VF150 vs. F150

buckeym

Reaction score
Hi guys, been lurking for a while.  Getting ready to pull the trigger on a new 21SL SPS, and am having trouble getting any information from the dealer or finding any information on the web about the benefits of the SHO motor.

Its a pretty big difference in price, and from the information I've read the low and mid range power curve is better.  I know this would be a benefit, but was wondering if anyone has had both motors to just get a little reassurance.  

I am also wondering about the Seastar Power Assist.  I did not see it available as an option on the builder, and my dealer wasn't sure if I could special order it either.  If possible to get on the S model, I was throwing the idea around of just running the F150b with the PWR/A system. 

My old boat was a '93 JC tritoon with a 150 Mariner.  Am I correct to assume that the 21 /SPS/150 package will be a completely different animal in regards to power and handling? At first I said nothing less than 200 on the next boat, but the cost is out of my range.

Thank you 

Buck

Go with the power assist and yes it can be added. I believe Goldenrod has that same length boat and he was able to get it from the factory that way. As for the motors I can't chime in there aside from saying we have the F200 and love it.

It will be a completely different animal compared to the 93.

My understanding is that the F150 is more like a 163?  It's definitely underrated and produces more power than it's peers.  Because of that it would make sense there would be little difference between it and the VF.  In fact there are posts all over the net comparing the F150 to the new F200 saying there is little difference there, certainly not $4000 worth of difference.  I would take either one but I would not pay any extra for the VF150.  I would pay a little extra for the 200 though but again, not $3500 or $4000.

Friends of ours on the lake ordered a new bennington and will get it hopefully sometime in April. I don't have all the specs but it will either be a 22' or 24' S series with SPS and a 150. I hope they went for the 24' so we can do a true test of the 150 vs. 200.

Thanks for the replies guys. I am trying to keep costs down to have the smallest payment possible. I am considering the 21 with ellipticals and a f150b as well, because we don't do a ton of tubing or wakeboarding. I know it has been beat to death, but does the max power with the twin ellipticals still make it fun enough to tube behind occasionally? Is the steering and turning that bad? Would the 4000 I save in initial cost by going twin ellips and the f150 be immediately lost in resale value? I am pretty torn, like I said just trying to get the most for my money before pulling the trigger. 

I had a 22GBR with the Yamaha F150 and ellipticals.  It ran great in a straight line and took waves very well.  It got on plane quick and at WOT I could get 35mph with a few people on board. I had Sea Legs underneath so it added drag and 400lbs I think. 

Water sports are ok. We pulled a tube mostly, straight line or slow turn was fine but didn't turn sharp worth a darn. 

If you have any further questions pm me and I will give you my number and answer any questions about it. 

Thanks for the replies guys. I am trying to keep costs down to have the smallest payment possible. I am considering the 21 with ellipticals and a f150b as well, because we don't do a ton of tubing or wakeboarding. I know it has been beat to death, but does the max power with the twin ellipticals still make it fun enough to tube behind occasionally? Is the steering and turning that bad? Would the 4000 I save in initial cost by going twin ellips and the f150 be immediately lost in resale value? I am pretty torn, like I said just trying to get the most for my money before pulling the trigger. 

I think the elipticals are for a target audience. If you are thinking resale go with at least SPS. Once you take people out and the boat banks in the turns the first person who looks at it will buy it. I've already sold a few new ones just giving  rides on mine.

Thinking about resale is medicine for PADS...

I have a hard time keeping anything for too long but I also never had a brand new boat haha. I'm already staring at these swing backs and seriously considering going 22sx now lol. There goes my budget again. This is hard! I might have to go twin elliptical and f150 to offset that jump!

I agree with Lakeliving that the elliptical set-up seems to be for a more narrow market. If it comes down to the SPS or swingback, go for the SPS! Based upon your comments, I personally don't think you'd be happy with ellipticals.

