Stain and Vinyl lifting

Link

Reaction score
On my new 2012 RL I have a brown stain that is below the gas cap and has lifted the vinyl away from the plywood. I have seen the posts on splash back when filling prior to getting my boat and was concerned and extra carefull the first time I put gas in it and it went in with no problem at all. Due to the fact that the stain is below the gas cap I would suspect that but I have only put gas in my boat twice but did not spill or splashback either time.

Does anyone else have this problem or would offer any insight. I have contacted Bennington and sent my dealer an email this morning but he is an hour away from the boat

Any word from the dealer or Bennington yet?

I would think the vinyl should hold up to a little gas spill if it was cleaned off within a reasonable amount of time, but if it was left on there, i could see it attacking the vinyl.

Let us know how it works out for you!

I will, my dealer has asked me to send him and Bennington pictures which I will take this coming weekend when I go to the lake

I am pleased to tell everyone that after sending pictures to Bennington they are going to cover this under the warranty. Thank you Bennington, glad I did my research prior to even looking at my first pontoon.

Also note that today Wild and Free just put a link in to the JD Powers article that showed Bennington was the Number 1 manufacturer in the pontoon division; this is part of the reason why. If any of you are browsing the forum to help decide which pontoon manufacturer to choose please read this and choose wisely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting the end of that story Link. I'm glad to hear you're being taken care of.

Stories like yours on this site was a big factor in why I bought a Bennington (life gives me enough hassles), but even more importantly, that is why I will by another one someday!

My only problem has been with the speed in which my filler neck will take gasoline. I think it took about 15 minutes to get 10 gallons in with 5 gallon jerry cans. Fuel was coming out the filler neck. Refueling was not a pleasant experience in my boathouse.

I went to Tractor Supply today and got a galvanized funnel with a long metal crinkle pipe filler neck. Hopefully it'll take fuel faster and keep it from overflowing.

The two times I got gas when my boat was on the trailer, I almost needed a 6' step ladder. It takes a tall person to refill one on a bunk style trailer.

My only problem has been with the speed in which my filler neck will take gasoline. I think it took about 15 minutes to get 10 gallons in with 5 gallon jerry cans. Fuel was coming out the filler neck. Refueling was not a pleasant experience in my boathouse.

I went to Tractor Supply today and got a galvanized funnel with a long metal crinkle pipe filler neck. Hopefully it'll take fuel faster and keep it from overflowing.

The two times I got gas when my boat was on the trailer, I almost needed a 6' step ladder. It takes a tall person to refill one on a bunk style trailer.
Check the vent hose (and filler). There has been discussion that if there is a droop in the hose, it can cause this. Like a trap on a sink drain.

Smitty

Back