Twin 32 Elliptical Pontoons

cgl

Reaction score
Hi:

I am currently looking at purchasing a 22SFF to use on the river where I am buidling a new full time home. The river is never wider than about 100 yards and the section I am on is 5 miles long between the dams, so I don't really think speed is much of an issue (nor are watersport very feasable). I will mostly just fish or cruise. would the 32 elliptical pontoons be worth it just for extra stability (person capacity)? or should I get the smaller 3rd toon, or just the standard 2 toons. Can anyone comment on the differences of the above setups for slow speed cruising only? Also can anyone comment on the full camper enclosure for this boat that bennington sells, they list it as an option put don't have any good pictures that I could find.

Thanks

I would at least go twin ellipticals for capacity and stability ...... just my 2 cents ...... :)

I have the twin 32 elliptical tubes on a large lake in TN. I don't know if you encounter any rough water but the ride can't be beat. I opted for them over a tri-toon, after a test ride by the dealer and we have not been dissapointed.

OUR WEATHER SUCKS!!! Because of this, we have not been able to log enough hours to get us out of the break-in period, which means I don't have any personal input....yet.

What I do know is that our dealer was really excited about the twin ellipticals that our boat has. When we were on our maiden voyage with him, we had "rough" conditions on our 300 acre lake, which means maybe a 1 foot chop. He instantly was raving about the ride of the ellipticals. He said that if you had two pontoons, identical except on had elliptical and one was standard, you could tell blindfolded what boat you were riding on after a short time. We came out of an inboard ski boat, so it was all new and different for us. But he raved about the ride and the supposed performance gain we would have, and this was after we paid him!! :D

hope that helps

Pray for nice weekends for us!!

I don't have the ellipticals but wish I did. I am amazed at how well my two toons does ride even in 3' chop but the elepticals help tremendously when you have a full boat

Love our twin elipticals. This will be the 3rd season and we do all of our boating on Saginaw Bay and lake huron (large bodies of water). I think it rides better then my cousins triple tube brand X boat in most conditions except for turning of course. Triple tubes will spin circles around any type of twin tube boat.

Todd

It all depends on how many people you'll be carrying and how many horses you're going to have on the rear end.

I seldom ever carried over 6 people on my Starcraft pontoon with a Yamaha 115 hp 2 stroke. And the boat did me well.

But if I was often going to have 8-10 people on the boat, I would tell you to go with either the twin ellipticals or the Express Tube package (which is less expensive.) The least horsepower needed on either is a 90 hp, but their really at their best with 115 hp or even better the 150 hp.

Since you're located on a skinny river, a regular 25" twin toons would probably do the job for you. A 75 hp motor would be my preference in your situation.

I don't know Bamaman, I was leaning towards recommending a 28ft with the 350!! Hehe jk!

I've seen some skinny rivers and canals where they water skied. The boat would have to drop the skier, turn at an idle and pull the skier again for the run home. At least on small rivers, they don't have to worry about white caps and swells. And the water's often like glass.

I'll agree with you.

Years ago, a speeding jet boat cut our ski rope in half. We boated on a narrow river, and the jet boat went flying by between me (I was in the water putting skis on) and our boat. The boat, rope and myself were perpendicular to the length of the river, which wasn't a good position to be in. I was holding the handle when the jet boat cut the rope in half, and the handle didn't even twitch. Clean cut. I didn't think much of it at the time, I was probably in about 9th grade. I just swam over, tied a knot in the two cut ends, told my Dad to hit it, and continued skiing. The rope was 50 feet long, so that was the space between me and the boat, and the jet boat screamed by at 50 mph or so right between us. Looking back on it, I doubt the jet boat even saw me in the water. That's the kind of thing that can happen in a narrow river.

^^^^ and that's why I like my 20hp restricted lake.

The river we "boated" on was a mile wide and they still didn't pay attention. On a nice weekend, you had 50 boats zig zagging at 50 mph all oblivious to their surroundings ....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back