Trim question???

altimmer

Reaction score
I purchased a new 2275 GL with a 2014, 150 HP Mercury in spring. I continue to have a problem with the trim gauge and the engine cutting out. My dealer is great and has worked on the problem several times but it continues. Any time I go over 1200 rpm and the trim indicates neutral the  engine shakes and cuts out. If i trim it to indicate full down trim the engine runs fine but i don't know where I am with trim. The dealer added a part to the engine that the factory said would solve the problem but no luck. The came out twice and reprogrammed the engine with out success.  Anyone have a similar problem and how was it resolved?

Welcome aboard altimmer,

That's a dandy problem you have there! I'm just guessing that it really has nothing to do with the trim gauge itself, but more of a wiring issue when the engine is raised.

Still, just guessing, but if for instance a wire was loose under the engine cowl, and as it gets raised up the wire looses contact and/or gets shorted out.  If it was me working on it, i would have a very close look at how the wiring was installed, and make sure there are no stress points on the wiring harness from the engine all the way up to the helm.

Hope you get it sorted out soon! Let us know the outcome.

That response makes a lot of sense to me! It's either that, or somehow the fuel line gets pinched when raised, since you say it sputters first.

Just returned from the Dealer and had the engine winterized and tried to correct the trim gauge problem. Was told it was because the Bennington trim gauge is analog and the Mercury 150 is digital and the signals don't convert correctly. I find it difficult to believe this is the only 2014 Mercury 150 on a Bennington and no one else has this problem. He installed a converter kit on the engine but the problem was not resolved. Anyone else have this issue and how did it get resolved? Neutral trim shows as almost full down trim. if I trim up to 1/2 down trim and 2000 rpm the engine starts to cut out. The dealer explained its a safety feature on the Mercury that wont let you over rev with to much up trim. But i am no where near neutral trim indication when this occurs.

What do you mean by "neutral" trim?

No problem with mine ,

By neutral trim i mean the gauge is in the 12 o'clock position. I can not run the engine at that position or anywhere to the right of 12 o'clock. It has to be at the far left line on the gauge as far left as it goes or just slightly above there to run.

Ok, yours is different than ours. But one end of the guage should mean the engine is all the way down and the other end of the guage is all the way up.

Does it cut out at 2000 or 1200?

2000 is the safety level for over trimming. If this only happens above 2000, then sounds like a problem related to the motor protection system.

If this happens above 1200, or more importantly below 2000, then I'd be wiggling wiring connectors and moving wires around like G&B said.

It sounds like the motor protection system. I am just surprised no one else is experiencing this problem with the analog gauge and digital engine. I thought maybe Bennington switched to digital gauges later in the 2014 model year and i just had an analog version. 

While i am not familiar with the digital trim sender, isn't it adjustable? All the boats i have owned had 2 trim sensors, one for trim reading (gauge) and one for trim limit, which only allows trim to a certain point when the throttle is engaged.

And both where adjustable.

It sounds like the part your dealer put on would be a digital to analog converter, but if it did not change anything, i would wonder if it was installed correctly, or if the digital sensor was bad.

If your dealer is not familiar with this setup, it may be time to get some additional support from Mercury.

I have a trim problem also on a new 2015 2375 GCW  with a  150 mercury. Trim gauge don't work, dealer has tried a new gauge and sender and still don't work. Mercury say there motors are set up for digital gauges and said Bennington may use anialog gagues. If so they have a converter that will take care of the problem. Anybody else have this problem? Thanks

We have a 2015 2550 GBR with a 300hp Verado that the trim gauge has never worked.  Still waiting on the breakin period to be over & have the dealer look at it. The speedo also has never worked.

This boat was never looked over by the dealer. What a joke !!

If they solve the issues I will reply back to you.

We have a 2015 2550 GBR with a 300hp Verado that the trim gauge has never worked.  Still waiting on the breakin period to be over & have the dealer look at it. The speedo also has never worked.

This boat was never looked over by the dealer. What a joke !!

If they solve the issues I will reply back to you.
If you have the Mercury SC1000/100 multi-function tach/speedo combo, you can calibrate the trim yourself using the mode selection menus. That is, assuming the multi-function gauge was actually connected and working to begin with. These are Merc Smartcraft digital gauges, not analog.

I have seen the identical issues on a 2015 Verado 350 on a G with SmartCraft gauges.

Back