Well, the time has come to say goodbye...

lakeliving

Reaction score
...to Michigan. I accepted an offer in sunny Florida so we'll be selling up here and moving there at the end of this month. It will be a big change but we're excited to see what the future holds for us down there. The plan is to buy waterfront so we'll be on the intercoastal and Atlantic. It will be weird having the ability to boat 12 months a year compared to 5. I know we have a lot to learn going from a small inland lake to big water so it will be a learning curve for sure.

When we ordered our benny 4 years ago we ordered it with the saltwater package so it is coming with us! I want to add a trolling motor for working the mangroves, add a portapotty, changine room and upgrade the garmin.

Sounds exciting! Looking forward to hearing all about it. Have you picked out a specific location yet?

Congrats and welcome to sunny Florida!

Congrats! I know you’ve been thinking of a move like this for a while.

Looking at the Stuart area. With the St Lucie river system there it allows for more waterfront options and won't be far from the office. It's not the best time to move with that area in season right now but something will line up.

Tom, if you guys ever do the great loop and cut through Lake O to get to the Atlantic you'll have a place to tie up and dock for the night.

Last edited:
That is AWESOME! Congratulations!

Nicely played. I think you'll very much enjoy year-round boating and away from the tundra. Congrats!

Thanks guys. Now comes the fun part or orchestrating a move across country, selling our house, some of the toys (worst season for it) and the holidays so it is going to be a busy 4 weeks for us.

Thanks guys. Now comes the fun part or orchestrating a move across country, selling our house, some of the toys (worst season for it) and the holidays so it is going to be a busy 4 weeks for us.

Obviously we just went through all that, not a lot of fun, but we managed to survive. We sold and donated a TON first. We also used UPack.com to move our self packed and "difficult to move" stuff, like a pole barn full of tools. It worked out great for us, quite economical vs renting and driving a truck. You just pay by the foot. Very happy with their service.

Congrats Lakeliving! So you're not coming to North Carolina? Was looking forward to meeting you guys. I'm happy for you and your family!

Moving is NOT fun!

We told the kids to take whatever they wanted. Then we sold a bunch of stuff on Craigslist and other sites. Whatever we didn't sell we donated to various organizations. We really downsized big time. Basically took the essentials in one 29 ft. Uhaul truck. Then bought what we needed when we moved in.

We have friends that just moved down here. They paid movers to move all of their stuff in storage here. Then when they were ready they paid a local crew to move their stuff in their new home. It wasn't expensive and they (and I) never lifted a box. Ha!

Regarding the move we are fortunate that the new employer is providing a full relocation package. So that includes packing up the current house, putting it in storage, and then moving it into our final destination. There are some other perks regarding home buying and misc. expenses. The down side is they don't move.....boats or jet skis. So we'll have them ship the one car, and we'll get to do the fun road trip towing the boat down. I've only towed about 30 miles to a destination before so I need to grease the bearings, bring the spare, jack, sockets etc in addition to checking pressure etc. Should make for a fun drive:eek:. Hopefully we don't have snow on the roads up here when we leave or I'll just have to come back for it. We've already begun the liquidation process. Friends are buying our house and big lift so that is all set.

Just stick them in the Mississippi and float them down. They should make it down there by the time you're settled and ready to boat.

Congrats, Andy! You'll love the South! Good luck with the move. Hope all goes well.

Thanks Randy.

Sorry you're not moving here but glad it's all working out for you. And hey..............we'll have a place to visit in Florida when we cruise.

Yeah Lake Norman would have been fun but the company was having some financial problems. (Toshiba)

My soon to be new employer is solid financially and based on market cap...is the largest in its field so that is good. Swing on by Carl! We'll be an hour and half from Ft Lauderdale.

Just keep your head low as those hurricanes come whizzing past you! Go ahead and buy the plywood, and cut it to fit the windows around your house.

Yeah Lake Norman would have been fun but the company was having some financial problems. (Toshiba)

My soon to be new employer is solid financially and based on market cap...is the largest in its field so that is good. Swing on by Carl! We'll be an hour and half from Ft Lauderdale.
North or south?

North.

Congratulations. It sounds like you are excited to move down there. If weather is bad by the time you are moving (snow and ice v. Towing), perhaps you could just keep the boat and jet skis in storage and come back for them in the spring?

Back