Wave shield project

Here`s my latest update. I picked up a box of ss rivets from fastenal and a rivet gun from harbor freight. Needless to say even the biggest gun they had won`t pop the ss rivets. So I went and exchanged the ss for aluminum rivets. I looked up under the toon and all the factory rivets are aluminum also so it should be just fine. I picked up 3/16'' dia rivets and the range is 3/16''-3/8'' for depth. The total of material to be riveted is 1/4''. Currently I am center punching and drilling out my layout holes, btw the rivets came with a pilot bit in the box. It looks to be a #11 but I could be wrong my eyesight sucks this late at night. So im all ready to install as soon as the weather clears up, I don`t think it will take long at all even by myself...HAPEHOUR

I have a Bostich riveter that anyone is welcome to if you pay postage. It's not made in China and I used it for automotive stuff.

Latest update--I have all the sheets drilled an de burred. I have installed the rear section next to the fuel pod and the first 2'x4' section along with the fill piece in front of the fuel pod.I decided not to use anything in between the joints, its aluminum to aluminum. So far it all fits amazingly well with no rattle or oil can noise. Hopefully the weather holds out, if so I will have it complete tomorrow...Here`s some pics

---sheets drilled and ready to go

---harbor freight rivet gun

---these are the rivets I used

---rear section next to fuel pod installed

---rear sections installed from front of toon

---fill piece in front of fuel pod

---And just for fun, I found the new party tube for the sandbar

---This is available at sams club

Lookin good !!!

Nice job!!

COMPLETED!!! Well almost. I think I am going to sheet the first 4 feet at the bow also. Everything fit so nice and it went so easy I might just as well do it all.Well I hope this helps anyone thinking about doing this to there toon. I figured if I did this I could document what I did and make it a little easier for someone else. I did this once before when I built a cobra replica, it was a great help to a lot of builders. I also followed what other builders posted and that made things easy but it was just never complete, it was never start to finish. You had to pull info from many to get the info needed, I hate this mentality. Most guys just want to show off there handy work but not provide the info so you can do the same thing.I tried to be as complete as I could.

I will post more pics when I finish the bow section but for now here`s the finished wave shield.

1/2'' pvc conduits installed in every bay from toon to toon 8' long piece for future wiring

1/2'' pvc conduits installed in every bay from toon to toon 8' long piece for future wiring

View of the forward section

View of the forward section,this shows how far I went at the nose cone

Forward section starboard side

Forward section starboard side

View from front

View from front

View from the rear

No string, it will probably never get used but if needed it will be a life saver. When I built my house I wired it with 2000' of 8 conductor wire for alarms,intercoms,camera,etc.That was 16yrs ago, wireless didn`t exist then. I just finally used a few wires for a phone jack..lol Kinda stupid with cordless phones and all.It never hurts to think ahead.

My project is done. The tin knocker charged me $110.00 for the 2 forward sections. All toll it was $340.00 for the entire wave shield, and $40.00 for rivets. Heres some pics of the bow section completed.

---Rough sketch of bow shield.

---Completed templates and wave shield pieces.

---Completed templates and wave shield pieces.

---Of course I needed a helper.

---Bow section installed.

---Bow section installed.

---Trailer hook area, I used alum angle to add stiffness and to protect hands from jagged edges.

---Trailer hook area, I used alum angle to add stiffness and to protect hands from jagged edges.

---My reward for a job well done.

Reward? That looks more like torture to me! Lol i prefer a cold beverage to reward myself, looks like you went the other direction...

...now that I think about it.

You are a genius!!!! Drink the "fire juice" then you have to drink MORE cold beverages! BRILLIANT!

P.S. nice work on the wave shield!

That beer is really not hot, just a tickle. I was surprised how good it is. That`s what I brought back from a wine tour in the finger lakes, wish I had more.

And I thought it was hot sauce. :wacko:

Carl, you're not alone.

Rockie69 <----- so did this guy.

:D Now I don't feel so dumb.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm now intrigued. Beer fused with habanero... Now I'm on a mission to find said beverage. Thanks for the education and insight.

I'm now intrigued. Beer fused with habanero... Now I'm on a mission to find said beverage. Thanks for the education and insight.
Have you ever had a jalapeno margarita ?

Not bad .

Not frozen ," shaken not stirred" include 2 slices of Fresh jalapeno .rim the glass with salt and cayenne mixture ,enjoy .

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you ever had a jalapeno margarita ?

Not bad .

Not frozen ," shaken not stirred" include 2 slices of Fresh jalapeno .rim the glass with salt and cayenne mixture ,enjoy .
Not yet. That too sounds good! I shall seek or create that as well.

Just curious, I have not had the toon out yet. Doe`s anyone have enough experience to tell me what will be the most notable difference with the wave shield? Thanks in advance..

Just curious, I have not had the toon out yet. Doe`s anyone have enough experience to tell me what will be the most notable difference with the wave shield? Thanks in advance..
This video was posted earlier .http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cK67dnWeXUk

Back