Well, we did it!

It looks like a lot of blood, sweat, and tears went into that wiring job but it turned out great! I really like the battery monitor setup.

Hopefully only a couple weeks to heal up all the cuts and bruises from climbing around in there in the rain ;)

Nice work Derrick! She's a beaut Clark!

Looks really good. I hope you have a late summer so you can enjoy that great ride.

I hope we have a late summer too since so far we really haven't had one!! The cuts and bruises aren't as bad as the mosquito bites and kinks in my neck and back from being contorted under that helm and between the loungers!!! Thanks everyone for you kind words, truly makes it feel like family! I also should say thanks to all the members who helped answer and helped research the best ways and products to use, and in that case a big thanks to Tim White from Wet Sounds for providing all the best products to use!!!

Oh, and here's something funny, wife says to me, I think we need to add some more speakers, maybe a couple more up front and what about on the tower?" oh boy. It makes me smile and cringe all at the same time!! So, Bennington, is there a way to run more wire up that tower? I'm thinking there must be based on the anchor light being there, but don't know how tough that would be!!

Derick; the boat looks great. I bet your a happy camper!!!

Hey question about your battery's. have you run the Northstar Battery's b4? I'm using a similar battery Im using west marines Sea Volt AGM group 31your batts are 92 amp hrs each and my'n are just a bit heavier and are 105 amp hrs each.

I'm running 6 of them in the wake boat.

Just wondering what your impression of the batts is. Carry on :)

Hey Gee, nope I've never used them before, the biggest difference between yours and mine is yours are "regular" AGM, whereas the Northstar's are a Thin Plate Pure Lead (TPPL) batteries, like Odyssey ones. The difference is cycles and how low you can discharge. Yours are rated for 300 cycles down 60% and the Northstar are 400 cycles down 80%. Mine also have a higher CCA, which could be useful with our Canadian summers! Haha So they look good on paper. Real world I have no idea. I was told that's what the military uses so they should be good, but I have no knowledge of that. Oh, and mine are PHYSICALLY heavier! Haha I just looked at what specs I could find and they seemed like a good choice. My cousin runs I believe 4 stereo specific Deka group 31's and he hasn't had any problems.

Love your after teak deck with the ivory trim. :) Gerry

Love your after teak deck with the ivory trim. :) Gerry
I loved the look of yours so that's why we got it! I do kind of wish it went all the way back to the start of the loungers, just to visually separate the space, but still super happy!!

Looks really nice. Now just need to get some hours on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Derick; sounds good. The extra 7lbs each your battery's are I'm sure is all extra lead in the plates. And that's a god thing. I have been threw a few diffrent brands of battery's and Spe's are only 1 part of the equation. Real life usage from people like yourself Are another part. I like to keep my ear to The ground about new products and if I hear good reviews I give them a closer look. I tend to only take manufactures posted info about their product with the grain of salt. IMO most of the posted info is just propaganda to hype sales. Real life usage is IMO the best info out their.

What do you think of the W/S sub? I like how your helm is not taken up with a giant sub box. I know a single 10 is not gonna be earth shaking and more of something to help fill in sound.

I'm gonna do a system in the Q and Im gonna go with all 8inc w/s speakers. I'm gonna try and get a bunch if mid bass out of the 8s and see if I can get by. I'm not gonna go to crazy, if I wanna make some serious bass then I just take out the other boat that has 4- 12 inc JL W-7s :)

Derick; sounds good. The extra 7lbs each your battery's are I'm sure is all extra lead in the plates. And that's a god thing. I have been threw a few diffrent brands of battery's and Spe's are only 1 part of the equation. Real life usage from people like yourself Are another part. I like to keep my ear to The ground about new products and if I hear good reviews I give them a closer look. I tend to only take manufactures posted info about their product with the grain of salt. IMO most of the posted info is just propaganda to hype sales. Real life usage is IMO the best info out their.

What do you think of the W/S sub? I like how your helm is not taken up with a giant sub box. I know a single 10 is not gonna be earth shaking and more of something to help fill in sound.

I'm gonna do a system in the Q and Im gonna go with all 8inc w/s speakers. I'm gonna try and get a bunch if mid bass out of the 8s and see if I can get by. I'm not gonna go to crazy, if I wanna make some serious bass then I just take out the other boat that has 4- 12 inc JL W-7s :)
I agree about specs, I also liked the Jp magazine did a review of winch usage, which as my old 8000lb Warn winch showed me, can be he'll on batteries!! Anyway, Northstar came out on top, even over Odyssey. Now I realize that stereo draws are of a different nature than winch, but both are hard on batteries and both can draw huge amps. I know a lot of people also like the XS Power batteries for car/atv/boat stereos, but I have no easy access to that product. I read a TON of reviews from every different source I could find and I think the TPPL is the way to go. One thing, and was also on here as well, did state about Yamaha not recommending AGM batteries, but it was quite a while ago and was determined to be more of a gel battery issue from what I understood. It was also more directed towards the motor charging them, since mine are stand alone, I didn't really care. That is one thing though, these things will take WHATEVER kind of amperage you throw at them!! There is very little resistance! Watch the odyssey video if you haven't already, I found it quite informative.

As for the sub, that little beauty punches good and hard!! I still have to try some of my extreme bass CD's, but was waiting until I ran the SMD Distortion Detector. My cousin swears by it. He just added 4 of the 808's into his MB Sports boat, I haven't had a chance to get out and hear it yet, but I will ask him his opinion. He has I believe 8-10 of the xs-650's, 4x808's, 4x REV10's, a REV410, I think just one 12XXX running off 4 of the new sinister series amps, those amps are absolutely amazing! The power output is ridiculous! I have one of Wet Sounds EQ's, but don't have anywhere to mount it!! Makes me sad, I would have liked to. I was going to cut a hole in the dash on the flat part right below the gps, but there is a bolt in the way, plus WS didn't really design it to be flush mounted, it only has around 2mm to spare around the faceplate part on top and bottom. I don't trust my hand to be that steady and didn't want to screw up my dash! Too bad.

Hopefully some of this helps you, based on your tow boat, I'm thinking whatever you do in the Q will be top notch and blow my little stereo to shame, but it works for me.......for now! Haha

Here is a bunch more pics!! Love this thing!

Great shots there Sir!!! You've infected me with PADS!! (Don't worry it is transferred through photos, not through physical contact!)

Haha, thanks Andy, happy you enjoyed them, I can't tell you how much I enjoyed making them!! Then again, you own a Benny so you already know!

That is one awsome toon Derrick, and the pics could rival Gees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome pics, awesome toon !!! I am jealous !!! That is a thing of beauty !!!

Well I actually have to give credit for the pics to the wife, she waded out in the 67* water to take them, I just got told to "Get Down!! Your head is in the shot!" I guess boats look better when they look abandoned !! Haha Just wish we had some of the beautiful scenery like Gee has for that draw dropping shot!

Well I actually have to give credit for the pics to the wife, she waded out in the 67* water to take them, I just got told to "Get Down!! Your head is in the shot!" I guess boats look better when they look abandoned !! Haha Just wish we had some of the beautiful scenery like Gee has for that draw dropping shot !
That is a matter of opinion lol, I would rather be surrounded with beautiful wilderness like your pics show rather than desert, not saying Gees photos are not nice but wilderness is to my liking a bit more.

What is the name of the lake you boat on Derrick?

Also did you give up some front deck space for the tower model? Looks like the front fence goes all the way to the front of the deck, That would be a turn off for me, I need my front deck space.

Back