Spiders and their webS

JasonLepore

Reaction score
Just unwrapped my Benny and there were a ton of spiders and webs,,,I also get them when they are in the water,,,,,any tips to keep spiders and their webs away. ? And yes I already spray bug stuff,,,,,

Dryer sheets all around the furniture.

Hell, I will get a Dryer Sheet Boat Cover if it works.... So Not a bug person,,,,especially spiders and their webs,,,,, Ever Wonder how we turn into Ninjas when we walk onto a Spider web,,,, I have some serious karate chops when I go through one.... I will try the sheets,,, I did have a few, but not a lot.....

3rd on the sheets. We keep them in seats year round. Only place we don't is Bimini, n guess where the spiders are !!!

That's funny, I put dryer sheets all over the boat during winter storage, and until Semper's post I hadn't thought about it, but I had no spider webs anywhere, except in the bimini!

Guess where dryer sheets are going next winter...

Dryer sheets are very effective against mice as well. I keep the in several collector cars and they work great.

Wow I had no idea dry sheets worked for spiders! I have lived on a lake almost my entire life so I know if you live on the water, you have spiders...even on/in your house. I will for sure be placing them under my seats on the boat.

I'd never heard this either. So do you just lay them on the floor, tape them to the walls, or what? One sheet in each compartment?

Yeah I think just put one under each seat area....maybe one under the helm as well. I'll probably place one inside each of the three garbage areas too. Pretty cheap and easy if really that effective.

My spider problems seem to come from above, from the roof of my boathouse. I don't think the dryer sheets would apply in this instance. I get black, tar looking spots on the furniture. 303 does the trick, but sometimes it takes some elbow grease. I checked with a local pest company and his concern was with their pesticides over the water. (i.e liability) He had his suppliers look into something called Webout. It is supposed to be more environmentally compatible. Recommended around buildings, schools, sheds, docks, marinas, boats, etc. Going to apply it in the next day or so and see what happens. Gerry

Last edited by a moderator:
My boathouse ceiling spiders droppings are the head of a pin, but they're staining my vinyl. 303 vinyl protectant is not helping. My approach is:

1. Covering my seats underneath the steel cross members spiders are living on.

2. Spraying the cross members with Suspend SC, a poison with a powder/water base that stays where it's sprayed.

When I ever need to get rid of any pest, I read BugSpray.com to learn how to rid myself of any bug or critter. They sell all the professional pesticides, chemicals and traps, and they're the largest seller of termicide in the U.S.

See: http://www.bugspray.com/articles98/spiders.html#spider-control-for-outside-the-home

Bamaman, how about an update on yours. I am ready to do something. Would like to pull my boat out and spray the roof above and hope it runs them to my neighbors. Steve

DO NOT USE THEM IF WET THOUGH, they will mildew and anything they are against will also get the mildew stains.

Here in Florida we use dampened dryer sheets to remove the pesky love bugs that end up plastered all over our cars in April/May and Aug/Sept. If you don't remove the love bug remains within 24 hours it will eat through the paint on your car.

Dryer sheets are also good for those pesky sand fleas or no-see-ums as we call them in Florida.

Another use for dryer seats is to take them with you when you stay in a hotel. Tuck the dryer sheets between the mattress and box spring. Bed bugs will not cross that line. Makes you really wonder what we are using to soften our clothes with!

Bamaman, how about an update on yours. I am ready to do something. Would like to pull my boat out and spray the roof above and hope it runs them to my neighbors. Steve
My ceiling is white painted plywood sitting on top of the channel steel framing. I've been too busy tearing down walls inside my house to deal with spraying. I'm flying in from New Hampshire tomorrow, and plan to get the sprayer loaded and get spraying. I don't take the boat out of the boathouse, as the Suspend SC spray is not staining.

Unfortunately, spiders is a constant in lake houses and boathouses. You'll never get rid of them. Best thing anyone can do is to take those round spider brushes on the long handles and constantly tear down the spider webs. It just takes a moment.

Now, I've also got a water moccasin to deal with. I killed his brother last year, but my daughter sent me a picture today of another snake hanging around the boathouse.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're going to spray, use Viper. You can probably find it at a Co-op. Spray once in the spring and may last all warm season.

Back