Welcome to Club Bennington

An official club forum for Bennington boats

Login Register

Well, the time has come to say goodbye...

Discussion in 'Dock Talk' started by lakeliving, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Michiman

Michiman Well-Known Member

Andy, I would personally keep them inflated as close to max as you can. There is a reason that the mfg. put that on the sidewall. Tom's suggestion for the infrared temp sensor is a pretty good idea as well. Back when i used to tow, I'd just stop and grab the hub by hand. Thankfully, it was always cool so I knew there wasn't any trouble brewing. I'd also bring along two spares. If you purchase from a national retailer, you could always return them once you get to Florida. All I can say is that on our weekly trips to the cottage, I can always count on seeing at least one boat with a flat. Don't let it be you!

2. Rockie69

Rockie69 Well-Known Member

If it were me. I'd entertain having a 3rd part trailer it/them down, or maybe rent a trailer big enough to put both boat and Jet ski's on. Moving is stressful enough, paying a little extra to keep your sanity might be worth it.

3. lakeliving

lakeliving Well-Known Member

All great points so thank you. We're just going to take our time and live in the slow lane. We won't be in a hurry. I guess picking up another spare isn't a bad idea. Cheap insurance.

cwag911 likes this.
  4. Spoiledrotten

Spoiledrotten Well-Known Member

Use the specified air pressures. You might get by with dropping it 10#, but not more than that. I've been towing a 33' 5th wheel for over 10 years, and I always use the pressure on the side of the tire. They will heat up and blow out quickly if you under inflate. May sure they aren't dry rotted. If they are over 6 years old, replace before taking a long highway trip. As far as mirror extenders, I don't know what you are pulling with, but I pull with the F-250 turbo diesel, and I just pull my mirrors out to get the ext. visual. BTW, this may have already been addressed, but I didn't read past the quoted lines above.

5. lakeliving

I'll be towing with a 2017 Silverado 1500. It does not have the towing mirrors so I was looking at the slip on ones. I'll have to bump the pressure up on the tires. I always thought 80lbs seemed ridiculous. This isn't a cross town trip!

6. Remediation

Remediation Well-Known Member

Lake Cumberland KY - White Oak Community Dock
    Don't worry about the 12" tires. We have the 10" on the Hoosier trailer at 90 psi. Never had a problem until we got the new trailer with a different brand of tires. Lost 2 tires on the Canada trip. I bought 4 new tires of the old brand that I never had a problem with. We take a bottle jack, big 1/2" drive breaker bar, 6" extension and the proper 1/2 drive sockets. I can change a tire by myself in 8 minutes. (I found that out in a bad section of Detroit this year)

lakeliving likes this.
  7. lakeliving

Good to know Bruce. You fit right in with the locals being able to remove and rim and tire that fast!!!

adkboater and cwag911 like this.
  8. The Wanderer2

The Wanderer2 Active Member

I pull my boat from Garden City, Michigan to Cape Coral, Florida every fall and back to Michigan in the spring. I also travel from Michigan to places like Table Rock, Lake Lanier and Torch Lake during the summer and back to Michigan. I drive between 70 and 75 mph all the time. My advise is good tires properly inflated and grease the bearing. Also, repack the bearing every other year. After the first 100 miles or so, I forget the boat is back there, until I need gas. You need to plan how to get in and out of gas stations when pulling a boat.

Michiman, lakeliving and cwag911 like this.
  9. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

Just take your time. My trailer has 13 inch tires and they did well. Check for any dry rot on the sidewalls as well as in the tread. How old are they?

I had my bearings checked, cleaned, and repacked before leaving on my tow to North Carolina. Excellent advice from Tom about checking your hubs at every stop. We had the bearings and hub overheat on my first boat trailer on a trip. Got so hot all of the grease came out and splattered all over the wheel.

Also check your lights.

10. lakeliving

Tires are 4 years old. Up until last year the trailer lived in a garage. It hardly has any miles on it either. Can you over grease a bearing? If I pop the caps off and give it some decent grease will that hurt anything?

Lights were just replaced and tested on Saturday.

11. cwag911

cwag911 Moderator

Too much grease can build up pressure and blow the seal out.

Michiman and gnc1017 like this.
  12. TomS

TomS Well-Known Member

Of course Carl is absolutely right, you can put too much grease in, and it happens all the time.

At my suggestion for our 4 year old trailer, the buyer had the local dealer repack the bearings and he was only going to Indy. I would definitely do at least that, especially going that far. Tires can easily dry rot in 4 years, though mine seemed just fine as our trailer was stored indoors all the time too.

cwag911 likes this.
  13. dannyleininger

dannyleininger Active Member

Carl, Congrats on the move south. I’m looking forward to meeting some Florida Benny owners. We will be taking delivery of our 22ssx about Feb 1st. I was born in south Florida and have boated salt water most of my life. I’m guessing you will love having 12 month access to your Benny and having the Intercoastal Waterway nearby is a big plus. I’m just south of Orlando, about 2 hours drive from Staurt. Good luck on the move!

lakeliving and cwag911 like this.
  14. cwag911

cwag911 Moderator

Danny, It's Lakeliving that's moving to Florida. I've been in NC since 2006.

lakeliving likes this.
  15. dannyleininger

opps! Sorry about that!

Hey Andy...check out the message I sent to Carl which was meant for you!!!

16. lakeliving

Hi Dan! We're pretty excited to get down there and find a place. We are meeting with our realtor at the end of next week to look around and potentially make some offers. I won't even mess with the boat until we find something. I'll be picking your brain regarding boating in FL.

cwag911 likes this.
  17. dannyleininger

Andy, anytime! BTW, my area of experience is Ft Lauderdale, Miami, the Keys and the Bahamas.

SEMPERFI8387 and cwag911 like this.