Wave shield project

hapehour

Reaction score
I`m starting on a wave shield project for my 22ssl. I will try to document what I do and how I do it. I will post dimensions for templates and drawings. I should get something posted today, hopefully it won`t take to long but I would guess a couple week project with my schedule. Wish me luck.

Good luck with the project.

Smoother ride and no surging. When the water from the toons splashes up it hits the cross members and acts like an anchor. With the shield the water will just splash off the underside without the drag..That`s the theory at least

-----test pic

I got started and made good progress.

--getting started under toon. There is an existing shield on port side next to fuel pod

After some measuring and cutting on some hobby foam I have a few templates in place.

---Rear of toons

---another shot of rear by fuel pod

---this is the existing wave shield on port side, nice factoy riviting huh. They even put the plate washer in backwards...

---this is the template for next to the fuel pod its 6' long with a taper

---this is the template for the flat area-I will need 2 4'x4' and 1 2'x4'

---this is the 2'x4' section,this is how far forward I will be going for now

---another shot of the front

---and yet another

---Heres my sketch for the sheet metal shop along with my templates for fabrication.

---And heres my workshop..
I have all the measurements and templates cut so im off the the sheet metal guy in the morning. I hope it all fits and works..

By the way, the cost. The wave shield through the dealer is $566.00 +tax, drop shipping and installation. I think I can do it for around $300.00 in material.

Looking good Mike. Keep us posted on the progress, and that'll be the best money you've ever spent on your toon.

Mike,

You might want to consider a viberation damper between the wave shield and cross member. I used a sticky on one side foam tape I got from the local pickup camper store. Tape was like $5 per roll and seems like it took 2-3 rolls. Might be overkill bu I did't want an issue of viberation noise.

That may be a good idea,I didn`t think about that. I dropped off the sketch and templates to the tin knocker this morning. He said it may be ready by this afternoon. Was going to rivet the panels in place with a pneumatic riveter. The more I think about it I may want to remove these panels for wiring accessories. I think if I use s/s self tapping button heads with a little bit of never-sieze that might be better. Im open to any and all ideas of why yes or no to the self tappers. Thanks in advance

By the way, I had the tin knocker cut the panels 2'x4' instead of 4'x4'. I can get them in my car and will be a little easier to get into place by myself.So thats a total of 5 24''x48'' panels.

Since the factory rivets the panels, I would follow their protocol.

I was thinking of doing this too, does anyone know if doing this yourself will void the warranty from bennington?

I was thinking of doing this too, does anyone know if doing this yourself will void the warranty from bennington?
To my knowledge NO, AS LONG AS THE STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY was not compromised, which drilling small holes should not hurt it.

Well I can`t believe it but the tin knocker called and it`s done.I already picked it up and test fitted the rear pod section and the first square panel. Like a glove! He didn`t have any .050 so he went with .064 14 gage aluminum. I got a better deal than i thought, he charged me $230 for the 7 pcs cut and broke.He also gave me a scrap piece for testing cleaners and polishes and pilot holes, basically destructive testing.

---new wave shield laid out, the smaller piece fills in the section in front of the fuel pod.

---from another angle.

--and another.

---test fit from rear.

---test fit from front.I was almost hoping everyone would say self tappers would work great, but even I know better than that.Remediation has a point about riveting vs screws, so Im pretty sure it will be rivets. The tape underneth the joints I have to think about. My concern will be as the tape breaks down will the panels loosen up. I do have a roll of a sticky rubber striping for roofs, its about a 1/16'' thick but I dont think it will break down..Any thoughts are welcomed.

They don't use anything from the factory. Just saying.

I don't think good rivets will loosen that quick. Just use something thick enough to prevent rattle, but not too thick to give over time.

By the way, looking like it's gonna turn out sharp.

Great price too !!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how you got your price, but it is really good. My local metal guy is quoting me $90/sheet for .032 and wants another $25/sheet to cut it, one cut per sheet. I'm really starting to rethink this guy.

Also, if the dealer does it, is it covered by the 7 year Bennie warranty?

I think by going with the smaller 2'x4' pcs it allowed him to use some smaller sheets, helps him get rid of stock and I got a better price. He had full sheets but I bet he got rid of his partials.

I think it would be covered by warranty if the dealer installs benningtons factory wave shield. It`s $566 plus tax, drop ship charge and install, I would guess about a grand altogether.

I`m not worried about the warranty on the wave shield, not much can happen to it anyways just as long as its installed properly.

CWAG and SEMPER, both good points,thanks

Curious on the warranty aspect as well as I would like this done to our boat. I wish our dealer would have suggested this...

Well I have all my rivet holes all laid out. Heres some more pics for reference. Now all I have to do is get a rivet gun and some rivets.It looks like were going to be getting rain over the next few days so I will be working on this weather permitting.

---rear shield next to fuel pod

---filler panel in front of fuel pod

--- 2'x4' panel starting in front of fuel pod

Back