What does Mercury have up its sleeve?

While that would be fun for a few moments I don't think these speeds make sense in an open boat unless you have a useful windshield. Unfortunately, the Bennington one looks pretty small in the pics. We saw a Crest Continental at the boat show today that had a fabulous windshield (tall!), though it otherwise was nothing close to a Bennington. That said, a 400R would be pretty cool, but I'm not sure how that Sporty lower unit would work out on a pontoon. I'm sure someone will test it soon enough ;-)
Std unit vs Sport lower unit was like 3000 buck discount yo the 31000

Windshield- pffft, good set of Maui Jim wrap a rounds. My little ones dancing the Harlem Shake or what ever is cool today up front at 60mph. It's all good. I may not put up the second Bimini-might void the warranty.

That new 1550 is serious money!  Engine alone is $163,467. Package deal with drive and transom goes for $230,240.  Cost aside, it's a sexy looking hunk of metal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow.

The race setting of the full 1550hp takes 112 octane racing fuel, but the "pleasure" setting of 1350hp only needs 91. Such a deal.

I still can't wrap my head around marine engine costs. $230k for just the motor is crazy. what are they hoping to sell in 2015....6?

I still can't wrap my head around marine engine costs. $230k for just the motor is crazy. what are they hoping to sell in 2015....6?
More sales than you might think. Go to a poker run and you'll see people that drop this kind of toy money like we buy cheeseburgers.

Reactions: Cam
I get the "runs" just thinking about dropping that much cash on an engine...wow.

I am impressed. We have a big poker run out here called desert storm. It is an expensive sport, unless your sponsored. I have friends who partake and I enjoy big power. The wife put the boot on going bigger with twins and wanted a pontoon. The irony is that most of my buddy's are getting rid of their performance boats and getting toons; or adding a toon to the fleet. Maybe it is getting older or having grandchildren or the loss of a close friend who was racing his boat and died, but the toon meets my and my families needs. None the less, if Bennington clears my boat for a merc 400, and the wife doesn't scream too loud, I will be giving very serious consideration to trading in my 300 for the 400.

Cheers, Steve

Wonder how many GPH that beast would get at my cruise speed of 8 - 15 MPH

I clearly have the wrong job.  Did you see the light weight one?

Pretty funny to see the funny side of Mercury.  Makes me proud to be a Mercury owner.

Actually, had the local marinas and service shops sold Yamaha, I'd be a Yamaha owner.

Glad I'm not an Allstate owner (insuree) anymore.  Love the Mayhem commercials though.  Just tired of paying for them.  Funny, they quit making them now that I'm not a customer anymore...

Last edited by a moderator:
11535832_1619861628261451_1794489111167201660_n.jpg

When did Warren Buffet get into boating? Wow

I am guessing that set up is capable of guzzling a gallon of gas in about 2 seconds at full load.
5 x 30 gal/hour @full rpm = 2.5 gal/minute or .04 gal/second ~$600/hr. Yeah, definitely sucks down a bunch of fuel.

Probably $5k just in props, at least if they're just stock.

Pocket change for that guy  B)

I had a Cigarette 38' Top Gun that held 220 gallons. Running Merc 500 EFI's I could easily drain the tanks in a weekend running offshore. Fun times, but it get's expensive...

Back