Teen towable fun help

Dawns benny

Reaction score
I have a 2018 20 ft benny fishing pontoon with a 90hp yamaha 4 stroke. I need a towable tube that will get out of the wake to throw my teen boys off. I have an airhead slash 2 but it's very hard to get it out to the side. Tried the 4k tow booster ball and it's a dud! Does anyone have a good round tube with center hole that's like the big bertha but slightly smaller? Or another great tube? 

It's the 90 HP, not the tube.

You could try a Spitfire prop.  I noticed more acceleration on my 115, which helps crack the whip, but the 150 HP was the ultimate solution.

I have noticed MUCH less pulling resistance if the tube is blown up good and hard.  You will need a hand pump for this.  The electric pumps I have tried do not have the power to "finish" blowing them up.  I think I saw one for $7 on Amazon recently.  This is probably your cheapest "bang for the buck".  There's a LOT more drag if the tube isn't completely full of air.  Be sure to top it off after the first rider goes.  Tubes I've used tend to stretch after they get wet during the first rider for the day.  Air inside maybe cools off due to the lake water too, although I think it's more about the outer canvas stretching.

You could try a flat tube instead of one with a hole in the middle (or donut).  A donut digs into the water when you put a rider on top.  Not enough surface area for the weight of a rider.  A flat tube should have less drag.  It spreads the weight out much more, and rides higher in the water.  We like the Airhead G-Force 3.  We were given a "donut" tube several years back, and I thought the flat tube pulled MUCH better and faster.

Last thing you can try, is get the bigger flatter (no hole tube) and even if it holds 3 riders, only put one rider on it.

Thank u so much for your help, great advice!! Boat gets going really good it's in turns where it seems to bog down more than my old one. I had a 75 hp 4 stroke pontoon same size 20ft and pulled a round tube solid center no problem slinging to the side and getting speed. 

As my kids and nieces and nephews get older I find them wanting to go faster and do more sharp turns.  This, in turn, slowly makes me think I may have wanted that 150 after all when I built the boat.  

That happened to us with the 115. Once we decided, we quickly pulled the trigger on the 150 before much depreciation set in. 

The turning point was when my 10 year old laid on his BACK while riding the tube, with his hands behind his head, not holding on to anything.  He was sending the message how boring the 115 was for tubing. We got the message.  He only weighed about 70 lbs at the time. We knew it would get worse the older he got.

Another alternative is to get rid of the tube, and get skis, or a knee board or wake board.  With those YOU drive in a straight line and THEY decide when they want to go outside the wake.  Far less HP than pulling a tube (wildly), much easier on the driver (if you don't have power steering) and a lot better on the gas since the throttle isn't full speed all the time.

I used to do alot of turning....with my 75hp I had to sling them out to side! I would have had to go from 20 ft to 22 to get 115 or 150hp they said so I choose the 90hp. 

I see.  Then what you need is PADS. 

Dawn YOU have to get them outside the wake! Don't be afraid whip those boys outside the wake and flip 'em! Just keep going in a circle! 

PADS is a disease you can catch from this forum that leads to getting a new boat.

PADS is a disease you can catch from this forum that leads to getting a new boat.

Dawn, it's real....only had my boat a few years and just found myself starting the rebuild dream on the benny website.  Stay strong! 

Back