The things you see ???

For as short as the time I've been Boating I seen more than I need to on the water, I'm out there to get away from the idiots of the world and craziness! DUI's, overdoses, cardiac assists. When I bought my first boat, I towed a boat in every 4th of July from 2005 thru 2011. My buddy would drop me in and I'd meet him back at the dock, after the second year he'd just leave the golf cart at the dock cause he figured I was towing another boat in.  Most people extremely thankful, a few idiots who just had to much to drink and couldn't put the lanyard back in, yes that happened! One quick story, had  drunk lady on a rental boat Ram the back of an elderly couple Because they asked them to move over in the channel as they almost hit them, girl turned around and literally ran their boat up over the back of the boat and made physical contact with them. The misses is still in a wheel chair and this happen about 4 years ago. She (the rental driver) was obviously under the influence and was prosecuted. I'm fine with drinking, just don't be the one behind the wheel.

Keep This In Mind as well.....

Any person who renders assistance at the scene of a collision, accident, or other casualty involving a vessel is not liable in a civil action for damages or injury to persons or property resulting from any act or omission in rendering assistance or in providing or arranging salvage, towage, medical treatment, or other assistance, except that the person is liable for willful or wanton misconduct in rendering assistance.

I believe they call that the "Good Samaritan Act". 

I think I remember seeing that episode! :D

We were entering the North end of the lake we were on last year and had just passed under a bridge.  Essentially this is a slow speed lane for boats entering and exiting the lake into a waterway that leads to the Erie Canal.  We were behind another pontoon boat when a large boat comes flying down the lane in the opposite direction literally making no attempt to slow down at all.   Both the pontoon ahead of us and ours had to make quick turns into the wake (very deep wake) and the boat ahead of us almost lost a few passengers who fell over drinks and all inside the boat as they had their backs turned and likely never saw it coming.  

The boat that caused the wake never slowed down and it was as if the driver was oblivious to anything else.  

The silver lining to the experience?   On the other side of the bridge sat the Sheriff's department boat patrol.  I looked around and saw about 6 boats full of people cheer as they stopped the boat in question.  I can only hope the stop resulted in a bunch of tickets being written.  

I occasionally venture over to the Sea Ray forum to check out boats. I came upon a thread relating to the differences between the cuddy's, bowriders and bigger boats versus the pontoons (canbotes is what they call us). There were some posters on there that were actually making light of what a bigger boat like that can do to a pontoon. Just as you explained, passengers that don't see them coming can almost be thrown off of the pontoon. They all found this to be very funny and explained that pontoons don't have a place on their waters. Made me scratch my head and say hmmmmmmmm...........

Last edited by a moderator:
I occasionally venture over to the Sea Ray forum to check out boats. I came upon a thread relating to the differences between the cuddy's, bowlders and bigger boats versus the pontoons (canbotes is what they call us). There were some posters on there that were actually making light of what a bigger boat like that can do to a pontoon. Just as you explained, passengers that don't see them coming can almost be thrown off of the pontoon. They all found this to be very funny and explained that pontoons don't have a place on their waters. Made me scratch my head and say hmmmmmmmm...........

Sea Ray owners aren't known for their tact and class. Right Jack?

This isn't boating related but it's so odd I have to share. Yesterday my wife and I were on our way home from the dealership in the new truck and we come up on this guy walking towards traffic but on the sidewalk where he should be. It actually looked like he was jump roping but without the jump rope, then without looking for traffic he jumped down into our lane and kicked a roadkill raccoon as hard as he could out towards the center line. We were going 55 and thankfully there wasn't another vehicle next to us so we could swerve around this guy. He then got back on the sidewalk and continued. WTF!!!! Strangest thing I've ever seen.

This isn't boating related but it's so odd I have to share. Yesterday my wife and I were on our way home from the dealership in the new truck and we come up on this guy walking towards traffic but on the sidewalk where he should be. It actually looked like he was jump roping but without the jump rope, then without looking for traffic he jumped down into our lane and kicked a roadkill raccoon as hard as he could out towards the center line. We were going 55 and thankfully there wasn't another vehicle next to us so we could swerve around this guy. He then got back on the sidewalk and continued. WTF!!!! Strangest thing I've ever seen.

Are you telling me you've never played invisible jump rope, hop, skip, and kick the dead racoon?!?!?!?!?

Are you telling me you've never played invisible jump rope, hop, skip, and kick the dead racoon?!?!?!?!?

We only did it with opossums. They have softer fur and skid further. That's why kicking a raccoon was the craziest thing I've seen! 

We only did it with opossums. They have softer fur and skid further. That's why kicking a raccoon was the craziest thing I've seen! 

See and ours are always frozen, so they slide a LONG way, but you break your toe doing it! 

Back