toon back to factory for repair ? How long did it take?

Miltenbergers

Reaction score
I have a 2575RCW that I took to dealer last fall for winterization and some warranty issues.  The synthetic teak decking was bubbling around the ladder mounts like it needed to be reglued, and then I thought the carpet was wearing/fading rather quickly as was the "ostrich" upholstery portion of the seats.   I got a call back from the dealer who told me that Bennington wanted it back to the factory to repair it.   I thought, that's fine, I have nothing to do but store it for the winter, so it might as well go back and get whatever needs fixing fixed.

I never heard another word out of the dealer or the factory.  So this spring, I emailed the dealer and asked when my boat was going to be ready to be picked up..... thinking that they either kept it in their storage and hadn't contacted me yet, or that maybe they were shipping it back on a trailer with other new boats that were ordered, etc.    Much to my surprise, the response I got back was that they would have to call in to the factory and see what the status was!! This is in early May....after boating season has started in my area.   A few more emails back and forth, a call from the dealership, and the last email today states that the factory is waiting for the furniture to arrive yet......   New furniture?  repaired furniture??  Who knows, as nothing has been communicated to me.   

If I would have known up front that I was going to be without my $80,000 boat for a season, I would have had second thoughts about sending it back for repair.   I'm making payments, losing depreciation, while paying insurance, taxes, and dock fees for a boat that I am not even sure still exists.

Will be the first 4th of July in 25 years that I won't be watching fireworks from my boat, the way it is looking.

Is this typical of anyone else that has had their boat have to go back to the factory for some repairs?    I thought Bennington was the best and had their stuff together, but this is something else.   

Any other experiences ?

Thanks!

I have heard of this happening to a guy who owns a Premier. ...the dealer gave him a demo to use while it was gone...someone obviously dropped the ball, so a demo is the minimum they should do

Agreed Miltinbergers, ask for a loaner

Yeah a Q loaner at that...Sorry to hear about the troubles

Personally, i would insist that it be done next winter so you can enjoy it this season, and get that in writing if possible.

Someone dropped the ball on you, at this point it doesn't matter who, just as long as it gets picked back up.

Since you have a warranty, does it really matter if it gets done now or later?

And i can't help the sarcasm here, but boy it sure was nice to hear about all the fun you have had and see all those pictures of your boat in your first post here.

But hey, maybe you where too busy...............

+1 on the comparable if not upgraded loaner. 

Are you sure the dealer didn't drop the ball? It's so easy these days to blame Bennington..... I tend to agree with Geoffrey ......

+2 on the loaner!!! Keep after em until you get what you think is a reasonable resolution.

I have noticed that my faux teak floor is starting to bubble also on my 2013 sslx. I sure hope I don't have to send mine back, but I loved the boat so far.

I had a bubble and stain that went back for warranty last winter.  Am starting to get the stain again.  Stain is located directly below the gas nozzle, they had sent me a new gas cap when I first reported it 

My teak floor bubbled and a part of the rear wood decking popped up off the supports.  My dealer did all the reparis.  Took off al the carpet / decking / furniture / etc from the helm seat back.  Replaced the deck as well. Installed new waveshield as well since it bowed just in front of the transom pod. Took them 9 weeks to complete  It didn't have to go back to the factory.  Wonder why they sent yours back? 

Have you called Bennington customer service yet?  They contacted me and walked me through the process and answered all questions evertime I called or sent a email.  I say it took 9 weeks (that's how long they had the boat) but they really did the work in about 3.  They were the ones who said they were too busy with spring launches and such and mine kept getting on the back burner.  This was April 2013.  Got it back end of June 2013.

I would agree with the others, I would suspect the dealer dropped the ball. To be sure though, find out when your boat arrived to Bennington.  Ask them this question and then ask your dealer when they shipped it,  See if the dates align.  If ti was Bennington's fault, the boat would have been there all winter long.  If dealers fault, it probably showed up a month or 2 ago????

Whoever is to blame, needs to make it right and get you a loaner for sure!

Keep us posted

Back