Towable Tubes

benniglug

Reaction score
The last 2 years we have run a costco purchased 4 person HO tube, only to have them develop holes. There were no visibible signs of damage to the outside nylon cover, yet the vinyl tube inside had what looked like slices in the tube.  Each tube has only lasted 1 season and they run about $200.  Costco has refunded the one we bought last year - so we are  looking to buy a new one.  I was looking a big and super big mable, but I have also read on some review of similar failures with these large tubes.  I am afraid of spending $500 instead of $200 only to get the same result.

Anybody have recommendatiosn of a 3 -4 person towable that will last at lease 3-4 years?

I don't have one, but a boat 3 slips away from me have one and they use it all the time. This is it's third season.

I bought a Rave Mambo for my grandkids, carries 1-3 people, three years ago and have not had a problem. I checked Amazon and they were priced at $170-260.

We are on our 3rd year w/the Big Mable. No complaints yet............We had a Big Bertha before that and had it 5 years. The outer cover literally broke while in use and the actual tube part was still intact..............

Don't buy a new tube. Get a bottle of Coghlans AirStop. Incredible stuff. No patches, just brush it on like nail polish. $3-ish. I've used it on several rips. Always works. Saw it on clearance recently for $2 and bought all 5 of them and gave 4 away to boating friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thing there weren't 6 bottles on clearance kaydano, you might have gotten stuck with more than one bottle for yourself :p

They are very tiny bottles. I have 3!

I think the rips come from using a tube that is a little soft (underinflated). When the kids stand on a soft tube (like a sharp heel diggin into the vinyl) it folds over the vinyl pinching it and causing a tear. Much like splitting your head open when you fall from drinking too much and hit your head on the floor. The floor isn't sharp, but you get a sharp looking cut...

When we tube, I always refill the tube after the first rider. I don't know why, but it seems like the tube stretches out after getting wet and being rode for a while and then gets soft (Derrick? Jared?).

I have had several tears and this Coghlans stuff is amazing. You just paint it on like fingernail polish (ask me how I know) then wait 5 minutes and do it again. After 30 minutes you could probably use the tube, but full cure is 24 hours. I usually bring the tube home though and put on several coats (5 or 6).

I've tried other stuff, including patches, and they all eventually leak or peel off. Try this stuff before you buy a new tube. Only a few bucks and could save you hundreds...

Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-8880-Airstop/dp/B001Q891SW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404950878&sr=8-1&keywords=airstop

They are very tiny bottles.  I have 3!

I think the rips come from using a tube that is a little soft (underinflated).  When the kids stand on a soft tube (like a sharp heel diggin into the vinyl) it folds over the vinyl pinching it and causing a tear.  Much like splitting your head open when you fall from drinking too much and hit your head on the floor.  The floor isn't sharp, but you get a sharp looking cut...

When we tube, I always refill the tube after the first rider.  I don't know why, but it seems like the tube stretches out after getting wet and being rode for a while and then gets soft (Derrick?  Jared?).

I have had several tears and this Coghlans stuff is amazing.  You just paint it on like fingernail polish (ask me how I know) then wait 5 minutes and do it again.  After 30 minutes you could probably use the tube, but full cure is 24 hours.  I usually bring the tube home though and put on several coats (5 or 6).

I've tried other stuff, including patches, and they all eventually leak or peel off.  Try this stuff before you sell your tube.  Only a few bucks and could save you hundreds...

Here's a link:  http://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-8880-Airstop/dp/B001Q891SW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404950878&sr=8-1&keywords=airstop
I'll take the high road on this one, although it pains me to. I believe the reason it gets soft after it gets ridden for a while can be related to cold water shrinkage. Ok, so not the really high road. Anyways, because the air coming out of the pump is hot, it goes in the tube and feels really full, then the cooler water hits it, and as you all know, this causes the air molecules to move slower and become more dense. It's why we put cold air intakes on our cars. Denser air, bigger explosion, more power!!! 

They are very tiny bottles. I have 3!

I think the rips come from using a tube that is a little soft (underinflated). When the kids stand on a soft tube (like a sharp heel diggin into the vinyl) it folds over the vinyl pinching it and causing a tear. Much like splitting your head open when you fall from drinking too much and hit your head on the floor. The floor isn't sharp, but you get a sharp looking cut...

When we tube, I always refill the tube after the first rider. I don't know why, but it seems like the tube stretches out after getting wet and being rode for a while and then gets soft (Derrick? Jared?).

I have had several tears and this Coghlans stuff is amazing. You just paint it on like fingernail polish (ask me how I know) then wait 5 minutes and do it again. After 30 minutes you could probably use the tube, but full cure is 24 hours. I usually bring the tube home though and put on several coats (5 or 6).

I've tried other stuff, including patches, and they all eventually leak or peel off. Try this stuff before you buy a new tube. Only a few bucks and could save you hundreds...

Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-8880-Airstop/dp/B001Q891SW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404950878&sr=8-1&keywords=airstop
Pass. Next question.

After much research and trial and error with other brands we went with the Aqua Glide Syncro 3 person towable. They have a one year warranty due to there very heavy duty bladder i think 24 gauge compared to 29 with most others. It tows awesome and kids love how smooth it rides. Check em out!

What are those straps on your cooler used for???

I took a igloo cube and screwed D rings into side to hold two bungee cords so I could mount a cooler on the rear swim deck. They work great and don't move even while banking hard with tubers. Here is a pic with it mounted to the back of the boat. If you want a close up of the cooler i can get one?

Pics of cooler

So how does it attach to the boat? 

Back