Was I on Candid Camera???

Adam2012

Reaction score
Boat is finally on the water but 55 degrees is a bit cool for cruising, so we just hung out while docked. First time putting the playpen cover on by myself- I SWEAR if anyone took video of this adventure it would have been one for the ages!! I am SURE it will get easier - had to stop several times throughout just to laugh at myself crawling around underneath....

Yes, putting that thing on is a real adventure. I've been covering boats for years, but had a lot of trouble with this one too and it was on a stationary lift, not even bobbing up and down in the water.

On my previous pontoon, I was laying on the sundeck, reaching over the rear corner to snap the cover and over I went, down the side, into the water. Now that would have been a wild video! To top it off, I cracked two ribs when I hit the corner cleat on the way down and spent the rest of the summer in complete misery. Be careful out there ;-)

We finally have it down pat, 5 minutes or less off or on.

Unsnap port side, flip it over, unsnap starboard, flip it back, and roll up front to rear.

Reverse to install.... Extended deck would make it a little easier ......

Yes, putting that thing on is a real adventure. I've been covering boats for years, but had a lot of trouble with this one too and it was on a stationary lift, not even bobbing up and down in the water.

On my previous pontoon, I was laying on the sundeck, reaching over the rear corner to snap the cover and over I went, down the side, into the water. Now that would have been a wild video! To top it off, I cracked two ribs when I hit the corner cleat on the way down and spent the rest of the summer in complete misery. Be careful out there ;-)
Ouch !!!!!!

That reminds me... If I'm hauling for 3 to 4 hours down the interstate 70 to 80 mph. Do I need something other than the playpen cover? If so what? (And the cost needs to be less that $500, a house or storage closer to my destination is not an option)

I travel from eastern Iowa: to Lake Michigan, to Brainerd, to the Ozarks, etc, etc. I go go go.... ;) freinds and family have homes and lodges, I'm providing the boat.

Curious if there is a long haul option for a cover and if anyone has one.

The playpen cover is not recommended for this. Do a search for "trailering cover" as you definitely need one!

Thank you!

Yup what TomS said .....

See here ....

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam, my first boat bought in September 2009 was a 1998 SeaArk Suntastic, after battling with that mooring cover that had shrunk the Benny's is a breeze but yes it does get a lot easier with some practice

Been there, done that, looked stupid, still probably do.

What I've learned is back to front, or one side to the other if you are on the boat at the time (depends if dock is in front or on the side). Do your escape route last. I've crawled under a few times.

If its on the trailer, you can do it all while on the ground except the stern (at least on mine).

You will get it down to a science. This is our 6th year 3rd bennie and we have to relearn it each year, It is still better with a copilot but can be done on your own. Good Luck and welcome to the party

Just a suggestion. I have one of these "Top Snapper" tools from Overton's.

http://www.overtons....ils.cgi?i=72146

I hang it on the back of the rear gate for when I remove the cover. When putting the cover on, it's a nice way to get a little more reach and a firmer and direct press on each snap. Worth every penny to me.

View attachment 540

I hang it on the back of the rear gate for when I remove the cover. When putting the cover on, it's a nice way to get a little more reach and a firmer and direct press on each snap. Worth every penny to me.
I love that tool. I have it hanging next to the toon by the control box for the lift. It makes short work of unsnapping and no worry about a broken snap from pulling on the cover.Our old cover was made of a heavier material which was easier to handle. It pretty much stayed where you put it and the new cover is like a parachute.

Make sure you lube the snaps. It is a big help. I do all the snaps the first time of the season.

Here is it at amazon with the lube .$2.50 more but no tax or shipping .

The lube is 2.0 oz @ Amazon - $11.57

0.4 @ Overtons .- $4.99

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_11?url=search-alias%3Dsporting&field-keywords=top%20snapper&sprefix=top+snapper%2Caps%2C240

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you lube the snaps. It is a big help. I do all the snaps the first time of the season.
Absolutely. 2 tubes of Chap Stick are always on board for that reason!

I did buy the Star Brite Lube. I figure it will last me till I change boats.

Back