Thinking about buying a new Bennington-Opinions???

Welcome aboard Kelly!

If you have a certain amount that you want to spend in mind, I would recommend going with the S and a LARGE motor (150 to 200) instead of a G and a smaller motor, given that you have a 12 year old boy.  I've been pulling 12-14 year olds on tubes the last couple years, and I guarantee you DO NOT want less than a 150HP motor. 

Maybe you are looking at a G and a large motor, but if you are thinking of a 115 or smaller, let me know and I'll dig up my personal story on upgrading from a 115 to a 150 for you to read.  It's on this forum somewhere.

Also, I would suggest reading back into past forum posts as much as you can.  Lots of good info here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice explanation Jack M on the Biminis.  I was confused on the differences as well
Thank You, after what I have gone through being confused . Anything I can do to help. Or try to .

On the new arches, do any of them fold down?   If not, I would be concerned about fitting it through the garage door.

If I am not mistaken ,with some work they can be disassembled  ( a few hex head screws ),but they do not fold down like a standard Bimini 

None of them fold down?

From what I have been told No .

In fact on the Tower and the Hybrid Arch the canvas stays up 100% of the time .

That is why we ordered the standard Arch , you can fold up the canvas and not be forced to be in the shade .We boat to be in the sun, if we wanted  to be in the shade we can stay home .

I saw a aftermarket arch being installed the other day on Ship Shape TV that could be dropped easily for trailering. You might check their website for a link.

The fence of my Bennie is almost 8' tall when sitting on at trailer, and I doubt that my boat would go in a regular garage. But with a arch/tower, a special structure might be required to get out of the weather.

And look around for leftovers. We picked up our RLI for less than the G with options we were going to order. We actually started with a 20 SLX, then changed to a G, then bought the leftover RLI. In the end paid about 6k more, but spread out over 10 years, I think it was about $40 month extra with our down money. Cry once and done.

Commodore is right.  Make a list of options that you want, then see if they are standard features on an R.  I have a 2013 R (Matador Red), look below for info on my boat.  Also go to my gallery for some boat pics.  I see from your photo that you are pulling 3 wakeboarders.  We pulled 7 waterskiers out of the water this summer, plus there were 3 crew members onboard.  Like I have said before, we play hard all day, then we relax and go for a cocktail cruise at night.  My 2-cents,  nothing beats a Bennington for great family fun. 

We are for sure looking at a 150hp or more.  Now we are trying to decide new or used.  The good thing is we've got several months to look around.   As far as the top, sport arch, etc.  I'm a SUN girl.  I never want shade , however my captain does like shade occasionally so we need to factor that in.  I'd like to win the lottery (then I'd have no worries with all these decisions). :)

It's very rare we pull 3 wakeboarders.  Most of our friends all have new Malibu boats and when we wakeboard it is behind their boats. As far as R series, it's just too high priced for us right now....  Maybe a used one will be more in our price range.   Like GWLK, we too like a night cocktail cruise with friends, so comfort and luxury is a must at this point. 

Check out the dealers in your area ,some  may have a few 2013's still available .

I know there are in Michigan. 

Yes, we are looking at all dealers and locations.   At least we have several months to find what we want....although I'd like to find it soon so that I can get back to concentrating on work and other things! LOL!

Mine is for sale...If you win the lottery! :)

New will have a 7 year warranty... We looked at used but there are many who do not keep their boats covered, until you come to look at them. Too many unknowns and it seemed for a small amount more you can have new and enjoy all the latest advancements in styling and performance. Pontoons have sure come a long way in a couple years.

The used values on Benningtons are so high for ones just a few years old it usually makes sense to get a new one if you can negotiate right. 2013 leftovers are particularly good targets at the boat shows.

I agree TomS, look for the leftovers but make sure you are happy with the setup on the toons because changing them later is an expensive option 

Kelly: You're getting some good information on this info request. Don't be overwhelmed.

Don't stress over the color, as any color on a Bennie is just fine. I do like the 2 tone paint jobs that came in last year, however.

I have the 24SSLX with one 48" rear facing lounger and the extended rear end. I think I'd like the twin rear facing loungers even better, but be sure to go with the extended rear end.

My wife has a L shaped seat beside the driver's seat, and she likes better than a separate seat. We have the teak table option, but we seldom use it. But everyone needs a table from time to time. I also have the ottoman with a large cooler inside, but we trip over it.

I'd suggest you make some quick decisions and get your orders in. Bennington is in the middle of boat show season, and they'll be blitzed with retail orders generated at the shows in another 10-14 days. Don't let'em get in front of you.

Used Benningtons are very rare.  We were very lucky to get the one we found.  Get the biggest motor the boat will handle.   When your friends discover how much fun the boat is they will be hanging on your boat.  Our kids have had 12 people on the boat and tubed and water skied.  Enjoy!!!!

Back