Transom Cover

Rockie69

Reaction score
While the kiddos were swimming yesterday I found myself sitting in the back making sure people did not step into the gapping hole above the transom. I'm looking into front boarding ladders and found a lot of useful information on here, but I have been unable to unearth anything about a cover for the hole. My first thought is there should be something aftermarket available, (did not find anything), second thought is should not be that difficult to build. So...

If anyone has seen such an animal (other than the ones made out of 2x4's at the dealers) let me know. I'm not looking for something to stand on, rather something to protect people from stepping into the hole. It would be removable and storable in the center toon.

Thank you,

I do the very same thing, I'm always looking to make sure no one is getting on or off the boat without telling them not to fall in the hole.

Pics? So Some of us with "older" boats know what you're talking about.

I think he means that recessed area in front of the motor. I have the same problem when I step around it to put the engine cover on or pull the top cowling off.

I'd grab a piece of aluminum diamond plate and cut to fit. Maybe epoxy some magnets on to plate and transom so it "holds" till you want to pop it off ?? Just a thought.

Or maybe use Zues Fasteners ????

Zeus fasteners cause I don't think the magnets would work with aluminum. :D

One of the advantages of the I/O. Full swim platform and no holes.

Is it even all right to place the weight of a man on the transom, I always try to stay off of it when putting the playpen cover on for fear that between the weight of the motor and myself I might break it?

I'm thinking some velvet ropes. But on a serious note, I've never observed this. I don't have an extended deck so people are not usually in that area, just up the ladder and in.

Thank you for the ideas. I fear if I put up velvet ropes, it will just compound the situation as people will then think it's an access point to a "club". The diamond plate has merit, just trying to figure out which would be lighter, and less "slippery". I was also thinking about chicken wire, and a conibear trap. :eek:

Is it even all right to place the weight of a man on the transom, I always try to stay off of it when putting the playpen cover on for fear that between the weight of the motor and myself I might break it?
Excellent question. I almost did this once installing my motor cover, and I thought the very same thing. I'm thinking the front ladder will better suit my needs. However, people will still migrate to the stern because, A.) It sits lower B.) People like it in the back, it is easier to talk to people because you can see them, hear the music... etc, etc. So... I am also thinking about possibly raising the prop out of the water and putting a cover on it to also eliminate the cut hazard under water. This should minimize a couple challenges.

Thanks again for your suggestions, I'll post photos if I do anything.

Rockie, good idea but be careful...

I had posted this exact same suggestion a year ago (I think it's in the Bennington "Your Ideas" thread somewhere), but later I realized that a lot of that space is needed for either cable movement or to tilt the motor all the way up. You might want to check your motor clearance (when tilted up) before you make anything to cover up the hole. I know that a cowling for my OLD (ha ha ha) 115 cost ~$1000. You definitely don't want to crack your motor cowling.

When people are swimming, I like to keep my motor ALL the way down and the prop turned away from the ladder. But, others suggest tilting it all the way up so everyone can see where the prop is. My opinion is this is fine for adults, but my kids don't watch out for themselves well enough, and I'm afraid they'd cut their head open. Anyway, my point is if you don't mind tilting your motor all the way up, you could see if the cowling fills up the space enough (when tilted up) to keep people away from it.

Another idea is if you have the tow hooks back there like I do, you could remove those (I've never used them, and don't know that I ever would), and use the holes to bolt something to the boat. For example a railing in the shape of an upside down "U" would work to make a small "fence". Which is basically what my tow bar does. You can buy threaded gas pipe, and 90 degree elbows, and if you sanded and painted it the same color as your boat or motor, it MIGHT look like it was supposed to be there. It would get the job done, but depends how redneck you are... Ha ha ha!

Hadn't thought about covering the prop when tilted up. Interesting idea... I am drawing a blank on how one would do that though.

You definitely wouldn't want to forget you had your prop covered when you started the motor, which is something I would do. Still occasionally forget to pull up the ladder!

I wonder if you cut a noodle into 3 pieces (three blade prop) cut a slit into it to match the leading edge, then slip them over the blades. It would be a pain doing that each time but it wouldn't take up much room and would eliminate kids getting hurt on the prop.

One for the skeg tip too.

Nice thing is if you forgot they were there, no big deal. Prolly float off when the motor tilts back down. Nice idea.

Zeus fasteners cause I don't think the magnets would work with aluminum. :D
Epoxy one to transom, one to plate, they stick together. It's how they hold canopies on R/C planes on. ;-)

I doubt you would hurt it. Think of the weight of the motor already there, plus the stress load when running a 150-250 hp motor. I would bet it would easily hold you.

Back