Sharkhide vs. Gord's

I believe they put it on after the boat is built.

Keith, check out my gallery for after polishing pics. After two summers I wished I would have sharkhyded it first, even though it kills the shine a very small amount. Steve

Meaning, you wished you would have rather used the Sharkhide polisher vs. Gord's?....or that you wish you would have used Sharkhide metal protectant after polishing it? Which polisher did you use?

Keith,

Check out my pics after polishing with Gords. I used to have a thread with embedded pics on this site.

After a full season last year, the shine above the water line looks like new, below, not as pretty. I should have applied SH after polishing. No way I'll go through that process again!

**update - here's the link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again.....meaning, you should have applied Sharkhide Metal Protectant, or THEIR polisher? I'm guessing the protectant.

He's saying AFTER he polished them, he should have put on SH (Sharkhide) to retain the shine.

How much of that Gord's is enough to do my 25' tritoon? I have 2 of their 32oz bottles. Is that enough?

Keith,

I would guess that your boat would take 3-4 bottles to do all sides. I paid to have mine done the first time. Before my move, I called the guy who did them and he moved to AZ. I tried to do them myself and it was a major p.i.t.a! I used two bottles on the outside of my toons alone. My job is noticably different than the pro's and I'm sure I used much more than was needed.

I just called and spoke to Gord himself. He said 3 of the 32oz bottles whould be enough so I just bought the 4rd one since I already have the 2 I bought last summer.

lol. Days, not hours.
lol I second that, when I did my 2007 22 footer I did the outsides back and front of all 3 tubes and I had about 24 hours into just the polishing working like a dog at that too, not the sharkhyde application which I had a local dealer do for 200 bucks as they lift it off the trailer and get the whole tube covered better that way. Definatley do it with a random orbital, I did mine with a standard rotary and had swirl marks that were noticeable to me but not to others and I didn't use anything to clean the residue off good enough before the sharkhyde application which left some marks too. All in all it still turned out nice.I used meguires aluminum polish and it took about 5-6 of the 16 ounce bottles.

I'm trying to figure out how I am going to jack the boat off of the trailer in segments so I can get at the lower portion of the toons. Anyone have any suggestions where/how to do that?

I'm trying to figure out how I am going to jack the boat off of the trailer in segments so I can get at the lower portion of the toons. Anyone have any suggestions where/how to do that?
Don't bother. Nobody will see it and the trailer bunks will remove the Sharkhide in that area so it will oxidize anyway. Whatever areas you can't get to it with a buffer or by hand don't matter.

Ok one more question on this.......how long do I wait after I am done polishing my toons before I wipe them down with laquer thinner?

I wiped them down once in the afternoon when I was done polishing and then again the next morning before the Sharkhide was applied.

Well I did the outside of the port pontoon today with the Gord's and then later wiped it down with lacquer thinner. It's definitely more shiny but nothing like some of you guys get yours to look. However, my toons have some scratches and swirls in them when I bought this boat two years ago so it's quite possible this is the best I can get them to look. Maybe I didn't prep them well enough either although I did use The Works toilet bowl cleaner on them first. I'm wondering if I REALLY need to put that Sharkhide Metal Protectant on them since I don't exactly have a mirror shine?

If you don't, they'll go back to the way they looked before you started.

Keith, however good you get it, if you want to keep it that way, put the sharkhyde on. Some tubes will just not shine(ask Zodapop) and you can look in my gallery at mine, they shine....BUT....wished I would have put SH on them. Steve

Yeah the Sharkhide arrived yesterday so I will for sure put that on.

I am trying to figure out how much of the Sharkhide Metal Polish and Sharkhide Metal Protectant I'm going to need on my 22' RCW. Will I need to get 4 - 32 oz. of each?

Back