Update 2550 GSR Merc 300 Verado ESP

ssc

Reaction score
Just a quick update. Running a 16p enertia. I always have my double Bim up. Only have 10 hours on the boat. I have been playing with the trim. Generally the air temp is above 100 and water around 80.

Holeshot is great as is midrange. So far the top end is 48.5 gps at approximately 6000 rpm. Slip is approximately 8%. I have had the same results with two people and half a tank of gas or 4 people with a full tank and coolers. Did I mention it gets hot here?

I tend to think that I am able to get the same results with the added weight due to getting used to the boat and its proclivities regarding trim and reading the water relative to the trim and how it reacts. I also think the motor is breaking in properly. I still think my lack of experience with toons is a factor, but i am trying to learn.

I tend to think as the motor continues to break in, and the heat abates and I "learn the boat" better, that it will exceed 50 mph with a light load. Update to continue.

Cheers, Steve

Cooler air and water will do more to increase top end......than breakin....congrats!

Just an update. I did put this info in my Havasu cruise thread. Cooler weather and water. Five people with double bim up and 38 gallons of gas. The boat pulled harder through the mid range. The bim does act as a parachute. Saw 49.3MPH via GPS at 6000 rpm. There is no doubt in my mind that with a light load and lowered bim it would do 54. However, I have no intention on lowering the bim. I may try a top end run with less weight and gas. I feel confident it will hit 50-51. At this time I am very satisfied with the performance of my boat. I am impressed with the holeshot and midrange. Having forced induction gives me a good performance level not withstanding the weather. It is a bit stronger with cooler weather and water, but not by much. This is why I bought the Verado.

Cheers, Steve

I've always felt my bimini sliced through the air pretty well, and doesn't create any noticeable loss of top end speed. I always thought it acted like an inverted spoiler and offset some of the weight of the boat (which could actually make the boat go faster).  Never compared though.

Last edited by a moderator:
We actually had to stop and readjust the bim as it was billowing. We tightened the front struts. On my last boat I had a bim with a windscreen mesh panel down the middle to let the air through and routinely ran it over 70mph. I think the bim on the bennington has a warning about not going over a certain speed with the bim up. It definitely catches a lot of air.

Cheers, Steve

I believe that speed is 15 mph. Might not want to advertise going above that in the event a warranty issue comes up.

You are probably correct. I will say that in all the demo rides, the salesman always exceeded the 15mph with the bim up. I am ordering a bim with the mesh windscreen down the middle. It is made out of sunbrella and I like the performance aspect as well as the looks. It will be custom made to my specs and colors. I would like to avoid any billowing. The mesh does keep out 90% of the sun.

Cheers, Steve

Bet that ill look cool, can't wait to see pix of it

Back