What to expect when boat arrives?

Come Monday

Reaction score
Apparently our 2350RBR is shipping today. Dealer says it should be here Wednesday. My question to all of you experienced new boat buyers is:

What should I expect?

Should I look for anything specific during my inspection?

How long does it take to rig? I want to go boating!

Is a cleaning and detail included?

I've never bought a new boat and want to feel educated before I go in.

Thanks for any advice.

Congratulations .

If you can be there when it is unwrapped ,I would do that .

Then again after it is rigged and assembled and before anything is finalized.  Do a walk through looking at everything .Including the under deck wave shield if you have one .I also took pics ,I plan on  doing it again for this walk through 

I read recent post here someone just had a panel  that was a tad cockeyed .

It is easier for the dealer to repair it now than if you find it later .

Come Monday,

I have the same boat on order, only a month behind you. I would also be curious if there are any other tidbits of advice that forum members can add for new boat owners. Congrats on your purchase and I am curious to hear what you think of the boat.

Make sure you open everything and turn on everything (except the motor). Open all the seats and bimini and just look at everything. You'll know if something doesn't look right.

Bennington sends a check list with every boat. The dealer is to go over every part of the boat with you after it has been set up. Things get checked as he goes along. There is a sea trial then again the dealer is to cover all aspects Once the list is complete it is given to you to review and if all points have been covered you sign it. The dealer will then mail it to Bennington to review. If anything is missed or not corrected Bennington will follow up. You will receive a survey in the mail in a week or two. It rates the boat, and the dealer It is IMPORTANT to fill this in and return it for your good and the good of all involved. If things have to be addressed that's the time to GET ER DUN!

One of the most important things in equiping a new boat is getting the correct prop installed.  This is important for optimum performance and longevity of your new outboard. Ask the dealer tech about the ideal rpm range at wide open throttle so it can be verified after break-in.  If it is not fitted correctly you will need to test another prop.

Congratulations.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the sake of humor, when the boat gets here you can expect the following.

1. Your grass will be taller between mowings.

2. Your wife will either learn to trailer a boat, or back a trailer down the ramp

2a. Your marriage will endure a stressful period on the ramp till you learn patience with whichever task she is responsible for. Its a long ride home.

3. You will buy a bigger cooler.

4. You will be addicted to this forum.

5. You will consider giving up all other hobbies in the summer.

6. Your children or grandchildren will have a better summer. 

7. You will have to endure idiots on the ramp. Try not to be one.

8. You will decide to give up all other hobbies in the summer.

For the sake of humor, when the boat gets here you can expect the following.

1. Your grass will be taller between mowings.

2. Your wife will either learn to trailer a boat, or back a trailer down the ramp

2a. Your marriage will endure a stressful period on the ramp till you learn patience with whichever task she is responsible for. Its a long ride home.

3. You will buy a bigger cooler.

4. You will be addicted to this forum.

5. You will consider giving up all other hobbies in the summer.

6. Your children or grandchildren will have a better summer. 

7. You will have to endure idiots on the ramp. Try not to be one.

8. You will decide to give up all other hobbies in the summer
Or eliminate  2/2a & 7 and keep at a marina . It sure is nice driving 7 miles unsnap and go .

Or eliminate  2/2a & 7 and keep at a marina . It sure is nice driving 7 miles unsnap and go .
Even nicer just walking out the front door.    :p

Ok, I just knew there would be some replies from the slip owners..haha.  I am 8 miles from the green river (ky) and 15 miles from the Ohio river, and about an hour from lake Malone and Rough River resort lake is a bit further, so I haul the 25 foot behemoth every singe time. I envy you guys.

I have the same  6 miles to the local lake that we go to two or three times a week. The Beautiful lake Keowee is about 70 miles. That's a full day 13/4 hrs. up and back on tank of gas (10 MPG.) :angry:  for the SUV plus 10 to 15 for Benni. I also envy those that release the lines and go :( . I was there when I lived in Mass.on Cape Cod had a boat at a yacht club, it's great.  No marina at the local lake so we do what we have to. I guess if we didn't like it we wouldn't do it. And yes my grass does grow faster, seems it needs cutting every time we want to go out. The Flowers? forget it. Life is good. :)

Even nicer just walking out the front door.    :p
Definitely agree with that. Can even go sit and read or bask in sun on it when you only have a short break.

Apparently our 2350RBR is shipping today. Dealer says it should be here Wednesday. My question to all of you experienced new boat buyers is:

What should I expect?

Should I look for anything specific during my inspection?

How long does it take to rig? I want to go boating!

Is a cleaning and detail included?

I've never bought a new boat and want to feel educated before I go in.

Thanks for any advice.
While I certainly would look at everything, touch everything, operate everything, listen to everything.... I also would advise you to smile a lot, bring a beverage or two that you like, enjoy the moment. If you have a friend that is a knowledgable boater, bring him or her along.

Really enjoy yourself. Unless you change boats a lot (some people do), you won't be doing this again for a long time.

From what HighPond posted it sounds like Bennington goes through the pains of scripting the delivery to the point that nothing is missed. They really want YOU to be happy.

Did I say smile a lot and enjoy yourself? It's why we buy these things.

CZ

I so want this to be an enjoyable experience

So far it has been stressful

Now that all the decisions are made

On May 1st hopefully sooner I will know if it is enjoyable 

89832097.jpg

I agree pghpa611, everyone says have a good time with it but it is a large purchase and especially for those of us that are novices to boating or it is the first pontoon.  I also stressed over if I was making the right decisions.  Upgrading to the 90 was the right move

Thank you Link

Now I don't have to worry about making the decision at the last moment

When we place in water at dealer's lake 

The thought that the boat would be delayed was not appealing 

And taking the smaller engine may of given me remorse daily for years

Never had to deal with anyone like me dealer , it is sooo unusual in the Pittsburgh Tri-State Area 

Calling Yamaha was beneficial today

90 HP 4 stroke engine will be perfect

Great call on going with the 90, IMHO.

What should I expect?
Miles of smiles !!!!

I'm at the point of no more worries. I've prepared myself to be excited and deal with any issues in a logical and pleasant manner.

Bennington is quality and if something isn't right, I'm sure with an honest discussion, they'll make it right.

So, my Bennington vacation is gonna start right here! Thanks for the responses - John.

Back