After seeing the price of the Power Assist, I am going to have to hold off on it.  I'm only 24 so I should be able to handle two handed steering, LOL.  Maybe on our next boat.  My JC I'm pretty certain had cable steering and I didn't really struggle at all. Im assuming the hydraulic should be a little better. Correct?

After seeing the price of the Power Assist, I am going to have to hold off on it.  I'm only 24 so I should be able to handle two handed steering, LOL.  Maybe on our next boat.  My JC I'm pretty certain had cable steering and I didn't really struggle at all. Im assuming the hydraulic should be a little better. Correct?

Hydraulic is an improvement, power assist can always be added if to it if need be. Man only 24..... I'm getting old in a hurry! :)  

Haha if it makes you feel better I started young have a 5 year old and 3 month old. I grew up next door to a marina so that's all I did as a kid is hang out on the Saginaw Bay and dream boats.

I forgot to ask my last question. What would you guys say is the low side of a discount off MSRP pre boat season? The dealer has been good to work with so far(of course, right!), I expect to upgrade my boat and go through him ( Only local benny dealer) in the distant future.  What would be a good starting point this time of the year?

I forgot to ask my last question. What would you guys say is the low side of a discount off MSRP pre boat season? The dealer has been good to work with so far(of course, right!), I expect to upgrade my boat and go through him ( Only local benny dealer) in the distant future.  What would be a good starting point this time of the year?

I'd say 18%. We're closing in on spring time so the incentive offered to early buyers is dwindling. I guess I'm not the youngest to have bought a Benny. I was 27 when I bought our first one!

We have a 2016, 21 SLX,  Yammy F150B, Sea Star hydraulic steering (not the $2,800 upgrade), and SPS and we love it! Could it be nicer if I could steer with one finger? Easier for sure, but better? I'm not 24, but 68 and have no trouble steering.

I am also a car nut, and just because in the 1960's power steering became available that allowed steering with one finger, I usually still preferred using two hands to drive. Now currently road feedback is valued more than overboosted steering (especially in performance situations) and hardly anyone makes an overboosted powersteering. Are boats different from cars? Sure, they are but the SeaStar is more than adequate. I know I'll get flamed here (my suit is on, so I don't care) but just check with Bennington on just how many 21-24 foot boats have the full power assist. I believe the numbers will speak loudly that it is more than adequate. It's not my intent to talk you out of spending your $$, but rather that you asked for feedback from those without the full power steering. The $2,800 is slightly more than 50% of the cost for the SPS package. It's your money, either way you will enjoy your boat.

We have a 2016, 21 SLX,  Yammy F150B, Sea Star hydraulic steering (not the $2,800 upgrade), and SPS and we love it! Could it be nicer if I could steer with one finger? Easier for sure, but better? I'm not 24, but 68 and have no trouble steering.

I am also a car nut, and just because in the 1960's power steering became available that allowed steering with one finger, I usually still preferred using two hands to drive. Now currently road feedback is valued more than overboosted steering (especially in performance situations) and hardly anyone makes an overboosted powersteering. Are boats different from cars? Sure, they are but the SeaStar is more than adequate. I know I'll get flamed here (my suit is on, so I don't care) but just check with Bennington on just how many 21-24 foot boats have the full power assist. I believe the numbers will speak loudly that it is more than adequate. It's not my intent to talk you out of spending your $$, but rather that you asked for feedback from those without the full power steering. The $2,800 is slightly more than 50% of the cost for the SPS package. It's your money, either way you will enjoy your boat.

I'd say 18%. We're closing in on spring time so the incentive offered to early buyers is dwindling. I guess I'm not the youngest to have bought a Benny. I was 27 when I bought our first one!

Thank you guys for the responses! The dealer doesn't charge for rigging or freight so that adds some more value I am waiting on a response to my offer, LOL. Talk about excited.

I have P/S on the big boat and hydraulic on the fishing boat.  The only time the hydraulic is inconvenient is when coming into the dock in wind and waves, and you need to shift the motor with your right hand.  Power assist would make it easier but it is doable with out it.  and i am wayyyyyyy past 24.    

Back