Used Benny

slyguy

Reaction score
Hi Folks... The Mrs. and I are considering a used Benny.  

The boat has some damage to the toons.  I was told by the current (only) owner (who was very nice and seemed honest) it was done while loading the boat on the trailer @ 10pm late last summer.  

20160313_134754.jpg

Another view:

20160313_134759.jpg

And another:

20160313_135019.jpg

and the center tube:

20160313_134826_1.jpg

Is this something to be overly concerned about?  The toons otherwise are in great shape.  The dealer had Bennington apply sharkhide.  The boat is a 2015.  If its nothing that should break the deal?  Is it fixable?  He said the dealer said to wait for a few more dings, as they have a minimum.  WDYT?

The only other things are there are some minor dings in the port panels.

And they had stored wet gear in the in-floor storage locker that was still in there.  There was some mildew on some of the stuff stored in there.  Wet since when, last summer :blink: ?  I suppose nothing that a little bleach couldn't take care of.  Should I worry about mold in there?  I didn't climb in there.  Something else I realized, this is a bar boat with that expensive grill that plops in the holes on top  (which they never used).  You can't use this with the bimini top up, huh?  

20160313_133315.jpg

Thoughts?

I appreciate all replies.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it look like the tube is punctured? Given this and the storage I guess I would worry about how well other things like the motor were taken care.

You can believe that's trailer damage as I have some similar scars on the insides of mine. nothing that's punctured but the scratches really stink!! :angry:   I've heard of trying to pop the dents with a heat gun and computer spray. Can't help you on the bar question. 

I do know the owner of this boat. He bought at the same dealer just after I purchased mine. The motor has very little hours as they just purchased the boat last summer. We were out with them a couple times and I have actually driven this boat. Boat rides super nice and the motor is so quiet I didn't even realize it was running. He is a pretty straight forward honest guy from what I know. We became friends with him and his wife after we met them on the way to the lake in our new Benny. I was so excited about my new boat I was talking it up to anyone that would listen. He liked mine so went to the dealer and bought one. I think it was more of a impulse buy.

There is a plastic pipe plug on the top side that you can remove to pressurize to see if there is any leakage.

Note that this tube will have 3 separate chambers and the one you are concerned about ends at the rear of the nose cone.

Careful, only a couple PSI is adequate when pressurizing tube.

Buy it and use it.

I do know the owner of this boat. He bought at the same dealer just after I purchased mine. The motor has very little hours as they just purchased the boat last summer. We were out with them a couple times and I have actually driven this boat. Boat rides super nice and the motor is so quiet I didn't even realize it was running. He is a pretty straight forward honest guy from what I know. We became friends with him and his wife after we met them on the way to the lake in our new Benny. I was so excited about my new boat I was talking it up to anyone that would listen. He liked mine so went to the dealer and bought one. I think it was more of a impulse buy.
Yeah, he mentioned that he saw a guy at a gas station with a red benny, I asked him if it was a R23 with a blackout and an Evinrude motor.  Small world.  

Yeah, the boat is the one pictured, with Landscaper's.  He says it has about 20 hrs on the motor.  We are supposed to take in on the lake sometime this week.  

There is a plastic pipe plug on the top side that you can remove to pressurize to see if there is any leakage.

Note that this tube will have 3 separate chambers and the one you are concerned about ends at the rear of the nose cone.

Careful, only a couple PSI is adequate when pressurizing tube.
How do you get at this plug?  Does it have a schrader valve?  Pictures?

They are battle scars. They add character.

Even if they were punctured, a good aluminum tig welder can fix them, but they do look like they are just superficial. The first dings are always the most painful ones. At least if you buy it, you won't be the one to cause the first scar. Buy it and enjoy it!!

slyguy, the plugs are on the very top of the toon if I remember right about 1/5 of the way back.  Be careful or consider having the dealer do it.

How do you get at this plug?  Does it have a schrader valve?  Pictures?
Unless you know what you're doing, don't. Too much air pressure would be bad.

I'd have him claim it on his insurance, negotiate on helping with the deductible if needed and get it repaired. I don't like driving dented/damaged boats/cars etc.

I don't see any covers on the trailer's guide posts (in the 2nd and 4th pics) so if you do buy this, make sure you get some plastic PVC pipe covers.  Or you will likely repeat the damage.

Get four sections of 4-inch (if I remember right) PVC from Menards or Home Depot about 24-30 inches long each (I'd have to measure).  I put one coupler on top of each pipe to add a little more strength to the top of the PVC (the ends of mine got beat up and chipped before I replaced a couple of them).  Don't cap the PVC with end caps, use couplers, or they will be airtight and float off.  Or use end caps and drill a big hole in each to let the air out quickly when you back into the water.  You don't want them floating up and getting wedged somehow.

I'd buy the boat.  Damage is below the waterline and factored into the price.

Maybe the tips of the guides are covered, can't tell from the photo.  If so, forget what I said above.  But check it out.

I don't see any covers on the trailer's guide posts (in the 2nd and 4th pics) so if you do buy this, make sure you get some plastic PVC pipe covers.  Or you will likely repeat the damage.

Get four sections of 4-inch (if I remember right) PVC from Menards or Home Depot about 24-30 inches long each (I'd have to measure).  I put one coupler on top of each pipe to add a little more strength to the top of the PVC (the ends of mine got beat up and chipped before I replaced a couple of them).  Don't cap the PVC with end caps, use couplers, or they will be airtight and float off.  Or use end caps and drill a big hole in each to let the air out quickly when you back into the water.  You don't want them floating up and getting wedged somehow.

I'd buy the boat.  Damage is below the waterline and factored into the price.

Maybe the tips of the guides are covered, can't tell from the photo.  If so, forget what I said above.  But check it out.
That's a good idea to cover the posts, so I don't do this.  I'll have to check it out.  Maybe I'll paint the tips with glow in the dark paint.  

I'll let the others answer the pontoon damage question.  I'll address your grill question.

I have that same bar (love it by the way).  As for the grill, when it's inserted in those holes, it doesn't extend out past the railing, so it shouldn't interfere with the bimini (see photo).  Also, I had my dealer install an additional stool in front of the bar, and it's a very popular seat.  You can see that in the photo too.

Good luck...

image2_zpssyacsctf.jpg

How about opening that grill while the bimini is up......

I'll let the others answer the pontoon damage question.  I'll address your grill question.

I have that same bar (love it by the way).  As for the grill, when it's inserted in those holes, it doesn't extend out past the railing, so it shouldn't interfere with the bimini (see photo).  Also, I had my dealer install an additional stool in front of the bar, and it's a very popular seat.  You can see that in the photo too.

Good luck...

image2_zpssyacsctf.jpg
That's awesome news.  Thanks Andrew

I don't see how the grill can be used with the bimini open. Sure it doesn't extend past the rail while the lid is closed but what about opening it to put food on the grill etc with the top up. Won't lifting the lid extend out past the rails thus hitting the bimini supports? This is just based on looking at the photos and I do not have the grill.

dang Lakeliving, I didn't think about that. :blink:   What say you, Andrew?  Sorry for the Lord of the Rings speak.  

The sun is brutal here in the summer, temps can often exceed 115F.  To have to put the bimini out of the way to cook isn't practical.   

dang Lakeliving, I didn't think about that. :blink:   What say you, Andrew?  Sorry for the Lord of the Rings speak.  

The sun is brutal here in the summer, temps can often exceed 115F.  To have to put the bimini out of the way to cook isn't practical.   
But I doubt you'll be cooking in 115 degree heat.  Or maybe you will.  It gets hotter than that in Havasu and at 115 I'm in the water.   B)

Back