Spring has Arrived in Northern Michigan ( According to the Calendar )

I have a brand new 2hp sprinkler pump to pull from the lake but haven't installed the whole system yet. Maybe I should start a thread when I get closer to see what everyone does.

Just went home on my lunch hour (you know....because I can.....) and washed my bimini and boot covers off in the lawn and left them there to dry out so I can spray the 303 protectant on it.  Man it's really nice out.

Not a bad way to spend a lunch. I sat next to the river here at work and pretended I was the duck floating down it...

How did you wash them Keith? I need to do my cover and bimini boot as well.

Honestly I laid them out and got a huge bucket full of water water from the bathtub and put some Dawn in it.  Used a huge soft push brush.  However I can still see some old, dried bird dropping areas so I'll use The Works bathroom cleaner that I use on my bathtubs on those areas I guess.  My bimini cover was already off because I had an ulpostry guy replace the two stern end zippers with much larger sized teeth (like that comes on them from factory now....mine is a 2005 though) because the smaller sized ones kept separating on their own and I just kept it stored in my basement all winter.  Not looking forward to putting that thing back on.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read this:

To keep your canvas looking its best, regularly brush off any loose dirt with a soft brush and rinse with lukewarm water (100° F maximum). To clean, a solution of lukewarm water and mild natural soap such as Ivory™ may be used. Rinse thoroughly and allow to air dry. The use of detergents is not recommended as it may diminish the water repellent finish on certain fabrics and invite the growth of mildew. Never machine wash, dry clean or iron the canvas. To spot clean stubborn soil or stains, a solution of 1/4 cup mild natural soap and 1 cup of bleach per gallon of lukewarm water may be used. Mist the soiled area and clean vigorously with a sponge, soft brush or clean towel. Rinse thoroughly and allow to air dry. We also recommend the use of 303 Fabric & Vinyl Cleaner to safely remove dirt and difficult stains.

Thanks!

No problem.....and that site was specifically talking about pontoon bimini tops too.

The water levels are still not up enough to get the boat on the lift so we got the boat out of storage and spend Saturday and Sunday on a nearby lake. If felt great to be back on the water. Boat fired right up and Bennington did a great job on the off season repairs. Hopefully the rain they are calling for this week shows up. The boat is full of gas, has a fresh coat of 303 on the seats and is ready for summer.

447E09E8-DF66-48F4-B5D5-1C77AAC1B0EE_zpsmgztdhuk.jpg

EBA98060-A7D3-4B59-BCC4-9E175004FD2B_zpsl4mqxmoc.jpg

The water levels are still not up enough to get the boat on the lift so we got the boat out of storage and spend Saturday and Sunday on a nearby lake. If felt great to be back on the water. Boat fired right up and Bennington did a great job on the off season repairs. Hopefully the rain they are calling for this week shows up. The boat is full of gas, has a fresh coat of 303 on the seats and is ready for summer
Good for you!

We have the opposite problem. The dock's been in for a few weeks, and we have plenty of water, but the winds and rain have slowed down the lift installer's schedule by a couple weeks. He said maybe this Wednesday for ours, though it's raining again right now. If all goes well we'll have her in the water by the weekend.

I must be the last person to hit the water, our docks aren't going in till May 16. Well, except for Bulldog

Hopefully they get it set up soon Tom. I could see winds being a problem but rain.....they know it is going in a lake right :rolleyes:

And Derrick is probably still out ice fishing...in his shorts of course.

Because of high water, the docks don't go in till May 16

Remediation, are you on a natural lake or a man made one like I am?

It's man-made.  To control flooding of Nashville from the Cumberland river.  They have lowered the lake 7' in the last 2 weeks.  The parking lot for the docks was underwater in April. 

Ours was man made to control the Hudson River flooding in the Albany area. An authority oversees the depth, their is a differential of 20+ feet between the low and the high in a given year.  It can make for some dangerous boating as they drop the water in the late fall as their are rock walls and even stone churches still underwater.  After knocking a few props the first year I have learned.  It is also a blessing as their is virtually no milfoil in the lake as any vegetation that has even started dies off when the water drops below it and then the freezing winter finishes it off.  Here is the USGS chart for 2014:

i doubt I get mine in my slip by The end of May. But, with the 3" of rain last night that could change quickly. Our lake is also flood control, in front of the bar (where my slip is) over the weekend boats were getting stuck in the 2 ft waters. My lift is as of Sunday was unusable as it is resting on the lake bottom in about 1 ft of water.

I still have a 10 day wait .9:00 am 5/15/15

Back