Storage options

Iraq 69

Reaction score
Hey All,

Waiting for our new pontoon, I realized that it will be too tall to fit into our garage with an 8' tall door. I don't want to store off site and don't want to buy a metal car port. I can only think of building a wood carport type storage. What have some of you done or do you have other ideas? We are in a pretty restrictive subdivision and they would prefer that I raise the roof on the garage so the boat will go into the existing building. Maybe add a carport onto the side or back of the garage?

Thanks for your ideas,

Marc

Sounds like a nice toon you have on order, i'm sure you will love it!

Raising the roof sounds pretty drastic and expensive, in some cases the header for the door could be raised or modified to give you a 10' or 12' high opening, but again, pretty expensive.

I think your best option would be a separate building, with some extra space for storage of your take alongs for the boat, and room to do cleaning and maint. that depends on your budget and space restrictions. 

We didn't have enough room at home for an addition, so we store it at our shop under a metal carport.

You might look at adding height. Depending on the wall height, and the exterior finish, you could move your header up as high as possible, and add panels to your existing door if it's still made. If you have 10' walls, you might get away with a 7-8" parallam or steel header on a span of probably 9-10'. What's the width of your door. The toons typically 8'6" wide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last time I had my 24SSLX at home, the trailer and the 3/4 ton crewcab tow truck were over 40' long.  And it's about 8' tall with the bimini dropped on my trailer. 

Most garage doors are 7' tall, and home garages are seldom 35' long.  Remember that your boat's length with the trailer tongue and the engine is far longer than just the boat length.

My last swim/tennis community required all boats and recreational vehicles to be out of sight.  The only neighbors with them at home lived on corner lots and stored their boats and rv's under decks covered by lattice.  Outside workshops and garage buildings were not allowed.

Any structure built to handle one of these boats has to be very, very large, as they're difficult to back into garages and carports.  Good luck!

I have our pontoon and 5th wheel sitting in our shop and its 48 x 100 and I have to use the tractor to back them in with all that room (we have the big overhead door on the short wall) and it is tight. Our 5th wheel is 36' bumper to hitch and the pontoon boat is almost as long sitting right next to it. Just be prepared to have a bigger space than you might think!

I keep mine on a lift in a slip on the lake and it has worked out well.

Jack

My last one was just over 33 1/2 feet from tip to tail. Made me laugh, we went to a boat/rv show this past Saturday and saw a camper, it was 33' long and I said to the wife,"What about this one?" she said it was too long and she wouldn't know if she would feel comfortable towing it. I laughed and asked her how long our boat and trailer were, to which she replied, "well its a 22' boat so I guess around that." she wouldn't believe me when I said it was longer than the camper we just looked at!

My last one was just over 33 1/2 feet from tip to tail. Made me laugh, we went to a boat/rv show this past Saturday and saw a camper, it was 33' long and I said to the wife,"What about this one?" she said it was too long and she wouldn't know if she would feel comfortable towing it. I laughed and asked her how long our boat and trailer were, to which she replied, "well its a 22' boat so I guess around that." she wouldn't believe me when I said it was longer than the camper we just looked at!
Give her the 50 ft tape  :eek:

We all know, she knows you can't measure ...... :)

Marc. You can stow it in my garage if you like. The drive may be a bit much though

Hey Toon'r,

Thanks for the offer....you want to break it in for me too?!?!?!?!?!?

Hey All,

My garage door is right at 8' tall. Do you think it will roll under the door?

Thanks,

Marc

Just remember that 8' door yields a bit less than that when rolled up. My 2275RCW is also 35' long on the trailer. It just takes up a lot more space on a trailer than you might think.

If its close Let some air out of the tires and it might just fit.

Seriously!!!

And I'd love to come down so we could break em in together

Or take the wheels off the trailer completely and use a couple skateboards to push it into the garage.

Just remember that 8' door yields a bit less than that when rolled up. My 2275RCW is also 35' long on the trailer. It just takes up a lot more space on a trailer than you might think.
I was wondering what the overall lenth of mine would be. It's still setting on the ground so not been able to put a tape on it. My building is a 30x40 with a 10' door so it should only take up about half.

Been working on moving stuff around to get it in.

Good so the other half should hold mine!

[

I just uploaded pix of my carport shed for the Benni, its 16 W x 35 L x 12' sides

pix are in my gallery under TAJ MAHAL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm safe, my parts would be a down grade for your boat.

Nice setup there Grizz

thanx Andy, it sure helped a bunch when we had a rare 8" of snow last week !

Back