nitrile gloves too.

Yes ,you should still be able to add it to your order .

My thinking was better coverage before it is assembled .

Back