JaccFrost

Reaction score
So, yet another post from me. I am hoping to resolve this issue on my own if possible. Not sure if warranty covers this either. I just "un-packaged" my boat from storing it over the winter (in my yard). I was going through it, spring cleaning, trying to figure out where to put my fish finder, and a general look over of everything. That is when I noticed my issue.

I pushed the throttle handle forward, seemed stiff but moved and travels completely forward. Moves back to Neutral just fine, but does NOT move into reverse. I don't want to force it, especially since it has never been like that.

I bought this boat brand new last year (though a 2014 model discounted to clear inventory the dealer had).

2014 Bennington 21 SLX / 60 hp Mercury outboard 

(I did add a picture, though not real clear shot of my throttle  / gear shifter, but I am sure all of you have an idea of what these look like.)

I admit, I am pretty concerned about this and hoping it is a simple and easy fix. All was well when we stored the boat at the end of the season and now, well...you know now.

Helm (Captain's Chair).jpg

Was the boat running? I'm sure it will be fine when you run it. Put it in muffs and fire it up. Shift into forward and reverse without giving it throttle.

Was the boat running? I'm sure it will be fine when you run it. Put it in muffs and fire it up. Shift into forward and reverse without giving it throttle.
The boat was not running, but the shifter has always moved smoothly.

Are muffs actually required if my motor has a hookup for a hose? I think that is suppose to negate the hose. I apologize in advance, first boat, first everything related to boating.

I agree with Andy, I don't think mine shifts well consistently without the motor running.

You shouldn't need the muffs as long as you hook up the hose.  Make sure water comes out the "tell tale" once the motor starts.

Be sure to the hose (and everything else) away from the prop if you do shift it while running.

Although I have moved the shifter while not running, I think the manual says not to go into reverse while the motor isn't running.  Don't quote me on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Andy, I don't think mine shifts well consistently without the motor running.

You shouldn't need the muffs as long as you hook up the hose.  Make sure water comes out the "tell tale" once the motor starts.

Be sure to the hose (and everything else) away from the prop if you do shift it while running.

Although I have moved the shifter while not running, I think the manual says not to go into reverse while the motor isn't running.  Don't quote me on that.
I will try it out tomorrow in the daylight. I haven't seen anything in the manual about not shifting when off, but then again, I just quickly scanned and really didn't see much any the shifter anywhere. But if that's the case, wish I had known sooner, but I feel like it has shifted into reverse before when off.

Still, I will fire it up tomorrow and see what happens.

When running the motor on land I would never use the hose hook up. The hose hook up is for flushing the motor only after use to remove sediment etc. Muffs are an absolute must as the water impeller will spin dry suffering damage not to mention potential damage to other components. Best check your manual on this one.

I agree. My motor hose hookup is for flushing only. It requires muffs to run out of water. Was your engine in down position. In up position it's possible the cables are binding enough to not allow it to go to reverse. As stated, it may also need to be running. Other than that, it should be warranty. I bought a leftover also, and I got a full warranty with mine.

You need to use muffs. And..........you should have the motor running when trying to shift it.

I agree with the muffs, they are a must when running out of the water. An impeller can be damaged in a very short time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think you can have a helper turn the prop by hand while you work the shifter, making sure the keys are out of the ignition of course.

My hose adapter on my Yamaha is for fresh water flushing only while the motor is NOT running. Muffs required as stated above when running.

Alright friends, I bought muffs today and furred the young girl up. Like you guys mentioned, shifts fine when it's running. I was worried about nothing. Thanks for the help and happy boating.

Oh crap!!!

The section on flushing in my manual doesn't saying anything about not running the engine using the garden hose attachment...  It's silent on it since there's no reason to run the motor to flush it out.  But, it doesn't warn you against running the engine either.  I can't find any warnings anywhere in the manual...

I know I had this question a couple years ago, but I thought I found somewhere that it wasn't a problem, at least for my motor anyway.  I just looked online and found tons of warnings not to do this with other motors and other brands (like everyone has said above), but I can't find anything on my Merc 150 Fourstroke specifically. 

Glad this topic came up!

By the way, I did run across the statement not to shift into reverse without the motor running, if anyone cares.

Oh crap!!!

The section on flushing in my manual doesn't saying anything about not running the engine using the garden hose attachment...  It's silent on it since there's no reason to run the motor to flush it out.  But, it doesn't warn you against running the engine either.  I can't find any warnings anywhere in the manual...

I know I had this question a couple years ago, but I thought I found somewhere that it wasn't a problem, at least for my motor anyway.  I just looked online and found tons of warnings not to do this with other motors and other brands (like everyone has said above), but I can't find anything on my the Merc 150 Fourstroke specifically. 

Glad this topic came up!

By the way, I did run across the statement not to shift into reverse without the motor running, if anyone cares.
Perhaps they changed it on the 150, which is a relatively new design, for convenience. On the Verado, you MUST use muffs to run the engine. The hose port is for flushing only, engine off.

When running the motor on land I would never use the hose hook up. The hose hook up is for flushing the motor only after use to remove sediment etc. Muffs are an absolute must as the water impeller will spin dry suffering damage not to mention potential damage to other components. Best check your manual on this one.
Totally agree! DO NOT RUN YOUR MOTOR IF YOU ARE USING THE HOSE FITTING! You will overheat your motor. When in doubt read your owners manual for the motor!

My manual says in order to sufficiently flush the engine to hook up hose to the port and run for a min of 5 minutes so the thermostat will open and complete a full flush. Always only at idle.

With that said though, when I checked my (non-existing) shifting issue I still used muffs. Only ran it long enough to check that it did indeed shift as it is suppose to. As stated in a previous post, all is well.

I got an email from the Mercury factory today saying you can run the motor using the flush port for 3-5 minutes.

I've done this at least 5 times now (three winterizations, and two spring startups) with no overheating or other issues.  Pretty sure one time I ran it like that for ~15-20 minutes.  Must be the new engine design.  I found no warning in the manual saying NOT to do this. 

Coming up on three years mid summer anyway, which is time to replace the impeller.  I'll make sure they give me the old one.

Back